Ferrari: car manufacturer or racing team? | FerrariChat

Ferrari: car manufacturer or racing team?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by zff, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Car Manufacturer or Racing Team

1. Ferrari builds road cars

2. Ferrari is a racing team

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Which do you consider is the more defining quality of Ferrari? Their racing efforts or their road cars? I realize Ferrari is really some of both, but IF you had to choose one......

Ask yourself the question this way: If Ferrari continued all their racing efforts but stopped building road cars, would you feel that they are no longer "Ferrari"? What if they continued building their road cars but stopped all their racing activities, would you then feel like they're no longer "Ferrari"?

Personally, I've always felt that Ferrari is an F1 team first. They could stop building road cars for years at a time and not lose an ounce of whatever it is that makes them "Ferrari".

2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    But surely Ferrari need the revenue from the road cars to sustain the racing team.

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I see even there production cars as racing efforts, such as I could not answer your poll since there was no "both" choice.

Does anyone know if Ferrari ever designs a production car with LeMans racing in mind. Seems like they would.

P.S. I chose Ferrari is a racing team. Forza Ferrari.

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    f-1 is first, Luca says this all the time

5. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Mmm, difficult question...

I would say... both... Can't really choose... :)

Of course, regarding the history, Formula One comes first... production cars only excist 'caus Enzo needed the money to develop racing cars... Building production cars never was the main target in the first place...

But... I like the look of the production cars more then the racing activities...
    I would rather like to have a personal Ferrari in the garage then only seeing an F1 Ferrari on the track or on television... so I would pick... production cars,... if I had to.

Greets, Alexander

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    What an interesting poll. It was a great thought.

The third option, which I suppose is tied to both of the other two, is "Ferrari is a merchandiser or licensor. I think one of the reasons they, by their own admittance, try to keep production down to keep exclusivity high is to preserve the value of the brand, so that they can slap it on all sorts of expensive products. Same reason why racing is important - endorsements and other similar sales. Weighing all the factors, I voted for the racing option.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    This was true in the beginning, but now, the F1 team is self financing throught sponsors.

But the vote is a false dichotomy: Ferrari is a manufacture of road cars, Scuderia Ferrari Corsa is the race car constructor.

8. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Probably not in the age of sponsorship