ferrari challenge laguna seca. | FerrariChat

ferrari challenge laguna seca.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Edward 96GTS, Sep 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  2. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    All the pre-event info I read indicated it was a private event with no spectators/fans yet we saw numerous people (lots of mountain bikers and hikers) around the track, especially at top of hill/corkscrew. I guess the 'private' portion was limited to just the paddock area. Here's a picture I took at a sunrise track walk. Will try to post more pics later.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever, F1tommy and SAFE4NOW like this.
  3. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
  4. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    What kind of lap times do they turn with the new 488 Challenge cars? Thanks

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Think the fastest was 1:26.771 in qualifying with the TPCS Class. Cooper MacNeil #63. The Shell Am was 1:29.238. These were the 488 Challenge Evos.

mdrums likes this.
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Cooper is fast. My 1st race at VIR (1st time ever seeing that track) Cooper was in my SCCA race class in a BMW and I was in a vette. He was a good 7 seconds faster than me...I suck!

I raced at laguna end of August and the County was still mandating fever checks to the entrance of the paddock and a track cop was driving around making sure we were not gathering. Only limited crew and drivers were allowed in the paddock. It was fine but sort of extreme. Not a fan! I think it is still the same today.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Laguna Seca is the best track in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

rob lay, Sharknose and plastique999 like this.
  8. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    So sad so much politics with laguna. Lots of current mismanagement of the track, neighbors complaining of noise want it gone, developers licking their chops, and clueless County supervisors. I fear we will loose laguna. We will loose Autoclub speedway in March 2021. The smart guy was Bill Huth who got willow springs raceway designated a historical landmark. It isn't a great track IMO but has never been under threat by outside forces as development encroaches.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    When I raced in LotusCup,
    this was my favorite track as well!

So sad that ACS is being converted ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There might be a salvation. BRP is owned by Calclub/SCCA. A new track is being built alongside the current track. Last time I was there grading was underway. Now if we can just get some decent places to eat and stay nearby we could have something...oh and less wiff of cow dung would be welcome too. I hate when the wind blows the wrong direction.

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Hopefully it’s a long track.
    No other track in CA could you get the thrill of the ROVAL hitting 160mph +
    At least better than Chuckwalla in the boondocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wait! No Waffle House?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    LOL! Waffle House would be a hit at BRP! I bet I could make a small fortune there. Does Waffle House franchise? Wanna be partners?

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I've been to Chuck once. I could never stand the drive to go back. I seriously doubt the new BRP will have a long straight. I would not be surprised if the designers think about the future. I bet we will all be racing EV's in the not so distant future and the SCCA short sprint race format will play into that. Until EV's get some range and faster charging its going to be shorter courses and less laps assuming you could get EV charging infrastructure for 500 cars out there.

15. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Yep it was the same this past weekend. Negative covid results report to get a wristband. Then temperature checks every time you entered/re-entered the paddock. Extreme yes, but suppose I'll put up with that so that races can go on.

amen

I've heard rumors it Laguna could be closed by next year. I don't remember the last time Ferrari Challenge didn't race at Laguna and it's not on the schedule for next season so hopefully that's not a sign. Would be tragic to lose such a legendary track!

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Monterey supervisors will point to 2020 and say see we are loosing money with LS and should sell to developers. We have has an unprecedented number of no sound limit days for amateurs because the pros have canceled for 2020. I'm racing LS when I can and racing AutoClub speedway the next 2 events before it is gone March 2021. The writing is on the wall.

17. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    F1tommy and mdrums like this.
  18. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Nice spot and vantage point. I saw your RV each day as I drove in/out. We only had Corse Clienti participate in March at Road Atlanta.

Manda racing likes this.
  19. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

I can think of several tracks off the top of my head that are far better than Laguna Seca, even back in it's "hay days" of the late 60's-70's. In no particular order, Road America, Barber, Mid-Ohio, VIR and Road Atlanta. Faster, more challenging tracks with far better facilities than Laguna. Laguna has become a sterile, politicized, mismanaged shell of what it once was when it was run by true enthusiasts back in the day. If Laguna Seca closes, Sears Point won't be far behind in closing, sports car racing is quickly dying in California.

20. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Land developers are trying to take over the land around Laguna SECA. True, its days are probably numbered. There is a lot of consistant tax revenue in building houses.

21. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’ve never liked the grip at Laguna Seca but extremely satisfying track.
    IMO

hey — what was the Yellow 458 doing out there with the Challenge cars? Slow pace most of the time.