Ferrari Cartier Watch Info? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Cartier Watch Info?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by cgperry, Jun 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yes. No.

I'm flying back next Sunday. :(

2. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Check Synchro's watch in this thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34761&page=9&pp=20

ALL Ferrari watches made by Cartier were a variation of this design. Some were quartz, some mechanical, there were different dials, different complications, different functions, different materials, etc., but this was the basic design. They do not say Cartier on the exterior of the watch, but in the U.S. are serviced only by the Cartier facility at the DFW airport (unless you have a very good local watchmaker and don't need parts).

I have NEVER seen a Ferrari watch like the "Cartier Ferrari" pictured on eBay. I suspect it's called a Cartier because it has what is loosely a tank styled case. Unless, of course, a branch of the Cartier family emigrated to China....)

O.G.

3. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    It could happen! ROR!!!

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I have a Ferrari Cartier. Bought in 1993. No chronograph. White plate.

5. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Not an imposter. I used to sell these watches through my shop back in the late 80s/early 90s. There were many designs and many different variations.
    They never carried the Cartier brand, but they were supplied through Cartier and serviced through Cartier. The guarantee listed the Cartier Service Centres.
    Nathan

6. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Basically correct - all the Ferrari Formula CHRONOGRAPHs were a variation of this design, but there were many non-chrono watches in the range, and also a desk clock, and a small folding travel clock.
    Nathan

7. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
  8. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Nathan,

I've learned something on this. Your're right -- I was referring to the Chronographs, and while I have some literature on them similar to the folder on eBay, I have nothing and have never seen some of these other designs. I know your shop, of course, and if you sold them there's no question.

Now, if you can just find me some of the Ferrari Formula pens, both Sport and F40, in the colors I'm missing.... (And on that subject, I am now 99% certain that these came from Aurora in Italy, not Cartier.)

Regards,

Old Guy

9. Philmodelcar

Philmodelcar Karting

May 19, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Philippe
    Ferrari France in Paris (Ch Pozzi) is making sales (50% off) ...in case someone is interested !

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would have at least cleaned the green corrosion from the buckle, before taking the pic.........and a red latex tight azz says "quality timepiece" to me! LOL!

Fo snizzle.....which pen do you need, OG?

I don't see the chrono I have, in there....it's white face gold bezels and dial trims, silver case with grey shark skin band.....

The matching pen was silver with gold trim, maybe a red stripe in the clip.....heck, I saw that stuff recently in the move....now they, and Scott's collection of Lambo 1/18s, have gone astray.....

Did you sell the cigar cutter Philmodelcar????? sigh.....lost opportunities in life....

Sing it at my funeral boys.....

*biting tip off of Macanudo....puffing*

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    50% off on NOS would be better than used ones, on ebay with greasy buckles!

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yep, Cartier at DFW.....that's the place.

The larger pieces have this wierd hex casting on the back, it takes a special tool or very steady nerves to get it done.

Forza, just like the cars!!!!

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The watch is nice but I really did the deal to get the special version of Piloti Che Gente (larger, more pics) and IIRC they threw in a 1/18 '57 TR250 or something........

I know my first wife cried, when she found out I'd spent the money.......she was always counting the money.........

14. autocentrale

autocentrale Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    I have a collection off Ferrari Formula (Cartier) watches. Need any information? Please ask. I have plenty off documentation. Regards, Gerard

15. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#40 Bradwilliams, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    I have a Red Chronograph which was referred to as the Testarossa model because the face resembled the headlight grid. I don't know if this is 100% true but that's what my research has told me. It is a Cartier Formula and I have had a nightmare of a time getting a part for it. What is the story with the DFW airport facility? Does anybody know where one can get parts or service? I will post pics of mine soon. Gotta go grab it from the Jeweler tomorrow!

Cheers

16. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sent it in to the DFW airport. We'll see how it goes

17. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

They got back to me today. Said they do not supply parts for this watch and haven't for about 10 years. I guess I'll just wear it until it quits running and then pick up a GP.

18. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #43 P4Replica, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    Yes - it's a genuine Cartier Ferrari Formula chronograph .... powered by Seiko !!
    This range of late 1980's Cartier Ferrari chrono's were built around the Seiko 7A38(A) 15 jewel quartz movement.
    There was also a similar 'Moon Phase' 4-register Ferrari Formula chrono, which used the Seiko 7A48(A) movement.

Check out this recent post I made on the Seiko Citizen watch forum:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/thread/1259088788/
    Note the small photo at the bottom of the page. That's a Seiko 7A38(A) quartz movement. ;)

Don't do that Brad. Have a look on eBay for a running 'beater' Seiko 7A38-xxxx - for use as a donor.
    All you then need to do is find a watchmaker who can swap the dial face and hands over.
    Here's one currently listed in eBay in the States - going dirt cheap - and rather dirty !!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130347077709
    The Seiko 7A38(A) movement is exactly the same as that used in the Cartier Ferrari Formula. Trust me on this. ;)

I should add that not all Seiko 7A38's should be considered as 'parts donors' for Cartier Ferrari Formula chronos.
    Some of them are very rare - and worth far more than a 'Cartier Ferrari Formula' on the watch collector market.
    Especially the ones with yellow dial faces: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200406861356

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good info!

I own one of these Cartier Chronos...it's around the apartment somewhere....I should pull the battery as I rarely use it....

I have the matching Formula fountain pen also....the ink dired in the refill barrels LONG ago...I guess I'll use my Kohinoor Pen system, to clean it up....

20. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Nathan and I have been chatting about the Cartier Ferrari Formula 'Seiko 7A38' quartz chrono's recently.
    Cartier don't seem to be able to supply spares for them any more.
    O.K., so now you know (from my previous post) that movement internals are no longer a problem.

However, the watch case / bracelet is a different story. These were 'Swiss made' for Cartier.
    Although there a few Seiko 7A38-xxxx models: the 7A38-724x; -725x and -726x which look quite similar ....
    Here's a 7A38-7240 which sold on eBay Germany recently (note the 1:43 250GTO):
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170401532597
    .... sadly none of the watch case / bracelet parts are interchangeable. :(

Nathan told me that he (or his son) had unfortunately lost a couple of the 'hex nut' pusher button covers off one of his Cartier Ferrari Formula chrono's. They are no longer available as spares from Cartier.
    Is this a common fault with these watches ? Does anybody else have the same problem ?
    The (plain round) Seiko 7Axx pusher assemblies would probably fit - and work, no doubt.
    But wouldn't be 'correct' for the Cartier Ferrari Chronograph, obviously.
    Is anybody (else) interested in getting these re-manufactured ?

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #46 BigTex, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's one from FerrariAds today....

Colorful face!

My case is bi metal on a soft strap, very close to this design, but white/gold face on a grey shark band, more fromal than sporty..

$900.00 "ask"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #47 BigTex, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #48 P4Replica, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    What a bl**dy awful dial face design, Alan !! This is probably the ugliest of the Cartier Ferrari '7A38' dials - IMHO. :(

Some of the Seiko 7A38's - particularly models like the stainless / black 7A38-7000 are much more attractive. ;)

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I liked the yellow one you posted...

I rather agree!

Mine, as I said, is very "plain" in white face /gold/silver dials...

The Bonus with Purchase was a '57 TR BBurago 1:18 and the special Cartier Edition of Enzo's Piloti Che Gente....you've seen that?

It's a version with a red paper outer cover and Enzo smiling his pic reflected in a race car mirror, a 312PB, IIRC.....

Darn you are going to have me house cleaning later!

(I was already moving stacks of Cavallino and race helments, to shampoo carpets for the Holiday guests!!)

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dad used to always say" A watch is a Timex, everything else is jewelry".....

He got an Omega from Monsanto, on retirement..LOL!