Ferrari Brand Watch | FerrariChat

Ferrari Brand Watch

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by twist-a-grip, Jan 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    I asked about a Tag Monaco on here a few months ago without much input. So, after speaking with some buddies who know their way around watches told me I'm better than that. Maybe they're right, but I have never worn a watch and after finding a $125k PP that I liked, I decided maybe I should pump the brakes and actually buy something cheaper to see if I even like wearing a watch.

Looked up NEW IN BOX Ferrari watches on ebay and found a significant amount of watches that I'd probably wear in the $200-400 range - even a few that match my Speciale colors. I'm sure they're not that great at this price point, but looking for opinions from you guys. Am I better off buying a watch at Walmart? If there is a model or two that stands out as a little better quality, I'm all ears. I would prefer a chronograph and I'm initially drawn to the RedRev Evo line.

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    The $200-$400 Ferrari watches are usually Ronda quartz models. They are quartz so it will be very accurate. There are also Chinese knockoff models, so beware of those. If a Ferrari watch is a good entry into buying a watch for you, why not get one of the GP Ferrari watches? There are also Panerai Ferrari watches. You can get a nice pre-owned GP somewhere in the $2k-$3k range.

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    If you're going to buy a Ferrari brand watch, buy it from Ferrari. I think it's store.ferrari.com. If you're an owner you get a discount, I think 10%, but you have to register first and wait a few days.

Most of the ebay stuff is knock off, cheap even by cheap standards.

Agree with GP or Panerai versions. And there's nothing wrong with a Tag Monaco. Your friends are snobs. :)

4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm not sure about those Ferrari Store watches. I remember when they were steeply discounted here. IIRC, they offered discounts up to 60% off, a nice $600 watch would be about $240. The plastic Ferrari watches were about $80 after the steep discounts. That is about what they were worth.

5. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks for the help guys. I realize these watches are crap, but they'll serve my purpose at an immaterial cost. I don't think all the ebay watches are fakes - the 2-3 watches I like are sold in online watch stores like jomashop with the same model numbers. I certainly wouldn't buy a watch from China, but a 100% feedback ebay store in NY seems reasonable to me - especially if I'm only spending $2-300. I like the GP watches, but they're $2000+ used - I'm the kind of guy that goes all in or goes cheap - so either I get a fun $200 watch that matches my white/blue/gold Speciale or I get the Patek.

6. etmracing

etmracing Karting

Oct 17, 2010
    Thurmont MD
    Full Name:
    Marc Stephens
    Get the cheap one to see if you like it. If you end up wanting a more expensive watch use the cheap one as a knockaround watch.

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Just delivered today,from the online store...Scuderia Ferrari Pilota Limited Edition 185/300.

It is a little darker than shown in the online photo's,all stainless steel.Pretty decent for the $$$. Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Nice watch Ferrari 308 GTB!

Kinda forgot I started this thread. I still haven't bought a watch, but thinking I'll get one of the Swiss made Ferrari watches from a few years back. More like $300 vs the $100-150 the newer Ferrari watches, but they appear to have a little nicer finish and attention to detail. I'd love to splurge on the blue 60th Hublot to match my Speciale's interior, but not willing to spend $15-20k on a fashion watch.

https://www.hublot.com/en/news/hublot-big-bang-ferrari-us-60th-anniversary

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I remain an advocate for buying a used Girard-Perrregaux Ferrari watch. Here is my story.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-1997-girard-perregaux-ferrari-model-8020-chronograph-wristwatch.559661/

I've been following GP 8020s on Chrono24. Right now they list more than I have ever seen. Lots of variations on the theme (although I have not seen my exact watch listed again with all the correct boxes and papers like I have).

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Thanks. I think these are now assembled in Italy by Movado ,although most likely with parts from Switzerland,but no country named on the watch..

$290 minus 15% discount,for a 'LE' is considered reasonable i think..

Hublot is of course rather nice,but agreed can't justify that 'investment'.

GP is relatively easy to find ,yes i wouldn't mind one,one of these days!