Ferrari confirms new Dino | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari confirms new Dino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RichardCH, Mar 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Exactly.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I concur.

True, demand has so outstripped supply at this point that we have 599s going for huge amounts over MSRP. I admit there's something cool about the mystique of 'the line' to get a Ferrari, but any economist would say they're not making enough cars.

As far as the car pictured in the link above, I'm guessing it's a preliminary artist's conception, but I'm glad to see Ferrari going smaller.

$180K ain't cheap - I'm not worried.

3. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I know someone who for over a year now had a letter in which the dealer had him as an early spot for the new "dino".

4. Bandorka

Bandorka Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    Budapest
    Full Name:
    András
    What is the problem??

Makes perfect sense.

Current price level of 430 will be applied thus the F149 will still be "hard to get".
    The F430 replacement will be at least 10-15-20% higher priced...as well as the others IMO

With this engine the new "entry" Ferrari will still smoke almost every car on the street, both looks and performance...
    So it will be a highly desired car.

Now F produces only 3(!) car family. 430, 599, 612.

I guess there is room for one more...

and going up from 6K to 10K does not mean mass production!

I do not know if any of you have actually seen the car, I haven't, but I am sure that if Ferrari was willing to take this brave step , that car must be stunning!!!!

On the other hand, if you want to be competitive, you need funds, really, if Ferrari sticked to the principle of producing cars only for the "really chosen ones", they would surely be out of business within the next decades...IMHO. Neeeeeedddd money to be able to develop the best cars of the world....

Best,

B

5. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    Heh, I almost feel like it has. It hurts me a lot to say it. But I don't really understand the greed. If they want to generate more income they should just up the MSRP as the market has shown that they clearly could.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Can't help thinking back to the sixties when things were beyond casual at the factory. Seems we've traded Michaelangelo for Machievelli.

7. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    I completely agree with you. I think that over the past few years Montezemolo and Ferrari in general have proven themselves to be trustworthy. I have no doubts that the myth shall live on...

Carlo

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    That could work in the short term but if the economy continues to tank here (it would cause a recession all over the World too,regardless of what anyone says about the effect of US on Global Markets) it would be much more difficult to go back in pricing.
    Ferrari does not do rebates (similarly to Hermes or other ultra luxury brands)and with the current pricing policy their product would not be affected even in case of very deep recession.
    At worst,the waiting lines would be drastically reduced but the cars would still go at list.

9. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Incredible !!! I hope you don t buy a Ferrari model because it s expensive,but only because you like it, and you need such a technics and esthetics specifications.
    If the price remain the most important,every Ferrari customer will buy a 612!!! price and myth are very different,very opposate for actual cars.A lower price(could we speak of lower price at this level !!!) isn t the principal aspect in a personal decision when you choose to buy a Ferrari. I think you just should buy the model you ve need.

10. CSISNEXT

CSISNEXT Karting

Dec 19, 2007
    I'm thinking they (F) may discontinue the 612, placing the 599 (and it's successor) as the flagship even though it' not a 2+2. But...how many 612's are sold currently, indicating soft demand for the 2+2. And, the 599 seems to have achieved the ultra lux sport/GT mantle, which in my opinion it deserves. If i'm right, the new model becomes the entry level, and it will probably be priced at just about the current entry level for the F430 (as others here have speculated); then the F430 successor goes upmarket a few ticks, which would be understandable in my view; and then the 599 'assumes the throne' at the top.
    thoughts??

11. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Ferrari has recently produced two cars that I wouldn't buy - the 599 and the 612 - but that doesn't mean that I love the marque any less.

Did I miss something? I don't see where this car is going to be called a "Dino."

It looks like this car is going to move into the price range of the F430 coupe - at the low end for new Ferraris, perhaps, but hardly "cheap!"

Then the replacement for the F430 will be a bit more than the car it replaces. (This stands to reason: 360s cost more than 355s when they came out; 355s cost more than 348s, which cost more than 328s. . .)

