Ferrari dealer will not touch a car with salvage history wth | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari dealer will not touch a car with salvage history wth

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Carl wilson, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    So with that said - let's theorize that you get in a fender bender in your California and need a LH fender (P/N 80965111). What's preventing you from ordering it from Ricambi and getting it painted and installed at your buddy's house? How would Ferrari know about that repair?

Obviously, this would be a repair well under the financial threshold that would total a car or create a salvage/rebuilt issue - so possibly irrelevant in this specific case.

Used parts are also par for the course, especially with older cars... Ferrari wouldn't know about those repairs either.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's plenty of good independents that can tackle the OBD2 systems without having Maranello looking over the shoulder.

You have one volunteering from Dallas.
    I know of one in Louisiana that might take it on.
    Rifledriver is in Austin

Sounds like you may have some unresolved issues.
    The Parts Stores here are often helpful in chasing the intermittent CEL, you do have to know where to chase the issue. But clearing it to see if it comes back is kind of chasing your tail around.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The car had been damaged in LF

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Lets not theorize. Through the Ferrari parts chain many collision repair parts are only available to authorized Ferrari body repair centers.

Easy to understand, no?

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It isn't the OBD2 system. That isn't the topic at hand.

And no, I can't do it. I have no desire or need to undergo the cost of being able to do so.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ah roger, thanks for explanation!

7. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    This is true. Major parts can only be had by facilities that are approved to make the proper repair in the eyes of Ferrari. Fenders, bumpers, hoods, etc are not the issue, but if it is structural then independents won't get the parts. I have seen car put back together that were totaled and didn't have Ferrari parts, some were well done, other scared the crap out of me to just move it around the shop.

This part is just my $.02. As big as Ferrari is and as deep as there pockets are, I can see where they don't want anything to do with a car that was totaled. If they refuse, they can not be help responsible for anything that happens later. Regardless of the degree of damage or level of totality is not something they want to get into. If it is a salvage title, they refuse and move on. Agree or not, but I do see there point.
    I was very close to a case with a salvage rebuild that had a complete failure, car burned, no death or injury but the law suite was filed. As it turned out, the independent that was working on the car was forced out of business due to having to fight it. Had that been a dealership/Ferrari it would be a long expensive drawn out affair, dealerships/Ferrari can't just fold up and move on.

BOKE and SAFE4NOW like this.
  8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    The Dealership the OP reached out to does not want to take in the car, that does not make for a blanket statement that all Dealerships do not or would not.
    I am sure that it is considered on a case by case basis, some are open to it, others are not. Similar to how some Audi dealerships refuse to work on modified cars.
    One does not equal all. ( IMO )

It doesn't. < wink >

The title condition has zero effect on how we look to FNA or to the factory. And again, " Dealers " we are only talking about one unnamed dealer in this thread. ;-)

You are correct about one point here, in that we do not want ANY car sitting around not being actively worked on.
    Ferrari does track point like these:
    1. How long from the time the work order is created till it is scanned in , in the shop, to be first worked on
    2. How long it takes to diagnose
    3. How long it takes for parts to arrive
    4. How long it takes to perform the repair
    5. How long it takes to submit the repair claim ( if warranty )
    6. How long it takes for the client to pick up once the work is completed
    and so on...

Some Ferrari Dealers WILL work on them, this is how dis-information gets triggered ... < wink > But you are correct, it would make things quite difficult.

I have worked with numerous Dealerships in the past 30+ years, I can not personally remember ever turning away a vehicle because it had a bad carfax, accident history, or salvage title. Are there disclaimers to sign, YES.... but the same goes for modified cars. We are here to help, we will offer solutions.

Its when a previously totaled car comes in and wants warranty work performed on an airbag module due to the malfunction light being on ( You know, when the airbag deployed ... yeah, that's not warranty - LOL )

Carfax - only reliable to the buyer who wants it to be. ( IMO )

How do we or Ferrari know? Here are a few of the easiest methods and yes there are team members who are responsible for tracking...

1. https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResults/?free=true&query=Ferrari
    2. 1st hand knowledge - We are supposed to report when we are aware of an accident that has occurred.
    3. When certain parts are purchased , they require an accident form to be completed ( which we list who is performing a repair and what happened )
    4. Forums
    5. Word of mouth
    etc.

Funny you bring this up, as I have personal knowledge of this happening. All in an attempt to fly under the radar. THEN , the next buyer gets upset because the seller was unaware. Unaware that an owner hit a repair by going outside the network.... LOL , I will jump back off that soap box. In the end it does stay off the radar until it isn't..

BTW, I'm not an independent... < wink >

Sometimes clearing a code is all that's needed, a code that is/was stored because the car was cycled on while a connection was loose for instance.
    Other times, its an indicator of additional work that needs to be performed that the repairer was unaware of.

Checking for codes is a good place to start and I am always happy to help Ferrari Club or Ferrari Chat members , even if we are not performing the actual repair.
    ( Yes, we charge for this service , we invested in the equipment after all, and yes we will document our findings as required. )

Just trying to be accurate, not intending on multi-quoting your posts, its just that you keep making statements that are untrue and I want to minimize the mis-information that may be gleaned from your opinions.

One un-named Ferrari Dealership refused to take the OP car in for assumed reasons
    Another un-named Ferrari Dealership has offered to pull codes and offer answers to the OP
    The remaining 42+ US Ferrari Dealerships , I assume on a case by case basis, will make their own decision based upon the situation at hand.

;-)

Hope my opinions help,

Steve

9. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Thanks for all the info Steve !!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  10. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

+1 to killer's comments!

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    The rationale is that you don't deal in salvage units period

12. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Thank you Steve, I will bow out of this one as it is clear I am completely misinformed.

13. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

According to Steve's comments, a number of folks in this thread were misinformed. It's good to know that "some" dealers will still help an owner out if he has a salvage title. That's the kind of dealer attitude we need, not the arrogance that is shown by some, and reflected in certain owners.....

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  16. Carl wilson

Carl wilson Rookie

Jan 11, 2020
    All I wanted was to see if the hard top had code that could be reset. Can’t get trunk latch to release so top will go up and down. Right now I have to manually unlock trunk so too will continue to open or close here is a pic of car I bought with salvage title that only had so called under carriage damage that was just one wheel and a bent rear hub assembly Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app