Ferrari Daytona 365 GTB | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Daytona 365 GTB

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by lotustt, Mar 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    14819: See Gooding Auction Catalogue, Scottsdale/AZ, 22 January 2010.

Marcel Massini

2. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Thanks guys! He is looking at some pics of a 1971 Daytona gtb4. It has what appears to be aluminum as the headlight covers and across the front of the nose?? Hard to tell by the pics he sent but it looks that way. Did they all come this way aside from the Euro clear?

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Can someone recommend a book??? :D :D :D

No, I think there's at least three nose treatments, the Euro (first ) plexi lenses, not legal for US, the Aluminum trim, and then finally, the "plain" treatment for US Cars with flip up lights.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #29 BigTex, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    The aluminum trim you refer to is silver paint acoss the area on popup cars where the plexi cover used to be. This is a early popup car trait. The latest original car I have seen with this treatment is 14159, although here are earlier popup cars with body color in that area.

I dont know if this is a Bill Harrahs preference (like wire wheels) but a disproportionate # of silver nose cars seem to have come through MCM.

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    John the silver paint on the nose and it's period of use is an interesting topic. You mention 14159 as the latest seen with the silver painted nose. I would mention the spider 14383 as an example with the silver nose treatment. This topic came up before and I recall a 14,7XX? car with the paint. I've posted a picture before of a coupe in the low 14,900 serial range also with the nose painted silver.
    Part of the problem with restored cars is the silver paint is left off; sometimes at the preference of the new owner.

Maybe Bill Harrah got a good allocation of Daytona models before the change to a body color nose treatment. The looming oil shortage back then didn't encourage later V12 sales...
    CH

7. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    I should have said that that was the latest that I had seen.

With the usual Ferrari consistency, there appears to be silver and body color nose treatments throughout a range of s/n's.

As you point out, repaints have clouded the picture, and I know of at least one car that added the silver nose treatment as part of a repaint.

I always thought that the silver treatment looked good.

Off topic, but on some cars contrasting colors appeared in the blood gooves around this time (including the prototype Spyder 12851 and my 14729) and in the gooves below the deck lid.

I doubt that anyone added those later as they diden't look so hot.

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #33 of2worlds, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    The white Daytona spider (ex. Harrah?) had the blood trough painted in red. There was an owner from Lebanon originally; who had a Fly Yellow spider with the blood trough painted black back in the late 70's. Last Daytona spider also had the blood trough paint work; perhaps to compliment the earliest Fly Yellow spider. The contrast paint color combination does stand out in a crowd!
    CH

9. chuck246cp@aol.com

Aug 12, 2010
    raleigh n c
    Full Name:
    chuck Grantham
    Hello
    Is the fly yellow some daytonas came with the same fly yellow used onlater
    models such as 355's or 360's or was it a fly yellow specific to daytonas?

Thanks
    Chuck