FERRARI F1 Drivers Beyond 2009 | FerrariChat

FERRARI F1 Drivers Beyond 2009

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Jan 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    (from autosport.com by Jonathan Noble)

Ferrari are happy to wait before they begin new contract talks with Kimi Raikkonen, as they instead prefer the Finn to concentrate for now on landing his second world title in 2008.

Raikkonen has a deal with Ferrari until the end of 2009 and, although the team admit to thinking about extending the contract beyond then, they have made it clear they are in no rush to begin talks.

Team principal Stefano Domenicali said at the Wrooom media event in Italy on Wednesday: "We have a contract for 2008 and 2009, and we are fully happy with how Kimi is driving and especially how he entered into the team.

"Nothing prevents us from also looking into the future and seeing Kimi as a driver who will go beyond his first formal contract, but we will tackle this at the right time. For now, Kimi must be focused on this year."

Although Ferrari found themselves at the centre of speculation linking them with Fernando Alonso last year, Domenicali has said that for now the team are not looking beyond current drivers Raikkonen and Felipe Massa for the future.

"Alonso and Ferrari?" he said. "Many speculations were made on the issue, but we have two good drivers and they are our official drivers.

"We have maximum trust in them and we are convinced they are the right drivers for our team. They have a way of relating between each other and with the team which is very professional and they are very fast.

"This (Alonso) is an issue which, for the time being, we are not going to consider. We will see what happens in the future."

Domenicali also confirmed that Raikkonen's status as world champion would not mean he would start the season as the team's number one driver.

"We have our drivers who start (the new season) on an equal basis," he said. "They are going to play it out with their own chances of victory, and there are no changes from this point of view. They are both on an equal basis."

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Go Kimi & Massa!

3. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    IMO, Kimi has nothing to worry about, unless he decides to retired after 2009. It is Massa that has to prove he belongs with Ferrari by showing that he can race go wheel to wheel against the likes of Kimi & Alonso and be a consistant top finisher. Massa can win races when he is out front running away from others, but he has yet to shown that he can pass and to not crack when under attack from other top tier drivers.

4. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    My guess is that one of the young guns like Vettel will follow Massa or Kimi, whoever leaves first. Kimi won't become old in F1, I see him retiring after maybe 2 more WDCs (which we will of course see in 2008 and 2009 :D)

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I do remember Massa successfully passing in a wheel to wheel duel in the rain in one of that last races. I think it was with one of the BMW's. So he is capable when the car is on par with the competition. But then, how many real passes did you see all season? I do not recall Alonso passing on the track, but I do remember Sato passing Alonso.

6. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Massa passed Kubica at the Nurburgring if I remember correctly. Massa was passed by Alonso on track at least once. I don't think Massa is bad, just no better than some others would be in that role. I'd actually like to see Kimi and Button together, but that's just my opinion.

7. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Massa is great as long as he is in a great car. The same thing goes for Rubins. I would love to see Jensen Button in a Ferrari.

8. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    a precise quote...PRICELESS

thanks for that...slashing Massa for loosing the lead to Alonso on the wet is just ridiculous...or slipping through the monsoon while having midwets...

9. Necx0

Necx0 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    WHAT!!!!! How about Alonso passing Massa in the rain at the 'Ring. Alonso passing Heidfeld through the esses at Magny Cours, best pass of the season (on par with Sato on Alonso).

Fully agree about Massa. Great "number 2" driver. As such I think he and Kimi are a great combo. Massa is perfectly capable of winning the race in dry conditions from pole position with a good car. Maybe he will continue to improve this year. He was impressive in the wet in quali in China I believe it was.

Why is it ridiculous to criticise Massa for losing the lead to Alonso at the 'Ring? As soon as the rain came down Alonso was taking almost a second a sector (!) out of Massa.

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Didn't Alonso lose it in the rain and wipe out his car? I do not recall Massa doing that at all this year.

11. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    IMO, a top tier driver is someone like Kimi, Alonso and maybe Hamilton, with them driving in an equal or better car. The 2007 BMW-Sauber had shown some promise but it is hardly in the same league as the F2007 or the MP4-22. And I also do not think Heidfield or Kubica can be ranked in the same group as a top tier driver in 2007.

