Ferrari Club Of America - Ga. Chapter Jekyll Island Event | FerrariChat

Ferrari Club Of America - Ga. Chapter Jekyll Island Event

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by spirot, Apr 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So just wanted to post some pics from this past weekend's FCA Ga trip. this is the first one in a long time, hosted by Cody Laird our new Chapter President (elect).

The trip was to the historic Jekyll Island Club, so this if you are not aware was the playground of the rich and richer back in the early 20th century. Rockefellers, Morgans, etc... today the club is still there, but owned by the state so it's historic but not exactly your 5-star resort, but for a weekend the quaintness outweighs the lack of amenities.
    We rode down in the 599, with friends who trailered their 812, and 348, breezed on down to Brunswick Ga, and off to the Jekyll Island Club. after check-in, some relaxation by the pool and margaritas while we catch up with friends. Dinner that night was at the wharf and cocktail reception at the main bar as the welcome reception. we had about 16 cars, one participant, unfortunately, had an electrical issue just as you get off 16 on 95, so they ventured in by Uber, knowing the frustration, cocktail hour was extended!

The next day dawned gray with patches of sun, but the threat of rain in the afternoon. So we got the cars all lined up and ready for a short cruise around the island, for some pictures, and while the driving was easy and very touring the residents of the island loved seeing 16 Ferrari's and a vintage Alfa cruising by! lots of cheers and waves! we then headed back to the club for a box lunch and small Concours next to the croquet lawn. the weather cooperated so we all had lunch outdoors where we did not have to wear masks and could have social distancing while viewing the cars with a great backdrop. yours truly won best-closed car... on a coin toss... against a fantastic 812!!. we actually tied up, so the coin chose the winner. The best open car went to Rhonda and Harry's 488, and Ladies Choice went to a smokey gray California T, with best in the show to the usual winner in the SE - Chuck Beams outstanding 250GTE.

After a very relaxing Concours and several mid-day cocktails we moved the cars to their overnight parking and headed in for a nap, as unfortunately, the storm clouds broke... bid time! lightning, Thunder, the threat of hail had some nervous folks, but luckily it was just heavy - monsoon condition rain. By 6:45 PM it had cleared a bit and we moved onto the low country boil dinner for the group held at the Jekyll Island Club. the post-awards ceremony we moved over to the porch and bar area for final conversations, and most of the group broke up around 11Pm headed for Ferrari dreams. later that evening, around 1AM, some of us awoke to a titanic storm, wind, lightning, and lots of thunder. This was a real drencher, with amazing electrical fireworks, for me that made it impossible to stay awake. but I did feel for my 599, out there getting a soak of its life

Not to worry, we awoke to all Ferrari's being fully accounted for, none melted and nobody had any issues... except for one who kind of left their passengers window down a bit... ( it'll buff right out )... By 10 AM most everyone was heading back home and we concluded our first FCA Ga. event for 2021. More are in the works so I encourage you to join the club, and come on out and "play"... I maintain the best thing about owning a Ferrari is the people you meet!

ciao, Ferraristi!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    This was a fun weekend and Cody's work preparing the itinerary and the lodging really showed. Many thanks to everyone who made the trip. We are all looking forward to The Grove Park Inn for the next club soiree.

430jm and ATLdoghouse like this.
  3. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta

4. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    Awesome write up Tom!
    And kudos again to you and Cody.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Thank you, but the credit goes to Cody Laird. I did very little. Cody is the engine & has some great ideas, so I'll do what I can to support.

6. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I wished we could have made the trip but great to see this write-up on what we missed! Looking forward to the Grove Park - when’s that scheduled?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Looks like it was a great time!! We will put this on our list for next year.

8. NachoRunner601

NachoRunner601 Karting

Dec 30, 2019
    St. George, UT
    Full Name:
    James M Burkett
    Out of curiosity - will this happen again this year? If so, any dates set?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app