Ferrari California Battery Charging | FerrariChat

Ferrari California Battery Charging

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Agnes, Apr 12, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Agnes

Agnes Rookie

Apr 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Zhangsaizi Zuo
    Hello,

I leave my California in garage about 1 month and the car won't start. I am assuming that battery died. I am trying to charge my battery but ends up with there's no wall outlet in my apartment garage. I bought a 300w portable generator with 110v AC outlet. I connected battery charger kit to generator and it can only charge about 2-3 hours. The interior light and a few of indicator on dashboard is on but I still unable to start the engine. Shall I charge the generator and repeat the process? Please advise.

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yes, you should charge the battery until the battery is completely charged.

3. Agnes

Agnes Rookie

Apr 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Zhangsaizi Zuo
    Thank you for the response. How long do you think the battery will get fully charged?

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you are using the factory Ferrari battery tender, it could take up to 24 hours. It is not designed to charge a fully discharged battery, it is designed to "maintain" or top up a slightly discharged battery.
    It would be better to use a 10 amp or 15 amp battery charger, as those can charge a fully discharged battery in 12 to 15 hours...at least sufficient to start the car. I will warn you that once you discharge a battery this much, it is unlikely to fully recover. Meaning it will forever have less reserve power than before.

5. Agnes

Agnes Rookie

Apr 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Zhangsaizi Zuo
    I charged another 5 hours and I can start the engine! That's great! However, my screen, radio and nav won't turn on. I guess the battery disconnect to that section? What shall I do?

6. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    When you get your battery properly charged and everything is working, get a small solar panel to keep your battery charged. They come with long wires, that can be lengthened even more, and alligator clips. You should be able to figure a way to snake the wires to the roof of the garage?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

On my 458 Italia, I used and OBD II scanner to reset any pending CEL codes related to a dead battery. The pending Codes had kept my windows from working.

Concerning charging in your Apt. garage, you can buy a portable battery tender used by car shops/dealerships ...it should last a week or more. Then recharge the tender for a few hours in your Apt during the Weekend. Just google online for one. A good, shop-quality one will be a few hundred USD.

F355spider is correct:. Once your battery has completly discharged and sat dead for a while, it won't ever recover to a full charge. I can only get mine to one bar below Max of 7 on my tender. Whereas before it was always at 7.

I was careless once , didn't connect the tender, went on a trip, came back a week later and the battery was dead. Anyway, after recharging, it works; and it doesn't bother me that charge is not 100%.

8. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Simple solution: Make an effort to drive the car no less than every two weeks, every week is even better. You can avoid having to figure out a way to charge the battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

shhsjoe likes this.
  9. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Good idea...sadly it can be hit and miss. On my F430, the battery won't last a week even if new. The 458 lasts two/three weeks; and then the DTC begins to act up and not shift properly due to a low battery. Not worth the uncertainty.

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  11. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Uh no. There are some that Do Not require to be connected to an outlet at all times. They have their own internal, high capacity , low-drain, batteries. That is why they weigh like 60+ lbs. Dealers use these to wheel them over to cars on the lot with flat batteries.

Perhaps I chose the wrong link, but the intent was to show those that don't need a constant connection to a wall plug. Apologies.

12. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think its possible that the battery is not yet fully charged, or charged enough to run these electronics. I'd replace the battery, I think that is the only way to make sure.

Also, if you are going to leave the car sitting for a long period of time and you have no way to run a battery tender, you should be able to disconnect the battery with the battery shut off knob. I am pretty sure the Cali has one.

NuorderSG likes this.
  13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm familiar with those, they cost a LOT more...like starting around $600, and go up to $1500 or more. They have a large lead acid gel cell inside, along with charging capability. But those are not really designed to charge a battery with their internal battery. The internal battery is used for jump starting the car. Which is not recommended with Ferraris.

14. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

True to your point.

Though batteries are just stored energy. Not a big feat to rig such a setup to deliver a trickle charge absent an electrical outlet or a solar powered tender.

There are lot of solutions out there for enterprising individuals....particularly for something this basic.