Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli video game | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli video game

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tonyh, Apr 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    OK, one thing I noticed is when an online event starts & it's not going the drivers way half way though, they quit. This might be due to some sort of lag issue but a bit irritating.

2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    It's not as polished as either of those, but driving is similar. After doing laps in Forza 2 and FCTP, you really understand that Forza 2 is just about not driving fast in corners when it comes to driving physics. As far as the AI is concerned, the other cars are pretty annoying. They block aggressively, to the point they will stop you on the track if you try to go through them. That said, if you set them up for a pass as opposed to attempting to push them off track, everything is fine.

As far as the last point they made...did they even read the title?

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Sorry...it's our darned American grammar rules getting in my way ('i' before 'e' except after 'c', blah, blah, blah...)

4. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I had some fun playing with other FCTP owners tonight, got to look into a mic so I can tell some of these players not to quit if they are doing poorly. I didn't even know the game had that option. One thing I found out is turn the traction control off, it does wonders for your lap times. Also try to drive without the driving line, learn the tracks, braking, & cornering. Makes the game even more fun.

WJHMH

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #130 tifosi12, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
    Not to hijack this lovely thread, but it is not the English grammar but the way English pronounces "e", "i", "a" etc. If you come from a non English language those are all pronounced more or less the same way across every non English language.

As my mother always said: English has the easiest grammar and the hardest rules in prononciation. And she is right. Why else is "buckle up" totally differently pronounced than "bugle boy". And you say tomato and I say tomato....

Back to the thread at hand:
    Well, their position is, that they can't imagine anybody would ever want to play a racing game that only caters to one brand. Apparently they haven't met me (and a bunch of other Tifosi) yet: For instance my Forza II garage only features Ferraris and the occasional Lambo and Pagani. My GT4 garage is even more extreme: The Ferrari powered Lancia Stratos in every color you can think of. :) Thank God for the Ferraris in GT5 Prologue.

It's either Ferrari or the Plane.

6. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Has anyone noticed that at times the driver shakes his fist at you like hes pissed off? Is that the games way of telling me I suck.

7. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    If you have a bluetooth headset for your phone you can se that.

I cant believe the price difference between the 2 :)

I think is they made it for the Ds they should have made one for the psp

8. blk360m

blk360m Karting

Apr 23, 2005
    the only thing i don't like about the game is how it feels you can't fully steer like the computer won't let you turn the wheel all the way i only use low abs setting and low tc and no sc anybody else notice this?

9. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I run about the same set up for the computer systems, what are you using for your car set up???

10. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I picked a Madcatz bluetooth headset today but I've should have done some research, I didn't know I could have used the one for my phone but I didn't use the the thing anyway, it's packed up in a box somewhere when I moved.

I'll be racing again this evening so look for me.

WJHMH
    (TEAM) LONE STAR
    USA

11. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Just got the 575 GTC. God I love this game!

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #137 tifosi12, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok, finally got my copy, here my comments:

- Graphics aren't as good as GT5P, but definitely better than what some of the reviews say. The tracks are actually really busy and it is easy to find visual markers for braking points etc.

- Sound is excellent once you turn off the annoying music.

- FFB is good. Not as great as GT4, but lots better than DIRT and of course anything on XBox360.

- Physics is a bit dated, but eventually I got the hang of it. Love to play with the assist levels, which is like in the real car. Just did a wet race where I needed all the SC, ABS and TC I could dial in.

- AI isn't stupid, just feisty. But they can be passed easily if the pass is set up nicely. Also I like to do bumper passes on the inside of a turn and push the AI cars out onto the grass where they loose traction and momentum.

- Interface is plain and simple, as I like it.

Overall a fantastic game and an instant classic. Cant wait to collect all the cars for download.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I have now unlocked:

348 Challenge
    355 Berlinetta
    550 GTS
    575 GTC
    512 M
    512 S
    F50
    F40
    333 SP
    355 Challenge
    348 TB
    599 GTB Fiorano
    575 M

Tracks:
    Spa
    Monza
    Silversone
    Mugello
    Paul Ricard
    Misano

14. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    #139 ricksb, Aug 31, 2008
    This was my comparison point on the graphics (PGR 4):

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #140 tifosi12, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
    Agreed that it looks absolutely stunning. Sadly it is all looks and zero substance (gee, didn't I just say that somewhere in the politics section?).

