Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli video game | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli video game

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tonyh, Apr 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Beat races!

2. forza.ferrari

forza.ferrari Rookie

Aug 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I just checked in with EB Games, if anyone in Toronto is waiting for Ferrari Challenge to come out it will be available tomorrow at EB Games in Woodside, that is the only location I know that will have it.

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Second day impressions:

- Audio: Turn the annoying music off, and you get the authentic engine sounds I was looking for. Gear shifts, burning rubber, over revs, it's all there.

- Driving physics: Since all games are different, take the time to adjust to this one. It is definitely more of a sim than GRiD and actually feels more dynamic than Forza 2. Sense of speed is similar to GT5 Prologue. Once you concede that you have to slow down for curves and can't put your foot down until you're at the apex, you'll enjoy the game. Also, the cars all handle differently. So far I have the 348 challenge, 430 challenge and 599 GTB. The 599 is the toughest to handle among the three, and the 348 challenge is a dream.

- Graphics: PGR4 & F1 set the standard, and no other game is close. That said, I still find the look of FCTP to lag behind other racers. Close to GRiD, but not as clean. Not so close to GT5 or Forza 2. I actually put on each of the games and compared to FCTP. You get little pop-ups & jaggies, and you can see through parts of the car during replays. As mentioned before by another poster, the tracks feel like they lack depth...driving Mugello feels much different here than in Forza 2.

- Interface: GRiD owns it here...from the 'My Garage' screen to the in-race "coaching", that game gets it done. I like FCTP better than the others sims...it feels like the original F1 game without Murray Walker. Real racing series at real tracks without gimmicks. And, of course, tons of Ferraris!

- Game depth: Good options for the person who wants to drive a full season, a classics challenge or arcade. I like the time limits vs picking laps. The number of real life Italian, European and North American tracks is impressive. It's F1 with Ferrari road cars.

- Peripherals: you can customize paint jobs, fine tune your car during qualifying or between races (challenge series), collect Challenge Cards (achievement awards) gather trophies, etc.

- Damage model: Is there one? Yeah, you get some scrapes and dings, but nothing close to what you get in GRiD. At least it's not GT5 (or any Gran Turismo games)

Overall: As I said before, I want to like this game and after giving it a little more time it's growing on me. It still feels a little 'dated' visually, but the authenticity of sound, driving physics, tracks and a stable of Ferraris compensates for that. If you can't have it all in a game, FCTP does it's job to give you something different from other games. One question though: WHERE IS THE NORDSCHLIEFE? (I know, if Ferrari doesn't use it in real life, why in a sim?) I understand the F1 Nurburgring comes via DLC later.

4. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I have now unlocked:

348 Challenge
    355 Berlinetta
    550 GTS
    575 GTC
    512 M
    512 S
    F50
    F40
    333 SP
    355 Challenge
    348 TB

Woot Woot, thats HALF the cars! Really fun game, it takes a little bit to get used to, but then it is awesome!!!

5. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    HALF??? Doesn't the box say like 47 cars?

6. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    I think the rest are F430 Challenge cars with different livery ;)

7. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Haha probably

8. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Its nice to see the individual challenge drivers' cars in this game. Even Boardwalk Ferrari gets a nod.

9. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    I know that is so cool!

10. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    And Ferrari Washington I just noticed.

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I believe that is correct, this game is missing a whole slew of cars. I'd like to see a 330p4, 288GTO, 288 GTO Evoluzione, 206 Dino, 246 GT, 512BBI, Testarossa, 512 TR, F512M, 308 GT4 DINO, 308 GTB QV, 328 GTB, & the Mondials (8, 3.2, 3.4), the F1 cars, etc.... One good thing about the PS3 is patches & updates can be added but that's entirely up to the developers.

12. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Boardwalk is in there too but no Risi, might be due to their deal with Microsoft for the Xbox 360.

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    william

have you set up an online board yet??!! c'mon m8 ;)

my screen name's arhop23 btw

14. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I'll host some races under WJHMH. Just to get an idea & make sure everyone is on the same page, We'll race Monza with the F430C at 8pm central time. Look for me in the game lobby.

15. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    i'll look out for you m8 :)

16. 2MS

2MS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Has anyone tried this game with a steering wheel? Especially the Logitech G25? Does it work well with it?

17. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    Is it any good on Wii?

18. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I have it for Wii, the grahpics are ok. But the racing content is AMAZING!

19. LUV 4REZS

LUV 4REZS Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Leonard P
    I got it from Wal-Mart today couldn't wait to get home and play it. The graphics are ok, cars look pretty good, I haven't unlocked any of the other cars yet I just got the entry car, the F430. The part where you put all of the stripes and things on the car is sorta useless, it seams that they could have did away with that and made the graphics better for the rest of the game. Tried the time trials with Monza. The first turn after the start is pretty hard to see, the road sorta blends in with everything else. My best time on that track has been a 2:07:35, not really good but I didn't have a lot of time to play it today. I use the GT steering wheel, it's pretty cool with the game but it's a little hard getting used to the steering on it compared to GT 4. I guess the worst thing for me is that the first racing game that I ever had was the GT series I II III IV, once they got to GT IV, there wasn't really a lot of games that could come close to it as far as graphics goes and cars also, so getting this game and seeing the graphics was a little hard to get used to.
    I see on the back of the game it has a cockpit view, how do I get that to show up?

20. LUV 4REZS

LUV 4REZS Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Leonard P
    It says 50 on the back of my game.

21. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Sorry I won't be able to make it. (high school football rivalry) but keep posting every time we meet

22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    LOL. You're right I found PGR utter crap and Forza I and II just barely tolerable.

F1CE and GT5 is where it's at.

Sadly my ebay shipment got delayed another day, so I still have to sit on the sidelines.

I did read a review that gave it lousy marks, but mostly for poor AI (won't bother me much I suppose) and - get this - because it is all Ferrari!!! What utter morons! If you go to Hooters, will you complain that the waiters were all women?

23. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You mean Nordschleife.

If that's all that's missing, I'm ok. Forza and GT4 covered that well.

I'm just psyched that this has Mont Tremblant: A few months ago I got to drive the real track, but without a Ferrari, so now we're up for the real deal. Well sortof. :)

24. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    In 20 minutes of playing I got a 348 Challenge and a 348 TB

25. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I started early to get a feel for it, currently racing with some of the Euro users that are pretty damn fast.