Ferrari Badge To Rear Of 246 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Badge To Rear Of 246

Discussion in '206/246' started by azboater, Jan 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

OOPS! Should be "Cavallino"

2. TomTerry

TomTerry Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    It wasn't a Ferrari so wasn't badged to the public as one.
    These may be some of the first to feel the downside of the economic recession where buyers hold off on partial original things.

3. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    This is even better than his flares discussion. We all own PARTIAL original things. At least it's just not the flares he dislikes.

4. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    TomTerry:

There's this little issue of supply and demand which also impacts prices as well. If the buyers you mention are holding off on the purchase of things original in part and we owners are holding onto our cars because we love them and can afford them, how have prices been affected? Cars would not be trading hands in the scenario you describe.

"Tiny, brilliant, safe...almost a Ferrari" is more than good enough for all of us.

Come on, break that piggy bank and join the fun.

...Keith

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I'm thinking that maybe TomTerry just might have to steal a few piggy banks first, and then break them . . . . :) I wonder what he would think about the wire wheels on a Dino thread.

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The origins of the Dino date back to its first concept in 1957 with the Jano/dino designed 1498cc V6. It was conceived for F2 which Mr Ferrari felt obliged to compete in

If my memory serves me correctly, Mr ferrari could not bear to see any of his cars below a V12, so thinking of a backlash from "ferrari owners" and bearing in mind this was in the late 60's, he described the car as a car within another make and called it the Dino.

The engine was designed by Ferrari, mass produced by Fiat and assembled by Maranello. The body was built by Scaglietti and assembled by Maranello. It was sold by Ferrari and is a recognised model in their portfolio.

Little did Mr Ferrari realise but it is the forerunner to all his subsequent rear engined cars up to today. It saved Ferrari and was a direct competitor to the 911 for which he craved.

To give further street cred (if it needs it) they are thinking of making a new dino

Enough said!

Hope the facts are correct, no doubt somebody will correct me if i am wrong.

7. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA

I'm by no means an expert, but Enzo didn't have any problem putting a 4 cyl in a Monza and calling it a Ferrari.

8. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    But there is also that oh-so-annoying raised "FIAT" logo in the engine casting. Fiat supplied many parts.
    Ferrari wanted to start the Dino off as a separate marque, like Scion is to Toyota.
    If you ever pick up a period Quattroroute and look in the back, it lists all the separate car makes and statistics about each. At that time, Ferrari and Dino were separate marques.

9. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Well, even better, I saw a 3 cylinder at the Galleria Ferrari in Maranello that the factory was using for testing and design consideration. I think there was an article about it, possibly in Rossa - I'll have to look through my copies. Oh, and if you google Galleria Ferrari Maranello you'll find some photos on flickr that show a Dino GT featured right next to an Enzo . . . .

10. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Dang! I'm stocking up on these things when that happens!

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

My car's PA title reads FERRARI 246GT NO mention of DINO anywhere.

So, MY CAR IS A FERRARI, the governing body in PA says so!!

12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i think the fact that dino ferrari was involved in the project had something to o with it too

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

nope, and depending on what side you fall on: cr*p or thank god

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    :)

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    oddly, i haven't come across a single tiletl, mine or others, that reads dino.

wonder what that means?

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i suspect the muscle car market will do this before anything else will

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

18. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    I think the issue of this thread was:
    Did Ferrari at the time the first 206 & 246 Dinos were produced, consider them Ferraris?
    Much evidence indicates they wanted the Dino separate.
    It was, according to the infamous Ferrari sales literature, "Almost a Ferrari".

Today, there is no question. The old man is long dead and Big Ferrari considers the Dino a Ferrari.

Thus spoke Zarathustra.

19. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Is a Scion a Toyota? Or an Acura a Honda?

20. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Well, the initial quesion was "is it true that the 246 never had any Ferrari badges attached from the factory?" (Post #1).

The response generally is: NO Ferrari badges GENERALLY on the outside of the car, but YES to Ferrari ID plates inside the car, and apparently some small handfull of Dinos had Ferrari script placed on the outside of the car AT THE FACTORY upon special request when they were picked up.

But, why does it matter?

From personal observation, the only people that seem to be fascinated and excited about the issue are non-Ferrari and non-Dino owners at car shows that are trying to impress others with their "knowledge" of Ferraris while trying to answer one of their buddies' question "why does that car that says 'Dino' on it is in the middle of the Ferrari section?"

21. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Any evidence of this?

22. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson

ZERO evidence.

The "issue" is people attempting to defend their Dinos as Ferraris then and now.

Any 206 or 246 judged at a concourse should be docked points for a "Ferrari" script on the boot.
    I'll bet the majority of top judges would agree.

23. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    That's what I thought.

24. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Zarathustra: Well the engines were made by Fiat, the bodies by Bertone, Ferrari only put the pieces together.

25. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    I think this thread is discussing the correctness of a "Ferrari" logo after-market-mounted on the boot of the first Dinos.

And we are talking about mainly about the 246, body designed by Pininfarina and built by Scaglietti.
    The 308 GT4 was a Bertone creation and was considered the last "Dino", per it's badging by the "factory",
    which I must grant you, is an obtuse but interesting point.