Ferrari Barn find today | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Barn find today

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Chelle, Aug 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Dave, was that particular Cobra purple?

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas

I would agree. I had my own "barn find" in Switzerland: A 64 (?) 250 GTE for about $ 4k. I couldn't believe it. Problem was: It was missing engine, transmission, axles and wheels. If you restore all that you end up right where a running one is sold for. And you don't have the hassle of getting it here.

3. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    I would never take on a restoration project with the idea that I would make, or even save, money. But I think the process of restoring a car---creating order out of chaos, bringing the dead back to life---would be a lot of fun, with the added benefit of ending up knowing every nut, bolt, hose and wire of the car intimately. In fact, it has long been my plan to get a restoration project when I have the garage space, simply because I want to have the experience of restoring a car. My tentative target is an old Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider or Sprint, but if the stars had aligned correctly, I could see taking on something like that GT4. (I am becoming a big fan of the GT4--the more I see and learn about them, the more I like them.)

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Sure,it certainly does depend on what you buy the car for. And,doing the work yourself. Personal knowledge of the cars,etc....

I just saw an Alfa Spider For Sale in Elmhurst. (Forgot what year/model) But,I believe it was a mid '70's car. Red with Black interior. It was rough....VERY Rough. The guy was asking $2500.00 Which,would have probably been O.K.,if the car wasn't a complete Rust Bucket. Every panel was totally Rusted...and,thats just what you could see! It wasn't worth anything,as far as I was concerned. But,to someone else? It was gone in a couple of days. Bought by either a very knowledgable Alfa guy. Or,someone who is now finding out that He bit off way more than He can chew....:)

5. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Wow! You know the car. Yes it was purple. Fill me in, where's the car now?
    Dave

6. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Dave,

I don't know where it is now, but I sure knew it then. It actually had a 428 motor rather than the 427 which was legitimate (built that way as were many wide body Cobras) and that meant instead of 500hp or whatever it had 450hp.

I was 22 years old about the time you bought your Jensen (was it orange?)and I worked for International in 1979. At one point we had the owner's (Leo Keating) 250 SWB vintage racer, a 500TRC, a 330 GTC, a 250 Boano, a 410 SA and a bunch of Rolls Royce Phantom IIIs, one of the aluminum XK 120s (first 50 cars), the fastest MG TC vintage racer in the world (7500 rpm redline out of an XPAG), and a couple of Alfa Giuliettas.

I have got to find the serial numbers of all of these cars and post them.

As for the purple Cobra, one day I took it out for a ride after we had done some work on it. I went out Rt. 120 to the west and came to a traffic light west of the mall with clear road ahead. Some pimple faced youth with a big block Chevelle (I think Chevelle) rolled up next to me and curled his lip. I said "want to run it?" and he sneered. The light changed and I was in gone before he knew what had happened.

International was a pretty cool place from 1977 to 1982 or so. BTW, we paid $35k for that Cobra in 1979 and it was immediately for sale at $80k or so.

7. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Looks like I'm a little younger than you (by a year). I was 21 when I bought the Jensen. It was White/Black and was a fresh trade-in when I bought it. My trade-in was a 73' Triumph GT6.
    International Imports was a real candy store alright. I used to hang out there looming over toys I couldn't afford.
    Wish we would have met at the time. I would have given a right arm for a ride in that Cobra.
    Dave

8. Manuel NSX1164

Manuel NSX1164 Karting

Jul 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Chelle -- any luck with the pix ?? Were you able to visit "the barn" this weekend ??

Also, is this you & Kim on the "country drive" from Sunday ?? See thread http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27755 . I had planned to show up, but dang errands got in the way. You the one in red or black ??

9. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    If you could PM me the info on the Ferrari and the Maserati I am interested in both. Do you have any pictures of the Maserati?

10. Manuel NSX1164

Manuel NSX1164 Karting

Jul 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Any updates from "the Barn" ??

11. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    ...still waiting for the updates here as well...

12. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    sorry all i've been preoccupied with some other issues.. :( but I do have some more pics at home and some updates on this stuff.. will e-mail from there tonight
    Chelle

13. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch

Hello...I never received that email....do you still have the pics??

14. Manuel NSX1164

Manuel NSX1164 Karting

Jul 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Bump... Chelle -- any news on the barn finds ??

- Manuel

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,most definitely! I would still be interested in the 'Vette Convertible,and the 308GT4 Dino....:) That I "P/M'd" you about....:)

16. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    I've got all that stuff at home guys.. (the pics) I'll talk to the owner again before the weekend. He's a nice guy - tho a terrible flirt. I am sorry I've been so lax in followup on all this. Part of it is us having a lot going on and part of it just my nature - I get distracted by something and forget what I was doing.
    If ya don't hear from me send me a PM to remind me - so I get back on task :)
    Chelle

17. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hey,I can understand why this guy is a terrible Flirt...:) But,hit the old fart on the head with a wrench,and he should quit bugging you...:)

Yes,I imagine that you are pretty busy with that GTO,to get it ready for Spring. I can't wait to see it!

18. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Chelle

Anything new to report on the find or on the ( ;) ) terrible flirt...

19. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I am still interested in the Dino and the Maserati BiTurbo.....so please keep me updated, and I would love to see pictures. Thank you. :)

20. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #45 Chelle, Apr 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The guy who owns all these cars has sold his service station and spends all his days at the farm tinkering with the cars and he has given me a few prices.. and more info

The Porsche 365 coupe is a LOT nicer than I had thought - I figured like most of the cars there it was in need of restoration and would be a project for someone with either deep pockets or a lot of time and skill. I could never get close enough to it because of all the other cars in the way.
    Bad news it's not as cheap as I expected, good news is before it was parked 12 years ago it was restored, new paing, new interior, completely redone engine... so if it is awaken from it's 12 year slumber it probably doesn't need much to be a real nice car.
    and for more good news, I have some pictures :)

The 308GT4 has sat around 10 years, and is not wrecked, but it hasn't had a water pump all that time. He's looking for a pump but is interested in selling the car

anyway - it's late and I have to get up in a little over 3 hours :(
    so here's some pics :)
    Chelle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. twright

twright Karting

May 15, 2005
    Indianapolis USA
    Is the GT4 for sale? I am very interested and would love to come up to Chicago this weekend if it is available. Please email me at: [email protected]

22. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle

He will be there all day this saturday... check your e-mail for more details :)
    Chelle

23. twright

twright Karting

May 15, 2005
    Indianapolis USA
    I talked to the owner today. (Thanks, Chelle for the contact info.)
    He confirmed that the GT4 is for sale and that it did need a water pump. (The original one disappeared when he sent it out to be rebuilt, and he never got another one.)
    He also told me that the body was in pretty good shape, but that the interior was "rough".
    And now for the bad news: he wants $15,000 for it. In other words: he wants it more than I do.

It's too bad, because I was hoping to stop being a lurker here and more of a contributor. So if any one is aware of a 308 in need of a rescue (at a reasonable price!) , please contact me.

Tom

24. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Tom, my thought is he would come down some... I'll talk to him and see, I have known him a couple years now :)
    Chelle

25. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

Chelle
    If you get a chance inquire on the porsche please (pm me) I might have something