Ferrari Concorso in Hawaii? | FerrariChat

Ferrari Concorso in Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by TrojanFan, Sep 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This idea is being discussed as part of the FCA Hawaii gathering for next March at Turtle Bay. The Concorso would be open to both members and non-members. Is this something that would appeal to the local owners? We would need to see 30+ cars to make it an event.

Follow the FCA Hawaii event thread for more information as it becomes available.

Respond back if a Concorso is something that you would be interested in bringing your Ferrari to.

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I can bring one. What are the usual entry fees for this kind of event ?

3. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't know what it will need to be here. Cost when FCA does it in Pasadena runs $140 per entry but there are a lot of costs involved there including shutting down city streets and 2 lunch tickets for each entry. I would think that this could be done for significantly less depending on what charges need to be covered for the venue and if we can get the local Ferrari dealer to sponsor some of the costs.

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #4 spicedriver, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's not too bad. And it's a good idea to get the dealer involved. I have also seen them display their own cars at various events, so maybe they can bring some cars as well.

Off topic- the pinup in your avatar is an Alberto Vargas painting. He also did the famous Cars album cover painting of Candy Moore, posing on the hood of a Ferrari 365 GTC/4.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm a Vargas fan. The one I use is also on the men's room wall at the Duke's that we have here in Malibu.

We have already made arrangements with the hotel for both VIP Ferrari parking for those attending portions of the FCA event at Turtle Bay as well as for a dealer display at the hotel. A concorso takes the display to a whole different level.

This is just preliminary and we need to get into more details with Turtle Bay before we can put together pricing. Most likely have it on one of their lawn areas, with some food trucks and open up for the public. What we really need to understand is if we can get enough Ferraris there to make it an event. If we partner with the dealer it will be much easier to promote and may have access to their mailing list of owners.

6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    If it is going to be a true Concours, I'm pretty sure you'll need to fly in the judges.

PCA has had a "Concours" for many years, but the judges are not knowledgeable. I would say it is more of a show and shine.

7. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    For sure. You may even need to fly in the cars. I have a modified driver, just the way I like it. I have no interest in someone telling me what isn't perfect or original on my Ferrari. I already know that. I made it that way.

I have huge respect for concours, but the 808 is like another country. There are not enough cars you can shake from the banyan tree to get a concours together for Ferraris. Maybe 30 on the island total.

8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #8 spicedriver, Sep 2, 2016
    Yeah. I've got Aeroquip hoses, a Fiat oil filler cap, and a Porsche radiator cap, and I'm not scared.

Here's 3:

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #9 spicedriver, Sep 2, 2016
  10. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    There should be at least a few judges coming in the group from the mainland. May have to rethink the judging criteria to something else if many of the cars are modified.

11. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Peter,

I wouldn't say that many of the cars are modified. I would say that this is Hawai'i. I don't even know what I mean by that but everyone else who has lived here does. There are a million people on O'ahu and I think my estimate of 30 Ferrari's on the island is a good guess.

How many are road worthy?..... 20? (I'm pointing at Larry)

I have seen about 5-6 Ferraris not owned by FoH ever driving around Honolulu/Waikiki. Most of which are posters on this board. I would guess from that there are around 10 "drivers" on the island. At best you would have 15 Ferrari's showing up to a concours. If that is enough then you have your work cut out for you getting them all to actually show up on the same day. Everyone is on island time.

I work a lot but if you want an on island contact to help get this together PM me. I will do what I can.

Mahalos
    Steve

12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm sure there are at least 100 Ferraris on Oahu. How many would show up for a Concorso is hard to say. One sticking point may be that Turtle Bay is a little bit far removed from the population center.

Another enthusiast who could be a big help is Ed Kemper - [email protected]. Have him put a notice on his Lunch Bunch mailing. He also has a local car oriented TV Show, that would probably want to cover the event.

