Ferrari (CTEK) Battery Charger terminal | FerrariChat

Ferrari (CTEK) Battery Charger terminal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by miketuason, Apr 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  2. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sent PM to Warren Kumari, hope he’ll reply.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Best to simply make (or have Warren make) an adapter that converts the Ferrari proprietary adapter to a standard two conductor connector, as used by every other battery tender manufacturer. That two conductor connector is available or can be adapted to work with battery ring mounts, a cigarette lighter adapter, etc., giving you a lot of versatility. I went in the opposite direction and made an adapter so I adapted to generic two pole connector to work on the Ferrari, cause I have the same Ferrari charger and it never worked correctly for me. I can now use any number of more reliable battery tenders I own.

Attached Files:

5. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    The side (female/receptacle) which you have pictured is Souriau MBG4R1 - http://usa.esterline-connection-technologies.com/en-en/system/files/productrange/downloads/mbg_series_datasheet_0.pdf

This can be purchased from Mouser at https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Souriau/MBG4R1?qs=Etm3IBkwPmA2Sv4Ldn4cSw%3D%3D
    They use the Souriau "Trim-Trio" contacts, and the receptacle uses the *male* pins -- SM16ML1S31

Here is one pictured on my test harness:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have way more info on a page I made a while back - https://www.kumari.net/index.php/projects/random-projects/93-making-a-ctek-to-ferrari-battery-tender-adaptor-cable

Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider likes this.
  6. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Warren! Yes looks like the MBG4R1 is what I need. Does the pins come separate?

f355spider likes this.
  7. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yup, you have to order the pins and solder, crimp and assemble yourself.

8. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Yup, the pins are separate -- I had some spare male pins, and so dropped them in the mail to Mike this morning.

Note that the engraved image on my test jig is looking into the rear of the socket - for this project, I'd recommend Mike stick a meter on the charger to confirm the polarity before inserting the pins into the receptacle. Once they are fully clipped in, they are basically permanent - I've tried using various pin extractors in the past, but now I just quietly curse, cut off the connector and start from scratch if make a mistake - for example, forgetting to slide on the heatshrink or strain relief boot before the plug :))

f355spider likes this.
  9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I would advise dumping that thing and going with an noco genius unit. I use the 7200 (have 6 of them), and it is the only unit I have ever used that truly works, it charges and maintains unlike many other products on the market that will not. I have a thing for maintaining batteries, I keep spares for most car, have 3 portable jumpers (including one that can jump a semi), and well as one of those big heavy battery chargers on wheels, though it properly use that unit I must remove the battery from the car. Whenever possible I only install odyssey batteries.

BoxerCrazy likes this.
  10. mstBfast

mstBfast Rookie

Jul 5, 2022
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Dennis Grady
    I just purchased a Juice My Ride charger with 4 pin adaptor. It throws a E1 fault (short) when I plug into the wall but the clamps are fine so its in the pigtail. They are giving me a hard time about replacing it even though its never been used and brand new. Has to be a loose wire and there are only two. Anyone know the wire placement on the female side? Adaptor looks threaded and if I unscrew I will not know which hole to use.

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sorry to hear, that is terrible customer service. You'd think they would simply send you another adapter. Obviously would never happen with wkumari, since he built the tester jig pictured above to confirm continuity and polarity.