Ferrari confirms new Dino | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari confirms new Dino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RichardCH, Mar 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Not in a million years...

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Lately, Ferrari's releases seem to garner ample press, and the subsequent reviews of each new model seem to be so stellar that they sustain said press for some time. But I agree, something new and groundbreaking - "big news" - is definitely a benefit.

The people who don't really think about Ferraris from one week to the next are the people who buy Ferraris for the wrong reason. :)

3. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    +1

I find people who try to put Porsche down to be total ignorant morons.

4. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Ferrari had to done something because with the euro dollar conversion going south, the 430 is going to get even more expensive, and it's replacement will be over 300k I suspect. That will reduce the market, and they needed a car around 200k for their mass market car. I still think it, and the 599 are ugly though.

Art

5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Wouldn't such plans be made well in advance of these recent developements?

6. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    F149 near of the 430 s price isn t a mass market.In Europe, it s a no sense to think such a thing...

7. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    If it's going to get to the point where I see multiple Ferraris everyday then I might as well save some money and buy a Corvette.

8. 68rcodemustang

68rcodemustang Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Mullet
    they will sell every single one they can make. People don't care if it is a "mass produced" car. They want a FERRARI.

9. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    They will start caring when they are a dime a dozen like Corvettes and Porsches

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    +1000, this is a mistake for Ferrari. What they should have done (long time ago) was not try to expand, but increase prices. The line ups were there. I got news for some of you, i have been in FoO 3 yrs in a row in spring, and have been offered a bew F430 to order every time....they always say they have one more left they can get me for Sept/Oct....which tells me....its BS !!!!

They should have stayed the course, and raise prices year after year in big numbers. This would have helped the secondary market, and they should have focused more on the past owners to upgrade and fix there cars, like the 308s, 328s...too many wrecks of those around for 25K that hurt the brand, i cant imagine what the 360s, 430s or this new dino will look like in 15 yrs ? You will see these cars for sale in secondary places with ballons on them, and a big white board in the front glass saying "SALE"

Sad, Sad, day !!

Time for a lambo

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Depending on where ya live, the 360/430 is already a commonplace car.

12. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    And what planet is this?

13. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Well, Monaco for instance (but there aren't many 'exotic exotics' in Monaco)...but for 99.999% of the world Ferraris will remain just as rare. We need to take into account that many of these 'extra' Ferraris are heading to 'new' markets (Asia, Russia etc.) and therefore the increase in the volumes of sales in the traditional markets isn't as drastic as it may seem. In any case, at 10k cars per year I find it very, very hard to consider Ferrari a mass producer now. All considered I find such a move adequate for a brand like Ferrari as in my opinion 10k isn't large enough to compromise the 'exoticness'/exclusivity of the brand but enough to have a sensible increase in income (they still need to make money at the end of the day).

14. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Of course,look the Aston V8 vantage for exemple.It remains very exclusive.

15. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Los Angeles, Atherton, Miami, Scottsdale, Monaco + many more I'm sure.

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    North Dallas area

17. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Palm Springs.

18. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    +1 Your right, it has been almost 10 years since they have introduced anything new and dramatic.

I believe this car is a mistake though I also believe it will be successful. The reason is most will want the 430 replacement and I can see dealers telling these buyers to buy the 149/Ca Gt (whatever they call it) and you will get on the list for the 430 replacement. The 149 will be very heavy and underpowered. It is a SLK. This is nothing more than Ferrari trying to capitalize on the success of the mid-engine 360/430. The 149 will not be a performing car but it will have a Ferrari badge and price tag.

It is good for the dealers and Ferrari. Bad for present Ferrari owners.:(

19. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Manila, Philippines! They actually have quite a few 360's (two are confirmed burnt) driving around.

20. 68rcodemustang

68rcodemustang Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Mullet
    4000 extra a year will not make them a dime a dozen and if you think so you are very mistaken.

how many Corvettes and Porsches are made a year?

Once you figure this number out you will realize an extra 4000 Ferrari's a year will be a drop in the dime a dozen bucket (of vettes and porsches).

21. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    I'd be interested in knowing how these additional 4000 cars are going to be allocated in Ferrari's various markets. Would not assume each dealer will get a total of 2/3 more cars per year, as above posts have speculated about new markets in Asia, Russia, etc. Available incomes in various markets could be a factor in spreading the allocations around.

Also, even tho the $ has tanked relative to the Euro, I would be careful in assuming the slide will continue, as
    at some point(already) the conversions will have eaten into the export ability of currencies such as the Euro.
    Stupid government policies tend to be corrected eventually by market conditions.

22. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    With people literally waiting on lists to buy their cars Ferrari should do what they can to preserve the special nature of the brand. With this in mind they should go back to more of the handmade car making techniques of the past and raise the price to cover the labor cost. This would improve the brand image even more. As performance goes way beyond what anyone expects from such a car something else has to set the car apart and a handmade car could do the trick.

This way would allow them to get more money for the same amount of cars made instead of making more cars.

I don't think this new car nor the boxster are bad cars just ones that lower the image of the marque.

The brand is the most valuable asset IMO.

23. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Lax, lax....and if that doesn't work....Re-lax :)

We've all heard this hype before, nothing is for real until you see one in the show-room. Ferrari is many things, but dumb they're not.

24. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    IMHO, we should wait until the car comes out before sating it's going to be underpowered, heavy etc...Ferrari has never let us down in the more or less recent years from the performance point of view (and the aesthetics too in my opinion, but that's a very subjective matter). Also, comparing the F149 to the Boxter seems a bit of a stretch to me...since when has Porsche been selling the Boxter/Cayman for F430 money?

To be perfectly honest I think we're stressing out a little too much considering the scarcity of data at our disposal, and from what we know I find it hard to see how some seem to be able to foreshadow the imminent disaster that this car is going to bring...

+1

25. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    ferrari is owned by fiat and as fiat cannot keep its stockholders happy ferrari will have to up sales and profitability.......