A convertible with a removable hardtop is not a bad idea; it might be more versatile than a typical targa top.

I'm just not quite certain about the looks, yet. . .I'll have to wait until I can see the car in person - or at least some better photos - before I'll be able to say that I might consider buying one.

But "mass-produced?" "Dilutes the brand?" "Ferrari is becoming Toyota?" Whoa, guys, take it easy!

Ferrari isn't even close to approaching Porsche's production numbers (thank God!) And they're not even turning out sedans, much less SUVs.

Repeat the mantra: "It will all be okay. . .It will all be okay. . ."

Breathe deep. . .

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    In today's business world to stand still is to die. Plant expansion in Maranello shows the Ferrari has planned an increase in production for quite a while. Making more of the existing lines would threaten the demand that they've so diligently nurtured. This leaves a move slightly down market. A move with historical precedent given the iconic Dino.

13. Rong

Rong Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Ron
    This car looks like a baby 599...agreed? Slightly less performance perhaps, but a convertible hardtop and at $160K less (a fairly well equipt 08' 599 is $360K). Gotta want those cylinders a pretty badly at $40K a piece. What do you think?

14. LARuf

LARuf Karting

Jan 13, 2006
    LA
    Monte-z said Ferrari would never do this...mmmm

15. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    He said Ferrari would never do a lower-end Ferrari ala Dino. The f149 is by no means going to be the new Dino.

No.

The F149 is simply going to be a fourth model and its production won't touch the rest of the lineup. In fact the 612M (or whatever they're going to call the updated version of the 612) should be coming out in the not so distant future according to Milan's Ferrari dealership (Rosso Corsa).

16. Bandorka

Bandorka Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    Budapest
    Full Name:
    András
    I do not think so. There is a huge performance difference and the 599 is the king of the line up. Many customers want the "king"...

17. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Body assembly for many Ferrari models has been carried out by Pininfarina.

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Indeed, in many cases it has, but the article (and others) seems to hint that the entire car might be produced off site at Pininfarina's facility, ala various low production Peugeots etc.. This may have more to do with the state of things at Pininfarina than at Ferrari. I believe that they are with out any production contracts at the moment and are looking for such work.

19. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Looks like a great car with new Ferrari technology that will find its way into the other cars.

20. mat

mat Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Warsaw/Lodz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mateusz
    yeah you don't even need to guess it. the F430 successor will me something like F540, still V8, maybe bi-turbo? gallardo is going exactly the same way, mind LP560

21. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Hahaha, let me tell you one thing...

The Ferrari SUV is coming...

Pagani...

22. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Some dealers will tell people anything - including something like this - to secure some down payment money.

As for the new car - F149 - I think it's a great move. Porsche, in my opinion, is very underrated. They make amazing cars. Is it weird to see Porsche's badge on the back of an SUV everyday...? Of course. But Porsche's brilliance isn't just in its sports cars; it's also in its decision to mass produce the Cayenne and many of its other models, so they could get back on their feet and finance a hugely successful project like the Carrera GT. Ferrari makes a lot of money. But they also spend a lot of money as well. A move like this will only facilitate Ferrari's plans for the future with greater comfort and greater expectations. It's foolish to think that "exotic" and "rare" are mutually exclusive.

23. fordgt2006

fordgt2006 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    I am glad to see them build this car for the price and the production numbers maybe it will provide some people who can't afford to pay huge premiums over MSRP(F430/599GT) the chance to buy a new Ferrari.

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It is a great move, if only because Ferrari could use a "big news" car --they haven't done anything groundbreaking since the Enzo, and that was more an image car than an actual product you could buy. (The F430 Scuderia is a lightened-up F430, but that car was a sequel to the 360, which is going on 10 years old.)

The most important thing is that Ferrari get back to making a smaller, lighter sports car that generates a lot of interest among people who really don't think about Ferrari from one week to the next.

25. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Smaller, lighter remains to be seen. I'm betting this car is actually heavier than a 430. Supposedly, lighter cars are in the future still.

Dave