Ferrari california operation not presimble | FerrariChat

Ferrari california operation not presimble

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Majedcali, Jul 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Majedcali

Majedcali Rookie

Jul 2, 2017
    Hey guys,

My california 2011 recently started to show this message in the screen ^operation not presimble^. This happens after about 40 min drive especially in traffic areas.
    The car drives good but after 40 min the shifts becomes rough and this message appears . When this happens the transmissions shifts becomes really rough and car does not drive properly. This happens in auto and manual. I took to one guy he reprogrammed the shifts using lenardo diag. tool it ran good for 2 days then it went back to this.

Any had same problem or can help me out.

Majed

2. FerrariCT

FerrariCT Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Cape Town
    Hi, I have recently experience the exact same problem. 'Operation not admissible" Ferrari California 2011 and rides rough, then disappears, and returns every so often. Would anyone have any idea what this could be? Any advice is much appreciated . Please help? Thank you. Kevin, Cape Town

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would ask the guy what he did with the lenardo diag. tool. He may have just simply cleared some faults, or maybe not. It would help to find out. (just notice OP posted over a year ago and no one answered - never mind, my comments are still relevant)

If you know the full history of your car(s) try to see if there are any reasons why the exhaust system (catalytic converters) may be fouling. Usually, such damage would caused by poor maintenance, overly rich or lean fuel mixture, improper modifications to the ignition or exhaust systems.

If you do have a problem with damaged cats, the intermittent rough running can be due to chunks of broken catalyst moving around and blocking the exhaust at times and then moving again when you reduce throttle. If this is so, it will get worse, much worse if not attended to promptly.

2011 cars would be about 8 years old now and would definitely be vulnerable to fouled cats if the cars were not properly used or maintained. These are exotic cars and not old-school technology so very few non-factory mechanics would have experience with them unless they worked at a dealer before.

4. FerrariCT

FerrariCT Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Cape Town

Hi 4th Gear,
    Would the Operation Not Admissible light maybe come on due to damaged Cats, maybe?
    I did read somewhere it could be gearbox tempreture? Or could be a sensor fault?
    Look forward to your response. thanbks
    keivn

5. FerrariCT

FerrariCT Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Cape Town
    Have you figured out why as yet? I have the same warning light. Thanks

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not sure why you have to ask. I already said...

7. FerrariCT

FerrariCT Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Cape Town
    Thanks again 4th Gear. doe some more research and testing. I do have an Armytrix Exhaust System ( been on for 18 months) on the Cali. DO you think its the
    Titanium Exhaust that resulting in the "Operation not admissible " light? Any remedies besides reinstalling the stock exhaust ?
    Its only the last month this has occurred. Im out of warranty, so im nervous to take it in to Ferrari Dealership. but will do of course. Thanks so much.

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It depends on what your new exhaust system includes. If it also includes a high-flow cat or significant changes to the original H-pipe it can affect readings from the O2 sensors. Those would be easy and cheap to fix. You should pull the exact number of the OBD2 fault code and look that PCODE up - "Operation not admissible" is just a catch-all meaningless text warning designed to get owners to take their cars in to get checked. I used to design and code robotics controller software and designing error codes were a routine part of the overall design process. OTOH, my error messages were very specific and detailed but we provided the best software in the industry at the time before the US State Department decided to destroy the industry ...that's another long sad story.

You should always know why and what you are installing in your car, preferably before you have something installed. At this stage, you should ask the people who installed the exhaust system whether the new exhaust system can throw error codes. However, it does not mean they did anything wrong.

As for warranty, I think it is a moot point. Warranties only cover defects and premature equipment failures. They only apply to specific parts and exclude most part failures, wear-and-tear. Your car is an 8-year-old model so defects or premature equipment failures would have happened long ago, unless your car has new(er) replacement parts.

9. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    I would guess a sensor starting to fail as most all sensors, at their basic, are either thermal or magnetic. If you had a friend with a Leonardo Diagnostic Tool you would know exactly the code and could watch live data and likely see exactly what data is dropping out to cause the code.

10. FerrariCT

FerrariCT Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Cape Town
    Thank you 4th Gear! I have taken it to my dealership today, and await anxiously. I will let you know. Much appreciated.
    Here is a pic of my Cali just for fun:) Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

daytona355, 4th_gear and AD211 like this.
  11. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I just had the same problem today with my California 30 HELE

"Operation not admissible" appears on the dashboard at low speed and 1st/2nd gear, car stalls and drives very rough - cannot drive and seems to be blocked on safe mode. Once i restart the car, works for few minutes and back again and again. Anyone has an idea of what this is and how you fixed it ?

Thank you.

12. Frank_N

Frank_N Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Have you guys got a solution? Mine is doing exactly the same problem.

Thanks

13. Markthom67

Markthom67 Rookie

Jun 21, 2021
    CT
    Full Name:
    MARK THOMAS
    Has anyone found a resolution to this. Mine is doing exactly same thing.

14. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Believe that is a transmission error. I have an FF starting to show it.

Eventually you should see a gearbox error icon on the dash.

SV

15. Markthom67

Markthom67 Rookie

Jun 21, 2021
    CT
    Full Name:
    MARK THOMAS
    Have you checked the catalytic converters as it’s not a transmission issue. It’s a lack of power

16. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    4th_gearF1 Rookie
    Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3Jan 3, 2019
    I would ask the guy what he did with the lenardo diag. tool. He may have just simply cleared some faults, or maybe not. It would help to find out. (just notice OP posted over a year ago and no one answered - never mind, my comments are still relevant)

If you know the full history of your car(s) try to see if there are any reasons why the exhaust system (catalytic converters) may be fouling. Usually, such damage would caused by poor maintenance, overly rich or lean fuel mixture, improper modifications to the ignition or exhaust systems.

If you do have a problem with damaged cats, the intermittent rough running can be due to chunks of broken catalyst moving around and blocking the exhaust at times and then moving again when you reduce throttle. If this is so, it will get worse, much worse if not attended to promptly.

2011 cars would be about 8 years old now and would definitely be vulnerable to fouled cats if the cars were not properly used or maintained. These are exotic cars and not old-school technology so very few non-factory mechanics would have experience with them unless they worked at a dealer before.

17. Danicology

Danicology Rookie

Dec 23, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    DC
    Hi, I have the same problem. Did you manage to find out the cause and how to fix? Thanks