Ferrari Built from 12 Photos | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Built from 12 Photos

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275gtb6c, Jan 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    As are MANY gto's, SWBs, etc etc
    Look at the nose of 64 GTO 5575.........done by BS, TX
    etc
    etc

2. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    This is true, BUT.... It takes a huge amount of time and effort to do it, and if you don't have something to measure it is extremely difficult to do. The reason is that panel beaters don't necessarily follow spline curves (like a CAD model wants to do) and photos, unless taken directly from the side and with included items of known size also have distortion in them. Even side, top, front and back photos only give you the outline, and there is so much more to the shape than that if you are trying to get it right. It sounds easy, but unless you take an existing car through a coordinate measuring machine, a body like this is very difficult and time conusming to model.

I've done a partial CAD model of the bodywork of a P4, and I've looked at and measured literally hundreds of photos of the cars (and they are all different), but if you don't measure the real car you aren't going to get that close. Trying to recreate a body like this, that no longer exists, from photos with a body dolly and a hammer is a herculean task. We have the luxury of the internet now and can access hundreds of photos of even obscure cars, and while it's very easy to point out specific areas of a car and say "this is wrong,or that is wrong", it is a whole other world to actually go out and build it.

I'd say Wayne did a fine job with what he had at the time, the car is a very good representation of the original, and if it flashed by me on the track I'd say it was close enough. He may well have know what was doing and that it was different, and just liked it better that way.

I think we should all just enjoy it and accept it for what it is, a unique and very rare car and the product of a fine craftsman who has a unique place in the history of the marque.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #53 Napolis, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Even restoring an original body is a herculean task.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    It most certainly is, and yours is coming along beautifully I might add.

5. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Ardy, great pix. thanks. I agree there are aspects of this repro that could have been done better. Even the intakes in front of the rear wheels arn't quite right. However this is the body designe for which this car will always be associated and had a steller competition career.I am sure there is a story behind why some of these "not quite correct" bitts came about which we may never know. Let's give an A for effort and just enjoy the results.They are far better than not having any at all. And all the world knows this is a reproduction. just one man's opinion tongascrew

6. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    #56 biz5300, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    Thanks for sharing these photos.

It's totally unclear why rebody was made with so big mistakes

8. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    We could make a big thread about bad restorations, even with many recent "Best of Show" cars, but I'm sure some guys here would want to kill me after that...

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #59 kare, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
    Whoever built that body did not fully comprehend the standard of today. 25 years ago everybody would have agreed that this car is a 100% exact reproduction. The sad thing is that a very rare 1954 Scaglietti body was removed after almost 50 years.

10. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hello Jim; After viewing your photos & seeing some of your collection...All I can say is...If "Envy" is one of the 7 deadly sins....I'm going STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!.....I applaud you....Mark

11. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    You can fill a book! :)

12. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Exactly.

But you can see in others threads (the one about 0297/EU for example) how much it's a sensitive subject...

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1, a very apt comment.

And Jim yes I believe restoring an existing body is often much harder, hence the easier option is to remove and replicate something ... :(.
    Pete

14. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #64 WCH, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    "But you can see in others threads (the one about 0297/EU for example) how much it's a sensitive subject..."

The 0297 thread differs from this one. The owner of 0297, clearly enjoying and proud of her new car, came here seeking information and fellow enthusiasts. I don't believe the OP had anything to do with the restoration of her car. She shared photos and information with the forum.

One could argue about the omission of chrome trim on the nose of 0297 as restored; I would have kept the trim. But 0297 seems to be in the hands of someone who will love it, care for it, and share it with others. Who knows, she might love the car so much that she will eventually be persuaded to correct any errors in the prior restoration (if there indeed are any).

It seems to me that we ought to welcome ownership of one of these old artworks by someone who genuinely cares about it.

One can sympathize with "sensitivities" when one has devoted much time and effort to researching a car, finding a proper restorer, paying a fortune and enduring several years of waiting to have the work done.

15. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Exactly my thoughts! Quite a difference between a chrome strip vs a complete wrong body. Or kindly suggesting some minor changes vs shouting "COMPLETELY WRONG"

Thank you,

ciao
    Oscar

16. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    as long as you can substantiate your claims with facts, there shouldn't be a (legal) problem. But one shouldn't be surprised that these types of claims aren't welcomed by those involved. They can, potentially, do a lot of damage to the car's value.

17. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    You said it all : money, not passion...

18. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    +1

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Maybe we should say -1 in this case ...

Pete

20. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
  21. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    The owner still has it and I think he is putting it on another car. Dont know what though..
    Nik