I drove PGR4 for something like 10 minutes and then threw it away.

And on a side note: Yes, the city circuits are cute, but just fantasy. That's the part I (also) love about Challenge: Those are the real life circuits.

16. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #141 WJHMH, Aug 31, 2008
  17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Agree on all points (although I do enjoy the eye candy called PGR 4). Like I said, FCTP is like the original Formula 1 for the Playstation. Regardless of generation, it was the best racing game created, imo, because it was real tracks and felt like competing in a race series versus a game. I already enjoy it more than Forza 2 and GT5P, and not just because I can unlock new cars...the race series actually are the coffee and getting new Ferraris is the cream.

I'm curious who you gave the 'all looks and zero substance' to in the politics section...

18. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Where did you get all of the sponsor decals??? I was hoping they had more than was given in the livery section.

19. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I used the basic F430C "America" then changed the color & added various vinyls. I read you can add 50 layers per section if you feel like getting creative.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Glad you enjoy it.

The race series is also what makes it more fun for me. Because that series exists. I think going forward (as in next year and following) I will play a race on non F1 weekends. Just about works out with roughly 20 GPs on the calendar.

My take on Palin, although republicans might say the same thing about Obama. Anyhow, let's not get into politics here.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    After some more time with the game a few observations and questions:

- While I disagree with some critics who say the tracks are devoid of scenery, I think there is a bit too much: Just drove Redwood (Montreal) and it looks a lot more like Monza with the kind of signs and trees than Montreal. I happen to drive the real Montreal track a few months ago and can attest that it looks different. The track layout though is spot on.

- For the life of me I can't beat the AI cars in qualifying and always start dead last. However once in the race I pass these guys like they're standing still. So how is it possible that they drive such super fast qualifying laps, but then are so slow in the race? Sounds to me, that the game is deliberately trying to keep me back in qualifying. For comparison: In F1CE I qualify pretty much where I end up in the race: If I'm on pole, I normally win and if I can't get past midfield, that's where I stay during the race.

- What's with all that rain? Of 4 tracks, 2 had constant rain. I turned on all assists to max (max ABS, SC and TC), but then got the feeling, that I no longer can pass the AI cars. Is this game using that old (and unrealistic) rule, that the more aids you turn on, the slower your car drives? That'd be totally unrealistic, although somewhat common in games like this (I believe Forza does it as well).

- Physics model is really missing a few beats: I noticed that there are absolutely no pitch movements on acceleration or deceleration. Something you really experience in GT5P. Pitty that.

- Has anybody on here done any tuning of the car? If so, care to share your experience/tips/secrets? In F1CE I love the test cycle you can go through to optimize your setup. I wish there was a similar thing in here, but I think it is just a guessing game.

- How are you guys driving in the rain? As stated above, with all the assists on, I can't pass anybody and without the assists I'm off the track.

On a brighter note, I get more and more used to the FFB and have tweaked the settings for steering and pedals (neat that!). Also the races themselves are a joy. So yes, I do love this game, but it has some drawbacks.

22. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    we do!

23. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Totally agreed on the qualifying, I'm at 10/10ths and can't get anywhere but I win every race!

I'm totally fine with rain, drove at Monza in the rain in my third race and didn't really find it that much more difficult than the dry.

24. zanti70

zanti70 F1 Veteran

Dec 9, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Does anyone know how many cars can be unlocked in the DS version? I got F430 Challenge, F360 Challenge Stradale, F355 Challenge, FXX and F575 GT Challenge and I have completed all the championship races... Tracks I got: Fiorano, Monza, Germany (Hockenheim), France (Magny Cours), UK (Silverstone), Adriatico, Mugello and Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps).

Bob

25. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I have now unlocked:

348 Challenge
    355 Berlinetta
    550 GTS
    575 GTC
    512 M
    512 S