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm with spice as I believe there is at least 100 Ferraris on Oahu. Most are roadworthy, but don't come out very much, while others are kept in storage. A friend used to keep his Testarossa, 246 Dino Competizione, and R5 Turbo2 in a warehouse. There is also the exotics group (not JN Exotics) that usually do an early Sunday morning run. That group runs the newer Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

The one daily driver Ferrari I know of, is Terry T.'s yellow Dino. I think he alternates between that and his BRG Elan. Ed Kemper is definitely one of the go to guys regarding such an event. Another person is Bill Maloney. Both co-chair the Lunch Bunch. Larry T. aka sowest in a very good contact for the older Ferraris.

14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I'll bet your friends initials are FH. Good guy. It's a small world. And yes the cars are all hidden away. I was doing some work at a guy's house, and he asked if I wanted to see his cars. We go into the garage, and there under wraps are a Testarossa, and an F40 !

Perhaps a Concorso would be reason enough to take off the wraps ?

15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That's him! I think he took all the cars with him when he moved a few years ago. Yes, lots of hidden stuff here.

Thinking out loud: I think the way to get the word out to other Ferraris is to talk to the mechanics. JN, Larry T., and Creighton W. come to mind.

16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #16 spicedriver, Sep 3, 2016
  17. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I think that is BC's old 308. I did see it on an AZ Craigslist ad a year ago.

18. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    It is true about Hawaii: there are many interesting cars that remain mostly hidden away. They seem to come and go in a slow constant cycle. I believe part of the reason is that a good portion of the population is also very mobile. Some of it is also that drivers find the road and traffic conditions here very frustrating. Another thing that I frequently hear is the fear of taking a car out somewhere, parking, and being victimized by vandalism or just plain carelessness. Eventually, the car sits until the decision is made to send it back to the mainland or sell it.

The early cars are getting mighty scarce. Within the last year a 365 2+2 that saw regular use was sold to the mainland. There was a 250 GTE with a frozen engine. The last I knew, the owner was talking to Mike Sheehan. I suspect that it has also been sold to the mainland. There must be some out there somewhere, but at this point, I have personal knowledge of only one Enzo era front engine V-12. I am assuming the big collection on Kauai has been dispersed after the death of the owner.

Car clubs and gatherings have had a hard time here. I know of failed attempts for Alfa, Lotus, and Morgan. The reasons have been discussed: working all the time to meet the high cost of living, family obligations, competition from all the other activities available in Hawaii. I am sure these are factors, but it seems they would apply to any locale. I feel the real problem is the small population base. A successful event needs almost 100% turnout.

How many Ferraris? That is a frequently asked question. I think 100 may be a bit high, but certainly possible. It would interesting to to get someone at DMV to do a search of the registration database. Has anyone made a very healthy campaign contribution this year.....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

19. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #20 spicedriver, Sep 4, 2016
    I doubt if the DMV would be much help. They had mine spelled "FARAI".

I've heard the story that Joe Nicolai had a big Ferrari collection in a warehouse somewhere. Perhaps that's just another Hawaii legend ? At any rate, they do seem to bring in a lot of cars. I don't think they would be bringing in that many cars, without sales prospects.

20. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #21 spicedriver, Sep 4, 2016
    Is this the same car ? There must be at least 30 cars in the spotters thread.

21. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Joe's collection was under his airport dealership. It wasn't just Ferraris. He had a 4porte and some other stuff including a carved wooden motorcycle art thing.

22. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I believe it is, as BC is a part of the exotics group. That might be him in the red cap. He may still have his 512.

23. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Yes, Mr. Nicolai has a collection of cars. The collection includes Maserati and Lamborghini. My understanding is that a number of the cars have been sold off, perhaps in anticipation of the move to the new building. The 400 GT Lamborghini has just returned from a factory restoration. This is the ex-Sergio Battistetti (Sergio's restaurant) car.

There is no doubt, a lot of cars go through JN Exotics. My understanding is that they are distributors for the Pacific region. It may be that some of the cars do not stay in Hawaii. It may also be that the parking structures of the new Kakaako condos are full of Ferraris....;>) It seems the Teslas come out of there in bunches....;>) I also saw a Caterham 7 and a Saleen.

BC has sold the BBi. It now lives on the North Shore.

24. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The Concorso "could" be fun but all it would take to ruin the fun for me is some good ole fashioned Hawaii weather! Makes planning and prep very tough!