Ferrari crash in Japan | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari crash in Japan

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dincenzo, Dec 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Well...if they were as good as they seemed to believe, it wouldn't have happened and we wouldn't be talking about it. Ego/vanity/narcissism is often the basis for stupidity...combine that with "group think" and this sort of thing is inevitable.

2. olinde

olinde Karting

Mar 23, 2004
    No true - I'll be generous and peg it to 1975.

"And I also don't get the "margarine tub" comment either": buy a tub of margarine, empty out, turn upside down, draw some wheels with magic marker , and voila - a modern Ferrari!

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Something does not seem right!!
    The way Ferrari's handle and stop I can't believe that many competent drivers would end up in that situation.

Ago

4. Masher44

Masher44 F1 World Champ

Jan 15, 2008
    Some of us like to actually drive fast cars that handle the road and a track, aren't older than me and start every day

5. Infidel

Infidel Guest

Jan 19, 2011
    Southeast, USA
    It's called "stupidity" and it should never be underestimated.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The shape and curve of the motorway, between two railings certainly contributed to the "no where to go" situation of the following drivers.

It also tended to smash the cars the way it did, spinning and hitting both ends rather than a free spin farther off line into a tree or a pole, which would have tended to break the chassis and tanks leading to fire.

Kind of like a giant Ferrari pin ball game, I guess.

7. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I assume you've not been in many modern F cars to make such comments. As much as you may like older Ferrari's, technology and times move on and no manufacturer can stand still, much less live in the 1970's. History is full of car manufacturers who rested on their laurels and now are no more.

You must buy very aerodynamic margarine tubs made out of the latest composite materials - perhaps you should get into 'fusion' cooking with your margarine and start combining the old with the new!

8. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    #133 carguyjohn350, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Hkpooh

Hkpooh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2011
    i actually like the hello kitty edition hah

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    1975.. I was close. I love my 360 because it evokes the 246. More importantly, it has airbags, ABS brakes, and a build quality that means it starts when I turn the key, a feature I rather like.

Back to the rose colored memories... I think the touch tone phone killed it! Heck if you don't have to WORK to dial a persons number what's the point! Part of a cause of this obesity epidemic in this country. ;-)

11. eurospec

eurospec F1 Veteran

May 29, 2005
    Mt Isa. Australia
    Full Name:
    mohamad
    The same what i was thinking,weird.

12. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    the prius was a factory 2013 ''big block chevy'' aluminum ,can am powered ''all-wheel'' drive supercar and worth $4mill,the other cars are really 3d fakes,toyota doesen't want anybody to see prototype cars ,before they can get the new crude oil wells drilled ,and oil will be .05 per gal

13. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
    Minior correction: 300mio JPY is almost 3.8mio in USD. It's been almost 3yrs since we last saw $1 worth 100 JPY.

Moreover, I *believe* in the original Japanese telecast, they were commenting on the value when they were sold new. It's often time very subjective to put a used car value as it could be subject to scrutiny.

But then again, perhaps we're wasting too much time debating on the 'value' of this accident? I should shut up! :)

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes it's pretty rooted.

Pete

15. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    When I win the lottery I'm gonna build myself that car.

16. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Not a very clever metaphor. Actually, it's nonsensical!

17. TexasKid

TexasKid Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 13, 2011
    $3.8million in Ferrari's destroyed in Japan and not ONE person got it on camera? Something is up.

Discuss.

18. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    3,8 Million is complete nonsense - its MUCH less.

anyway - i think that matter is already discussed and no further thread needed.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #144 BigTex, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    Legal as well as insurance issues would lead me to keep any such media, IF it might happen to exist, VERY 'close to the vest".....

I am sure among the six or eight drivers, they full well know 'how it went down" but for many reasons, might not want that knowledge "out there"...

Insurance coverage has tons of stipulations and would not pay out if any criminal and/or negligent behavior was indicated.

The valuations of the cars include applicable import and taxation fees and I understand "over there" they can almost double the cost of the car 'on the ground"..

I do think it's odd there isn't a specific thread in our geographic Section talking about it, but I guess if you are worried about a three unit nuke smoking up off the pad, and thousands homeless from the tsunami, wrecking a few cars over the weekend is "no big thing"....

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    there were tons of pictures and videos. they had news helicopters all over it. I saw dozens of pics from ground too.

21. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Of the crash? That's what he's talking about..

22. TexasKid

TexasKid Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm referring to DURING the crash...surely one of them had a GoPro cam!

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so what's the BS part? It didn't happen or they did it on purpose? If I'm in a group crash like that don't think I would volunteer the camera unless they asked for it or I needed to prove my innocence.

24. TexasKid

TexasKid Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 13, 2011
    Exactly my point. lol

25. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The authorities probably had them hand them over if there were any as evidence.