Ferrari Badge To Rear Of 246 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Badge To Rear Of 246

Discussion in '206/246' started by azboater, Jan 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Hi Tony,

Even if it was a mistake, Enzo´s mistakes should be respected.

We are not here to correct Enzo, I think that attitude is the very height of arrogance.

Enzo made many mistakes;

My 212 Inter is right hand-drive. Big mistake! Very few people raced their 212 Inters (the export was made for that), and to put the steering wheel on the racing side was truly silly. Yet I appreciate it for what it is, mistakes and all. It's part of the pleasure. I am not going to change the steering side.

My 250 PF SI only has four gears and no overdrive. Big mistake! Highways are torture, and if I change the ratios I will lose flexibility and/or low pull. Yet I appreciate it for what it is, mistakes and all. It's part of the pleasure. I am not going to change the gear box.

My 330 GTC... Ok, my 330 GTC is nearly perfect. That´s why sometimes it can be a bit boring...

But more than anything I (and my family) LOVE my Dino.

Cheers,

Julio

2. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA
    #127 sranderson, Feb 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Tony,

I’ll go along with you on that. I shouldn’t be posting on this topic because I truthfully don’t care if there is a Ferrari script on the boot, or shields on the fenders. My car was born without and that’s the way I’ll keep it.

The only reason I’m posting is because of your discussion on engine, gearbox & carbs. My car, 00988 246 "L", which was mostly original when I bought it, (neglected but original), was delivered with Webers that had the “Ferrari” tags. Does anyone elses carbs have these?

Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I think the last posts are great and probably a good end to the debate. I love my Dino too - it takes my breath away every time I see it. Truly!

Now to move on to Steve's carburetor tag query. Interesting. I'll check mine, but doubt if the later cars had it. Great pictures, Steve.

Andy

4. Dinoguy2

Dinoguy2 Karting

Nov 9, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Bob Budlow
    Yes, Stephan I have the same Ferrari tags on the carbs of my Dino. I have a 1972 Euro coupe, # 04092,
    and believe the tags to be original. My restorer, who has worked on a number of Dinos over the years, has
    seen these tags on quite a few Dinos.
    Regards, Bob.

5. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA
    I agree

"La Fine"

6. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Steve,
    My 72 USA 246GT #04504 has those tags on the carbs.
    John

7. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #132 omgjon, Feb 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
  9. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Oh, dear, I may be the only one without those tags. I can't remove the aircleaner housing this Thursday evening, but can't seem to feel any tags underneath it. Are those tags common on all Ferraris, and is there a source for them?

Andy

10. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Now for an semi educated deduction: there were two different carbs mounted on the "Fiat" and "Ferrari" Dinos of course, those carbs were likley mounted by Fiat when motors were built to mark not, the carbs but the motors for each variant, as there were separate assembly lines for each type in the Ferrari factory and the workers would have easily known what carbs would have gone on the car before them. M

11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    That was my exact thought.

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

They deduct for them.

13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hi julio

Nobody is advocating changing the car, just the marketting they got wrong.

IMO = In my opinion, no need to be churlish.

Does anybody know who built the 246 gearboxes and drive gear?

Cheers

Tony

14. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    There were two versions: ZF made the transmissions for one the other varient had a transaxle, I will check where that was made M

15. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Hi Tony,

My apologies if I sounded churlish. IMO also applies to what I wrote. Perhaps I should have specified it.

IMVHO (in my very humble opinion) the marketing was not wrong, and the name Dino should have lived on forever on the 8 cylinder cars.

IMVHO, adding a brand name which Enzo specifically excluded from his creation does to a certain extent "change" the car.

Good question about the gearboxes and drive gears. I am very curious about that.

By the way, I was commenting to my wife this morning that my Dino is the only one of my cars that I sometimes dream about. On the negative side, it is also the only one that gives me vicious headaches when I drive it for more than a few hours. But the headaches are worth it.

Cheers,

Julio

P.S. Let's not bicker about this any more. We are all lucky to share the same extraordinary piece of machinery, even though we might give it different names...

16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hope it is not construed as bickering, i like to hear other peoples views and this is what generates more questions for us to find the answers. Life would be boring if we just followed the satus quo.

We may get frustrated sometimes, its difficult to get your views and expressions in writing....we can only try.

Also FYI (for your information) the oil pump on the Fiat dino is different to the 246. In fact the more you look the more you realise there are numerous subtle changes to the engine than first thought.

I beleive ZF built the boxes.

17. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    I'm surprised to hear that ZF built the gearboxes as the Dino gearbox is great and most racecars and street cars with ZF gearboxes are very temperamental. I'll have to check all of my Dino books and magazines when I get home.

...Keith

18. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005

I wonder what the changes are on the Stratos engine...

19. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Uh, no its not...

I think you are thinking 206 FIAT Dino and Ferrari 246 and yes those are different. But 2.0 to 206 and 2.4 to 246 the oil pumps are the same. A common upgrade on the 2.0 FIAT is the 246 oil pump to resolve low oil pressure at idle, it just takes longer studs and bolts right in.

And only the FIAT 2.4 had ZF gearboxes, the 2.0's had FIAT 130 gearboxes modified with a extension for 5th gear.

20. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    And also regarding those Ferrari tabs on the carbs, 2 of the carbs on my FIAT Dino had them, the 3rd carb did not, can't say anything about it came from the factory as my car was severely butchered in its past life.

21. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    The carburetors and intake manifold on the Stratos are completely different. I understand the Stratos system is more efficient and avoids the slight starvation problem at corners of the Dino. This is probably because the height restriction of the Dino engine lid was not an issue for the Sratos and, of course, the Stratos was intended for competition. There is an interesting and very informative thread on FerrariChat on this (also on converting a Dino to Stratos-spec). There are some other differences - some engine gaskets from the Dino wouldn't fit, I recall, and I am not sure if the gear ratios are the same. The two cars drive very differently.

Andy

22. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Interesting facts, so why were different engines made apart form the obvious that one is a tranverse.

23. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Tony: Remember, Enzo needed 500 of these motors made quickly to qualify for hom.. (can't spell that word). The "Fiat" Dino variants were the first out of the Ferrari Factory because only Angenelli was capable of achieving that kind of sales volume quickly enough. Even he had trouble finding buyers, as for the then new price of a "Fiat" Dino, one could buy TWO new E Type Jags, (god knows what a then "Ferrai" Dino cost in Jag dollars), and at this stage in his life Enzo had well moved beyond his road car business (soon to turn it over to Fiat to run) as he was focused exclusively on racing. I believe the Stratos engine variant was the last of the three, M

24. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks Michael, i appreciate that he needed 500 units for homologation!!

Looking at old archives

Corvette $6869
    246GTS $18195
    E Type $9665
    Porsche 911 $12,775

It needed some pretty slick sales talk to get people to part with twice as much money for a Dino. Hence my reasoning why dealers stuck the Ferrari badge on it. ( I know it doesnt make it right, but you have to see the logic)

Tony

25. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Where'd you get those numbers?