Ferrari Enzo #399 of #399 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Enzo #399 of #399

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by SupercarGuru, Feb 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
  2. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Just got some original documentation from Ferrari. It states that the car was delivered/built May 2005. I will post later tonight.

Does anyone know if any other Ferrari Enzo's were delivered or build in 2005?

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Well, there was the Pope's Enzo of course, but that's a no-brainer since it's 400/399. But there are a few Enzos built before yours that were built in 2005; Brandon Wang's Grigio Alloy Enzo is one.

elmadi likes this.
  4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I think it would be far more accurate to say:

"Ferrari has a typically Italian way of doing business!" ;)

5. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #55 SupercarGuru, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    elmadi likes this.
  6. Georgescott

Georgescott Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    Nice, it's towards the end... I contacted Ferrari believing that I too might have one of the last cars built and they were of no assistance. Funny that, with such rare cars and on my database and 'mygarage' through ferrari.com with the list of Ferraris on there they still aren't of any assistant. It's just annoying

7. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Wow this is cool.

8. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #58 SupercarGuru, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    It has been around 60-70 days so far for the EPA/DOT conversion. Almost all is going as planned.

Received additional confirmation from Ferrari Classiche e Corse Clienti about the car being #399 production car.

Have some interesting offers from a few collectors. Very tempting. Haha.

The conversion is very expensive. All new parts from Ferrari are over $50,000 alone. This includes seat belts, catalysts $40,000+, rear taillights, and ECUs. I expect the final conversion price to be around $110,000. This does not include bonds, VAT or shipping which was close to another $60,000.

Hopeful to have the car here in Miami in the next 20-30 days!

BOTTOM LINE. Total to convert a euro spec to a true "world" car... $160,000.00 +

elmadi likes this.
  9. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Awesome info John, thanks for sharing!

10. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow, crazy to think the differences between a Euro and US spec could amount to that much. Thanks for sharing all of this info, great thread :)

elmadi likes this.
  11. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    For that money youre better off using connections to register the car illegally as a different Ferrari model. Smilar to what the guy did with the stolen f50 from algar

12. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    But when the time comes to sell it I think a lot of potential Enzo buyers would be concerned about the car being registered as something it's not and the cars history and paperwork being questionable. The car will probably continue to appreciate over the next few years so the cost to make it US legal will probably be covered in that sense.

13. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    But would some consider the car now "modified" since it is not exactly the same as it left the factory? The car left the factory as a Euro spec and has been converted to US spec. I would think this would affect potential future value, no?

elmadi and sixcarbs like this.
  14. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    you're totally right.

sixcarbs likes this.
  15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Fascinating story altogether - are you able to post any of the documentation confirming it as #399 ?

16. Thomas Quintin

Thomas Quintin Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Paris France
    Full Name:
    Thomas QUINTIN
    I still can't understand what means #399 when they have produced +490. Even if we could consider that Ferrari wanted it to be the last "production" car, it's clearly not #399 as they produce much more than 399. And moreover they finally have continued to produce some after. I have seen recently a very late produced enzo (ass# 591xx)

17. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    It means that of the "production run" that Ferrari said they were only going to make 399 of, that is the last one.

Now with regards to the other cars produced, those are not part of that "production run". Those are separate cars.

Now if some people understood "production run of 399 cars" to mean that only 399 cars would ever exist, well that's their problem. :D LOL

18. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    It is modified but I believe as long as it has all the correct documentation and that all the work required to make it US legal was done to the highest standard (which it should be for that price) then this Enzo will lose little - if any - of its value. Considering the general value of the Enzos, their rarity, plus other desirable factors such as color, mileage, historical significance, etc. I wouldn't be too worried if I was the owner.

19. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Enzo's were built as "world" cars. Bumpers, side marker lenses all the same... So they could be easily conformed to any country. There is nothing "modified," only replacing the following factory parts with new Ferrari factory parts under warranty;

-Exhaust

-Seatbelts

-Taillights

-ECU

Far from being modified.

This is not like the modifications of grey market cars in the 1980s. I doubt the value of 288 GTOs that were modified to come into the USA are affected.

elmadi likes this.
  20. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    All of the Enzo's produced after #399 were post-production cars.

The Ferrari Enzo was produced in limited production of #399. This car was promised to Pietro as being the LAST production car and car #399.

Ferrari decided to produce a few post-production cars after #399 and a few non production cars i.e. FXX and the Pope Enzo.

21. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Many simply refuse to understand that it is at any car factory's discretion to produce some POST-PRODUCTION cars, beyond the stated production number, for innumerable reasons, whether the public approves or not!

What part of that concept is so hard to grasp? It is what it is...

Meanwhile, IMHO, the car's value has increased, because now it can also be registered, used, and sold in the USA, in addition to many other markets. The fact that it is also 399 of 399 will be special to some people.

22. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    I'm sorry but that's BS. If an artist released a limited number of prints of a certain painting, let's say 50, and then after #50 of 50 is produced he releases 20 more, would this be acceptable? Would you say that it was the "artist's discretion" to produce some post-production prints?

People can spin this any way they want, but the fact that Ferrari says they will only produce X number of cars, and then in reality build X + Y number of cars is tantamount to fraud. No where else in real life can you get away with claiming to build a limited quantity of an item and then turn around and build AND SELL more than the limited number. All while still claiming to only have built the original limited number I might add!

It's not a hard concept to grasp. It's called being deceitful.

sixcarbs likes this.
  23. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Your points are valid... I will share that I have 301/300 and 302/300 of a very high-profile, commissioned art project... 302 is labeled as such and the other isn't. Knowing the artist I'm aware that 50 extras were made. All are valuable, some would even say that 301+ are more rare. In this case and with the ENZO, I would argue the value is still based on what, and not the production numbers.

The heritage (Ferrari) + limited market (every unit ever made) + barrier to entry (purchase price) ensures the premium value of these cars.

24. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Having extra cars made doesn't affect the value now, but what happens 50 years from now when an Enzo comes up for auction and it shares the same serial # as 2 other Enzos in the archives? Or when they try to track down what # of 399 your car is and they find that it's # 432? Will the car be dismissed as not a "true" Enzo? Will it be treated the way the continuation Shelby Cobras are viewed today? I don't know about other people, but if I spend my money buying something that's a "limited" edition, I want to know that it truly is limited to a specific quantity, not that the factory only built as many as they could sell.

25. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    5 F50's share the same serial number and hasn't negatively affected their value. For all we know it could add to their value in future. It's still a "true F50" at the end of the day.