Ferrari confirms new Dino | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari confirms new Dino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RichardCH, Mar 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Fiat is doing VERY well at the moment. I doubt it needs Ferrari's money...in fact, as far as I know Ferrari has always held on to its income.

2. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    This is awful news.

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Doesn't need Ferrari's money because it has GM's.

4. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Only to a lesser extent. GM has given Fiat about $2 billion...Fiat has managed to repay an 8 billion EUROS debt in past 3/4 years. Fiat's sales have been doing extremely well lately and I wouldn't be surprised to see it heading towards Toyota in the next 10-20 years if they carry on...

5. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The post was (mostly) in jest. Forgot the smiley :>

6. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Fair enough :)

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Even with the arrival of this new Ferrari new customers will NOT be able to buy a Ferrari at MSRP for less than a 2 year wait.
    So how any body can justify saying this dilutes the brand is beyond me.

8. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    While driving home last summer, in my 430, I noticed 2 360s, and a 430 spider, all on the same road, all heading to Marin County. While not common, there certainly are more than a few of them around SF, and it's suburbs. Some areas where the wealth is apparent, have more than a few around.

Art

9. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    My first car was a 124 Sport Coupe and I welcome the good news of Fiat's fiscal health. With Alfa comming back to the States I think that there might be room in their showrooms for a Fiat or two as well.

10. fordgt2006

fordgt2006 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    I saw 2 F430's within 10 minutes of each other on Saturday.

11. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Honestly, I don't see why anyone's stressing out about this.

1. Each of us has at least one Ferrari that we don't like aesthetically already.

2. Nobody was screeching about how the entry-level 430 would "diminish the brand" when it came out. (On the contrary, everyone I know with the means was scrambling to try to buy one.) So why is this new car, with a similar price tag, considered a threat?

3. I understand that Ferrari MAY increase volume, but certainly not to the extent that everybody and his wife, dog, and monkey is going to be driving one. Let's get real: Even in Scottsdale, Palm Springs, and Beverly Hills, where there are some people who could afford one, the vast majority of millionaires want super-luxury monster SUVs.

4. Slightly unrelated, but still relevant: The article doesn't say anything about this being a "Dino," and what I can see of the badging suggests that it's labeled all over as a Ferrari. Did I miss something, or am I just not cool enough to join those of you who have jumped on the Handwringing Hysteria bandwagon? ;)

12. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I can care less if Ferrari sells as many cars as GM. I drive them because I like them, period.

13. slowpulseboy

slowpulseboy Rookie

Jan 16, 2007
    Near Geneva
    if this can avoid to get screwed everytime we go and see the dealer, I do not mind. I just sold my 360 for a 997 S, because I could not stand anymore to feel like a cash machine for the F Dealer

Everytime I had it fixed, the dealer was taking care of it the next day, they were so desperate with business that they had to put as much as they could in maintenance cost on any car that entered the dealership. I am really sick of F. Sorry about that, these are fantastic cars, but I underwent more than I could stand

14. SpeedGeek

SpeedGeek Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Jo'burg, S. Africa
    Full Name:
    Warren
    This made me sad:

This made me happy:

Good to see Ferrari still has some customers that care more about the driving experience than the image.

15. F355maniac

F355maniac Rookie

Apr 3, 2006
    UK
    Whatever way you look at it, this car will still sell like hotcakes, and several speculators will have had their names down for a while...
    Not a bad thought - 2 or 3 years of depreciation free Ferrari motoring!

16. blk911

blk911 Rookie

Apr 25, 2007
    Probably not but then again despite being beautiful, etc the world it seems does not want or need the 612, but Ferrari continues to make it.

17. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    For those that are concerned with Ferrari's image, don't worry. Even if they made an equal number of vehicles as Porsche (including SUV's), it would take at least 25 years for the name Ferrari to lose it's mystique and status-symbol classification.
    Now, for those of us that are concerned strictly with performance and driving characteristics, the more money Ferrari has the better. If they can double their yearly income, hopefully this would mean more R&D budget and subsequently better performance/reliability. This could all be a diabolical plan to make money, so future Ferraris are even faster. The legend of Ferrari as stated before in this thread is a business, and the first necessity of business is survival, the second being profit. I'm not saying the F149 will be faster than other models, but I am saying it could just be Ferrari making a smart business decision with the long-term in mind. Okay, done talking out my a55 now.

When is the first Hybrid Ferrari due in showrooms? J/K Damn tree-huggers, tho those electric cars are getting reaaalllly fast.

18. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    IMO this is a good move by Ferrari. As much as I love F cars, I want to have a hardtop convertible that I can enjoy with the top up or down. Sure it weights down the car but do I really care when I cruise around town at 50mph enjoying the scenary? The F149 won't hurt Ferrari's image one bit, just look at the 612 and Mondial - they are disasters IMO and the prancing horse is still the most desirable cars on the road today. If the design of the F149 has similar body line as the Maserati Gran Turismo, I would be very happy. Frankly I think the Maserati GT is more beautiful than many Ferrari models offered at the moment.

For those wondering what the new roof of the F149 will look like, take a look at the Volvo 70 - it was designed by Pininfarina as well.

[​IMG]

19. onlyreal

onlyreal Karting

Jun 2, 2007
    istanbul
    Full Name:
    oguz goker
    i said before time to look for bugatti s

20. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    ...and what about Enzo Ferrari wasn't always Machievellian ?

21. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    why ? ...because Lambo has stayed true to it's roots ? ; )

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Indeed. But then again there was a bit of Machievllli in Michaelangelo too.

23. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    If anyone likes Ferraris because they are "rare" (not really), he is liking them for the wrong reasons.

If anyone likes Ferraris because they are "exclusive", he is liking them for the wrong reasons.

If producing more cars per year will spoil Ferrari for someone, he is liking Ferrari for the wrong reasons.

If seeing another one on the road will spoil Ferrari for someone, he is liking Ferrari for the wrong reasons.

If someone likes Ferraris because of some kind of "mystique" (wtf?), he is liking them for the wrong reasons.

People talk about being "poseurs" and such; liking Ferrari for any of the above reasons makes you a "poseur."

A true car enthusiast likes cars for reasons such as: performance, technical innovation, design, engine, beauty, interior, handling, racing, the joy of driving it, etc.

Amazing how so many people are completely strung up on brand and image. :rolleyes:

24. davelor

davelor Karting

Aug 2, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    David Loretto
    I disagree, I think its all those factors you mentioned combined with the performance, tech. etc that make Ferrari what is it and continue to make it so desirable to car enthusiasts. It wouldnt be a Ferrari without the "mystique" or the "exclusiveness" because those things along with the tech. specs is what makes Ferrari special.

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari has just become a name brand that people want to be associated with. Thats it. Ferrari knows this, and markets their product like a fancy handbag or expensive wrist watch.

These are the people Ferrari want as customers it seems. The ones who will buy the new car to look good and will go into huge debt to do it. If leasing, and bank loans were like they were in the past, do you really think Ferrari would be able to produce the number of cars they are projected to in the future? I'll bet not. Any kid can now lease an expensive car over a 10 year term, and play the part of a shooter.

When I was a kid, if you saw any kind of exotic running down the highway you knew the guy had the money to buy it, because no bank would finance you on such a car. You had to have the money in the bank. Now, the most common question is not "how much" but "what are your lease payments per month?" Ferrari will "sell" them all. How? It doesn't care. It gets its money before the car leaves the show room floor.

Ferrari is taking full advantage of the current lease everything market. They know it, and if they can capitalize on it..well who are we to contest it. All it means for us is cheaper Ferrari's to buy from the auctions because they have been repossessed.

If Ferrari wanted to really maintain the image of a special car builder, then they need to stop everything they are doing altogether and let people fight over the current production runs of the cars. Go back to servicing those who can truly afford the entrance fee to the party and make it the mysterious mythical car they once were.