Ferrari California Battery Life?!?! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari California Battery Life?!?!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by BlueSteel, Oct 16, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Rookie

Oct 16, 2017
    Thanks 4th_gear, very informative! Your posts are most helpful.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm glad my posts were helpful. I can appreciate how you felt. The good news is that I haven't had any more HELE, battery or charger issues since I got them fixed 3 years ago. ;)

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I bought some connectors from him and they work.

4. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Speaking of batteries, yesterday, while in a gas stop, I left the key in "power on" mode of my 2013 Cali 30 for about 15-20 minutes. I was distracted as a friend pulled over beside me and we were chatting a bit. I haven't been using the Cali for almost 2 weeks and went to the gas station straight from my home.

So after going back to my car, I started getting some strange errors like AVH system failure. So I turned off the system and restarted the car. Errors disappeared since then but got me worried.

Are modern Ferrari's really that sensitive? I just had the battery replaced by the dealer recently as the previous one was about 4 years old and I was getting several weird errors before changing it. I do try to charge the battery once week via battery tender although I think I forgot to do it this week.

For non-HELE Calis, i'm curious, are you using AGM batteries? Does it help keep the car charged longer vs a standard car battery?

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ I think you have to use an AGM battery for a HELE car.
    T

6. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Mine is non-HELE, I wonder if an AGM batteries have any benefits for a non-HELE Cali.

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OwenC likes this.
  8. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
  9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not quite true...

If you look carefully at what is written in the article, it's not actually the engine compartment that is an issue... it's HEAT. The article says "...AGM and other sealed batteries do not like heat... and should be installed away from the engine compartment...".

Regarding the Cali, you'll note the Cali's battery is installed in front of the engine (not behind) and the engine compartment is IN THE FRONT of the car. Therefore, the battery will receive excellent cooling while the car is in motion, in fact, it receives potentially better cooling than if it were installed inside the car or in the rear trunk (like many BMWs). Of course, idling and crawling in traffic would be bad for the battery - both activities not being consistent with Fcar ownership anyway.

Many Fcar owners will also open their engine compartment covers when they arrive at their destination (or home) to allow heat to dissipate quickly.

I thought I mention this because I have noticed Interstate Battery, primary supplier for Fcar batteries in NA, now recommends AGM batteries as replacements for Fcars that did not originally come with AGM batteries.

OwenC likes this.
  10. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I got in touch with Warren and he is shipping me one of his connectors. Thank you for the recommendation guys. On another note I looked under the hood for the first time tonight (yep, should have done that prior to purchase but I was in a First Ferrari trance) and noted my battery is an Interstate MTP-49 H8 https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtp-49-h8?dsNav=N~2147384903. Any idea if this an AGM battery? Should I care what it is? My 2010 does not have the HELE system, at least I haven't noticed while driving what's been described in this thread. I plan on buying the CTEK MXS 5.0 although I'd think not a week will go by that I won't take it for a "decompression spin".

11. Ochosi

Ochosi Rookie

Jun 22, 2009
    Brighton UK
    Hello all in this thread,

I brought my Cali last November and it was on trickle charge (battery tender) since I got it. I would turn the engine over regularly each week but then last week, it wouldn't fire.
    It has now gone back to the dealer who has confirmed the battery is not holding a charge without the trickle charger (battery tender) and will be replacing the battery under warranty.

The car is a 2009 model and it had the original battery so the battery has done ten years of service - not bad I suppose, given the experience of other Cali owners.
    The car doesn't have the HELE option, which is why the battery has done so well perhaps.

Thanks

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I understand these factory battery tenders do NOT charge and do NOT fill up the battery. All they do is MAINTAIN a certain level of the battery, so that it doesn't drop further. If the battery is already a bit weak the tender is of no help.
    I used three batteries for my first F12...…….
    My second F12 is constantly on the tender, every minute when it is not driven.
    Plenty of threads and posts about battery tenders in the F12 section of fchat.

Marcel Massini

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    10 years on the original battery! Wow. That must be some kind of a record!
    Please check date codes on the tires to make sure they ain't original as well. ;)
    Once you get a new battery, keep an eye on the tender to make sure it is doing its job as well.
    T

Andrew Leather-Barrow likes this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    How about original Maranello air in the tires?

Marcel Massini

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    LOL. I pray that we have several decades before valuation, Classiche, whether or not the tires contain Maranello air, etc. threads start to pollute this sub-forum of F-chat.
    Of course, by that time, I will likely be in my dotage and my California will have so many miles, it will be worthless.
    T

17. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    tomc likes this.