Ferrari CEO Announced his retirement effective immediately | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari CEO Announced his retirement effective immediately

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Parnelli, Dec 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Completely agree but an Indy program of 2 or 3 races a year is the biggest bang for the buck.

2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I heard that not only does he have his 10% of the company still, he owns a lot of the land being used by Ferrari and leases it to the company. I know that's true with Fiorano, for sure. He's quiet but clever.

3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Piero is too old. He will always have an important position and a lot of influence without having to do the day-to-day job. It doesn't make much sense unless it's an interim role. I don't think Manley has the profile for Ferrari, either, but since he's at the top at FCA it could happen. I would have liked to see Domenicali return but there is too much baggage. Considering Ferrari's board, I think they will recruit someone from the luxury segment, or promote Galliera, which I think would be a good idea.

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jonny Ive? I hope that's a joke...

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    During a recent testdrive with a Roma my co-pilot and passenger, a factory test driver, said (extremely excited and highly enthusiastic!) that the new Roma is now basically an iphone with wheels (because I complained about that "ipad"-like device on top of the center console).........he further said that this is what their new clients, especially in Asia, now want............therefore it would make sense to have former Apple employees on the board of Ferrari..........

Marcel Massini

6. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Marcel, this comment from your copilot is rather disappointing/depressing.... Can you imagine a Fcar with a huge IPad in the middle of the dashboard like in a Tesla? I can't think of anything more ugly...

kes7u and AtSomePoint like this.
  7. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Depressing quote..

Ryan13, crinoid, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  8. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Whether people like it or not, the Ferrari we knew has gone. The old Ferrari was extremely autocratic (LDM followed easily in Enzo's shoes), it was very opaque and idiosyncratic. Not pretty at times perhaps but it is what made Ferrari, Ferrari.

The Ferrari of today has to deal with a host of fierce headwinds not least the recognition its fundamental business model is changing by the day. Within 15 years it will be selling luxury mobility, not supercars. Limited Edition will be like watchmaker marketing. It will have much more in common with luxury fashion, hotels and tech than engines, speed and "cars". Performance will be measured by softer values, less functional attributes. As a business proposition, it's sound; luxury is big business and Ferrari's brand power is immense.

Who on earth wants to be the CEO of a public quoted company where you have little power, where you're facing monumentally tough (and hugely risky) strategic business decisions, all to be made on your watch. And when as CEO, you're not only also answerable to a very active board and investor community, but millions of people who have an opinion of what you must do, and what you mustn't do.

The next CEO will almost certainly come from outside Ferrari. Where he/she comes from will say where the marque is going.

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That’s my assumption. Either he had a brush with death and wants to take it easy now having hit the peak of a successful career, or there’s something more they uncovered and he needs further treatment.

Nembo1777, 375+ and Marcel Massini like this.
  10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Look at the Roma's center console and you will find that "ipad". You cannot overlook it.
    Eddy Cue of Apple is on the board of Ferrari since several years already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Cue

Marcel Massini

11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The new guy at Ferrari should be an auto manager, somebody like Ross Brawn. The problem is, as stated by "Camlet1" in post #59, that Ferrari today is no longer an automobile manufacturer but a luxury brand and that a sportscar manufacturer such as Ferrari is faced with immense headwinds. Think "Greta" and all the other "characters".

Marcel Massini

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    One of the top three posts on fchat (since 1st November 2000), EVER.
    E.V.E.R.
    Thank you, Sir.

Marcel Massini

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Italian newspaper "Il Messaggero" promotes Fiat-Chrysler boss Mike Manley as successor of Camilleri. Manley is actually searching a new job because in the upcoming merger of Fiat-Chrysler with the French PSA Group the current PSA boss will become the new CEO, not Manley. I am sure Manley would be pleased to upgrade from a Fiat to a Ferrari.........

Marcel Massini

14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    What do you think about him for the job ?

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #66 Marcel Massini, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Did he do a good job at FCA? Jeep only. The rest is fukced up.

Marcel Massini

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Going public was the end of Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Camlet1 and chrixxx like this.
  18. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    IPO's predictably and inevitably shift focus away from customers/product/quality to shareholders/profits/cost-cutting.

Texas Forever and Jack-the-lad like this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Should I sell my RACE shares?
    What does your crystal ball say?

Marcel Massini

20. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Arguably a better time to be shareholder than customer.
    Whatever you do sell, just make sure its NOT your 812. :)

21. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I'm very humbled Sir!

Thank you Mr Massini, your comment is totally unexpected, very much appreciated, and hugely appreciated.

Warmest wishes for 2021.

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm not sure the Ferrari family own any more of the land that the Factory or Racing team uses. Back in 1978 - 79 Enzo ended the lease hold and sold off the land and factory to FIAT. before then he technically was the owner of the land and leased the Factory to FIAT. It's that windfall that allowed him to move the race team over to Via Fornace - and where the old garages are today that house the Corse client and FXX cars. I believe when FIAT purchased the stock in the company on Enzo's death these facilities were part of that deal. The family - Piero held the remaining 10% & the portion held by Pinninfarina was also sold to FIAT. So the technical owners at that time were FIAT ( Angelli Family ) and the Ferrari Family - Piero.

in the mid 80's there was a pretty divisive rift between Enzo and Piero on the direction of the F-1 team. Piero wanted to continue on with Posthelwhite and Enzo brought on board Barnard... when Enzo found out that Piero had authorized an alternative F-1 car for 88 - 89 Enzo banished him from the team - and sent him to the road car company, and included the race team to FIAT ( for more money ) ..... while its reported that Father and Son were on good terms when Enzo died... nevertheless this rift was a cause of division in the Reparto Corse Ferrari ( race team name at the time. )

I do agree that Piero is more clever than he's given credit... I've heard though ( from very reliable sources who know him personally ) that he's not a people person per see, and that having a conversation with him is "like watching paint dry"

I do think that the Ferrari family still own a large section of Largo Garibaldi in Modena - and I think owned the land for the Enzo Ferrari museum.

pilotoCS likes this.
  23. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Many righteous things have been said.
    Ferrari is another brand, the main asset of which is to capitalize on the badge, on history and on myth.
    Future productions of the brand will have to sell because there is this capitalization.
    Not by what they offer, but by what they represent.
    Many enthusiasts will leave the boat, some will decide to stay.
    Fortunately, the history of the brand is rich enough to find happiness in looking back ...
    LCDM did not want the IPO and knew it was the beginning of the end, the grace cost coming from the dictatorship of the European Commission.
    What made cars was their design and the pleasure of the 5 senses, their connection to racing and history.
    Today, what will be Ferrari's only strength is its marketing department.