Ferrari Classiche - Which Camp Are You In? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Classiche - Which Camp Are You In?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Nov 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Ferrari Classiche - Which Camp Are You In?

1. Love It - Great that the factory is actively engaged in restoring and certifying it's heritage.

21 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Hate It - Restorations are poorly done and inaccurate. Certification should have no substance.

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. A Fan - But restoration work and accuracy needs improvement. Certification has merits.

28 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    There is also the Classiche White Book for Ferraris of Historic Interest, as I'm sure you well know.

2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I have read the same story and the discs went back on to the PF Cab afterwards. In any case, the discs were only replaced by drums a few years ago. I only picked that particular car as an easy example because I saw it a few days ago and it is well known but it is far from the only example and probably not the best anyway because I'm sure the discs are tucked away somewhere and can easily be put back on again. Rather it was the point that anyone might think that "restoring" that particular car in order to "make it more original" should involve removing so important a modification.

Of course they are because Ferrari have done a brilliant job of making Classiche important to the value and trading of such cars. I take my hat off to them for having done so but it is the end result of that for some of the cars that bothers me.

In some cases others know more than Classiche though. Classiche has existed for only a few years whereas there are restorers and historians who have been involved with Ferrari for very much longer. A couple of examples: I was told of a car being restored where Ferrari said the dash was wrong and needed to be changed back to "original". Yet when it was removed it had all the original numbers and markings on the back so clearly was original and just not recorded in Ferrari's files. Then there was the Dino that Ferrari insisted was left hand drive and so must have been converted to right hand drive at some stage and needed to be converted back - until the original records for the car from Maranello Concessionaires showed that it was indeed right hand drive to start with.

Yes, but...

Jonathan

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Great post.
    One question then is where do draw the line on history. For example the drogo cars which were done in period, changing them back to what left the factory would be a travesty.. Or is the line drawn on 50's car at 1980? In the old days the educated market/buyer decided, period changes were valued as part of the car, modern changes or upgrades less so. Now we have classiche which sets only one standard and due to their rleation to the parent company essentialy claims all others are a lesser standard .

I can see if youre having an older car "restored" and have unlimited funds how classiche is a good thing. Probably the work is done well, its timely, they have acess to all the neceeasry reman bits, its all done to a standard and all ylu have to do is write checks to get back a great car, thats a good restoration service.

When classiche interposes themselvs as the higest relevant standard, when they start affecting the values of various cars because theye are or are not classiche regardless of how well the actual car is done, thats a diservice.

What i am saying is the market or uneductaed individuals in the market may well choose to pay a premium for classiche. However when classiche by the way it operates and its relationship to the factory starts essentialy defining all others as lesser thats an issue and the issue we have.

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The story is not true apparently. Enzo Ferrari had called a Dunlop rep to Maranello for him to work with Carlo Chiti to convert Hawthorn's Dino 246 to disc brakes. Collins had got Dunlop in England to put the disc brakes on 0655GT and they had to use the Dunlop disc wheels like those of the D Type. Also the current owner of 0655GT is said to have put the drums back on along with the Borrani wheels for it to be more concours correct many years ago. He still has the discs and the Dunlop disc wheels. Does anyone have pics of 0655GT with the Dunlop wheels and discs?

5. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
  6. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    IMO, Classiche was a very good idea.

Then it vecame busibess for Ferraro.

And then it beacme hypocrisy from the Owners.

Here, we don not count anymore the cars that swap their specific mistakes bedore going to the checking. ONly to get the Classiche.

On my own, I fot it for one of my cars directly at the Factory.

I had it restored with factastic optional sponge seats.

My car originally left the Factory w/ full vynil.

However, I got the Classiche w/ 0 fools

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Just had my car photographed and the application was submitted yesterday. Hard to say how long it will take for certification.

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #34 miurasv, Aug 18, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    See 0655 GT with the Dunlop wheels in link here in the 1964 film Goodbye Charlie.

Image Unavailable, Please Login