Ferrari California OBD code P0492 | FerrariChat

Ferrari California OBD code P0492

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by csteve, Dec 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. csteve

csteve Karting

May 6, 2006
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    steve chang
    I have seen threads where people have both P0492 and P0491 CEL on, but I only have one P0492 hence asking the question. a few observations
    1) P0492 CEL came up after driving for 15km after a cold start.
    2) I deleted P0492 the 1st time and it was fine for 3 weeks then CEL came back on.
    3) The car passed smoke/ emission check just 2 months ago.

Many thanks in advance!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I don't know if this is relevant, but BMWs seem to throw those codes too.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430048#/topics/430048

The above link has info and a fix. It's both P0491 and P0492. Best of luck.

T

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 4th_gear, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Is your car dealer-serviced?

You might find this OBD CODES website useful. Here's one more. Looks like it could be a faulty/sticky valve or a flaky air pump in the Secondary Air Injection System for "Bank 2" - the Cali has 2 (separate) banks of engine cylinders/exhaust systems. In the diagram below, #9 is the pump, #20 are the valves. Since the Cali has 2 banks, there would be 2 sets of these, for Bank 1 and Bank 2.

Of course, it could also been some debris (however unlikely) lodged in the tubing, hoses of the system.

Let us know how you make out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. csteve

csteve Karting

May 6, 2006
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    steve chang
    Thanks guys, I was told there are 3 possible reasons
    1) air valve or vacuum leak
    2) O2 sensor
    3) electric air injection pump

But
    1) air valve or vacuum leak – air valve is easy to replace. If not working, then try to find the vacuum leak.
    2) O2 sensor – NOT likely since the smoke check result was good (done 2 months ago)
    3) electric air injection pump – NOT likely since error code only for one side.

My Cali is with the local dealer now, will keep people posted.

4th_gear likes this.
  5. csteve

csteve Karting

May 6, 2006
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    steve chang
    so the dealer tells me this CEL is due to carbon deposit in exhaust manifold that it would cost over US$2000 to remove exhaust manifold to remove the carbon deposit .....and the same problem will repeat itself a few years down the road with carbon build up again....... does anyone have experienced the same problem?

6. Radu

Radu Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2018
    Netherlands
    @csteve Did you end up undertaking the solution suggested by the dealer? What was the outcome? Thanks!

7. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    I am experiencing this problem since yesterday. It's only on start. I have deleted the code(s) as they have very little effect. It's a pain to clean the ports since there are heavy things to move to get to the ports. This issue is part of the reason you have black crap on your garage floor from starting a Cali.

BTW, I highly recommend buying a good code reader...good piece of mind.

8. kambakht

kambakht Rookie

May 10, 2017
    hi - can you tell me what code reader / eraser you have? i would like to buy one. thanks

9. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Autel AutoLink AL519 OBD2 Scanner Enhanced Mode 6 Automotive Engine Fault Code Reader CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool, Upgraded Ver. of AL319

i got it on Amazon

Willl likes this.
  10. csteve

csteve Karting

May 6, 2006
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    steve chang
    carbon deposit clean up cleared the CEL

bergxu and tomc like this.
  11. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Drive your cars more often , have owned 2 other Ferrari’s that would throw this code, they were seldom driven. Promise that will take care of carbon deposits.

12. Alin

Alin Rookie

Nov 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Silviu Tisea

I am having the same problem Secondary Air Injection System, and I think it's the valve, it said Bank 1, but I am not sure what side it's Bank 1. Can someone help pls?

13. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’ve had this problem off and on for the three years I’ve owned my 2013 Cali and it’s always been due to carbon buildup. Run a tankful of fuel system cleaner every year (CRC makes several good versions), rev the engine to near red line as often as possible, and change the spark plugs if it’s been more than three years or so. Short of a very expensive carbon cleaning, that should keep the problem to a minimum.

14. Alin

Alin Rookie

Nov 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Silviu Tisea
    So, made a little more research and more progress; I was able to open one of the valve and clean it(see pics), put it back and reset the code, well just like usual 50 miles later code came back, so I thought that was not the correct one( I need it bank 1, so I took the driver side valve and try to open it and take it of but I couldn't, not enough space to get my hands in, so I open the bolt(see pics) and cleane it with a air spray. Drove it over 350 miles so far , code hasn't come back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bill Phillips likes this.