Ferrari crash in Japan | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari crash in Japan

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dincenzo, Dec 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I got "The Talk" from my favorite uncle (Dino owner) years ago, when I entered into Ferrari ownership....

The public opinion backlash is formidable upon mistakes.

I live by that.......

2. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    Even when crumpled the 355 is still a damn good looking car :)

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I would have loved to have been able to listen into the conversations between those involved and their insurance agents lol!!

4. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    #54 wfo900, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
    Different motorsport -same idea

5. stangjew

stangjew Karting

Feb 5, 2011
    Arlington TX
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Yea I know the Toyota Prius will be missed....

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Actually, the Prius appears undamaged in one of the photos, and the Scuderia seems to be in good shape as well.

It seems that Ferraris almost always get repaired unless fire is involved, and that does not seem to be the case here, so I suspect that all of these cars will eventually be back on the road.

7. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    on the + side, none of them burst into flames...

8. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    The Prius was there as a Ferrari support vehicle to transport those involved in the crash to their nearest dealership.HaHA.

9. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    It's so funny to think there was a Prius involved, but as they stated, it "was at the wrong place at the wrong time."

I'm afraid most of those cars are totaled though. That 355 in particular look torn to shreds. :(

Chris

10. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Most probably totalled. Here was a response from an insurance appraiser about exotics and how they handle them.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140998476&postcount=18

Whoops I meant to say most of the more expensive ones. Those 355's are way done. Easily 50k in damage and who knows how much in Japan

The Scud most likely is even close to being totalled.

11. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I suspect the term "narcissist" was lost in translation. What policeman anywhere would say that ffs! Something like "show-offs" was probably closer to the truth.

12. fredhart

fredhart Karting

Mar 22, 2006
    “Gathering of Narcissists” is ridiculous. Ferrari owners do not identify with Narcissus. We identify with Zeus.

13. hawaii1

hawaii1 Karting

Oct 29, 2005
    I think the media is grossly inaccurately hyping the news of so called 14 cars involved which includes 2 more Ferraris, 1 Lambo, 1 Skyline GTR and 3 Benzes. From all the photos and videos I have seen, there are only 6 Ferraris, 1 Prius, 1 Benz (old '89 SEL, not CL600 they claim) and another unknown car in front of SEL Benz wtih some police cars. There is no 2 additional Ferraris and a Lambo Diablo involved as they claimed, which I think they may have mistaken the black 360 as Diablo. If there were more missing cars involved, they would have shown all the others including 2 more Ferraris and a Diablo in the photos and videos, but none exists at all. The hyped damage should not be $3.5 million as media falsely claimed. To me it only looks like less than a million dollars worth of cars damaged.

14. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    When talking about damage costs. I was once involved in a crash with a newer California, when a somewhat large portion of the front was totaled, and some tanks in the engine bay cracked. Not massive, but the front was battered up. The parts alone (bumper, small stash like prancing horse etc., new coolingfluid/washertanks, radiator etc.) were 90.000NOK alone, and the entire damage came to 130.000NOK to be fixed. That translates to a total of ca. $22,635USD, ca. $15,677USD in parts alone. So this could easily become VERY expensive, considering the astronomical costs our relatively small shunt ended in. All was done at an genuine licensed Ferrari service center.

15. svldvc

svldvc Rookie

Sep 21, 2011
    #65 svldvc, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In all seriousness, we were glad to learn that nobody was seriously injured in the wreck. According to the Associated Press, a group of car enthusiasts were on their way to a driver's gathering in Hiroshima when one Ferrari swerved into the median barrier, likely pinballing into the other cars. Police said a total of 14 cars were caught in the wreck, including eight Ferraris, two Lambos, and a trio of Mercs. The AP report says total damage is likely over $4 million.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/05/japanese-pileup-claims-eight-ferraris-a-lamborghini-and-three-b/?ncid=webmail5

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtelRZCFWc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN0J0e6iZpg[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
  17. svldvc

svldvc Rookie

Sep 21, 2011
    sorry I was looking for this post but couldn't find it.
    Thanks for posting a link.
    Please close this thread :D

18. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    There are at least 3 threads on each sub-forum talking about this. How could you miss it???!!!

19. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
  20. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I wonder what the over/under is on how many times this gets posted on f-chat?

Whatever it is, I'll take the over...

21. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I like the Speedline Challenge wheels for the 348/355 on that white Testarossa. Never seen that combo before. Looks sharp!

Tall Girl is interesting too. :)

22. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
  23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    one thing we should all be happy to see, and remark on to anybody you speak to about this incident.....the cars were totalled, but every single one of the passenger/driver cells is intact, and all the people are relatively unscathed. that says a lot for a small run manufacturer imo. certainly makes me feel safer.