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Imagine Heidfeld in a Ferrari. I think he would be impressive. He did wonders with the second class BMW. And I do put Massa in that top 5 group. He has been trained by the very best.

13. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    If I may, just out of curiousity, how do you rank the following 4 drivers: KR, FA, LH and FM ? Also, which of the 4 drivers named will you pick to be your one driver in a winner takes all situation?

I rank them in the following order: KR = FA > LH > FM. And I would pick Kimi over the other 3 drivers at this moment simply because I think he is less likely to get rattled by influences outside of the car than any of the other 3, with Alonso being a very close 2nd.

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I agree with your reasoning about Kimi. I do not understand what you mean by a winner takes all?

KR
    FA
    FM
    LH
    NH/HK
    JB*

*He used to be very good. I have no idea what being with Honda has done to him.

I am not yet convinced of Hamilton's ability. He is excellent, but not another Schumacher or Senna. Not yet anyway. He was in the #1 car. I am curious to see him without TC and in a revised chassis.

15. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I think time has passed Heidfeld by and I honestly don't think he will do any better a Ferrari or at McLaren. He can still compete and may even win some races, but not to challenge for the title.

Massa did show a lot of improvement since becoming Schumacher's teammate, but IMO, there is just something seems to be missing in Massa. I think he still has room to grow, but I just don't see him being in the same group as Kimi, Alonso or even with Hamilton.

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I think Nick is still at his prime. Putting the BMW where he put it was a challenge. So I do belive in a Ferrari or McLaren he would excel. Massa is still growing, that's what I like about him. Since Schumacher has taken such an interest in him, Massa has shown the most improvement of any driver from 2006 to 2007. I am looking forward to watching him in 2008. I think he know that is the year he has to perform and show what he's got. I definetely put Massa in the same top four with the drivers you mentioned.

17. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I am sorry that I was not being clear enough with my question, but I think I know what your answer will be now. What I am try to ask you is, if it comes down to only one single race as it did in Brazil this year, who do you want as your driver ?

I really believe that for a driver to become a future WC, he/she needs to have a certain degree of success early in their career (~ 3 years) and maybe even winning a race or two. Which was something that both JB and NH lacked, for one reason or another. It helps to build that all important confidence. I think Hamilton was extremly lucky to be in a McLaren in 2007, but that can work both ways. He showed a lot of poise as a rookie, even with Alonso, a 2xWC as his teammate, he still wasn't fazed and was able to keep up with him. IMO, he does have a lot of potential, but like you, I also feel that he still has more to prove before he can really be ranked up there with Kimi & Alonso.

18. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    For shear determination, if not Michael Schumacher, I would pick Massa, no doubt. His own team was his downfall in 2007. I do not think Kimi cares enough. I still do not have confidence, yet, in Hamilton, and Alonso is way to emotional for me.

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I feel confident that Vettel is headed towards Ferrari.
    Weather he will replace KR if he rests on his laurels, or Massa, depends on which of them goes first.
    I cannot see Kimi retiring soon.
    MS likes Vettel and Ferrari needs a young Lion that someone else broke in.
    My vote would have been Nico but I think that boat has left the harbour.

20. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze

how old is Vettel now? 21? 20? 22? i suppose he;ll be in Ferrari in 5 yrs time..

21. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have a sneaky feeling LH will blitz the field with no TC, let's face it they will all feel like rookies for a few races, thats as along as the ECU doesn't make up to much for the loss of traction.

22. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian

I think you're right Steve. Apart from him being, IMO, one of the very best drivers in F1 with a load of natural ability, he's only been driving with traction control for one season. Many of the others have been in F1 for some years and have become used to, maybe even dependent on, traction control. Those drivers may well find the change more difficult to cope with than those, like LH, who have much more recent experience of racing cars with no traction control.

23. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    don't forget Kimi ;)

24. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not forgot Brian, The Flying Finnish iceman will pick his moment and step up when it count's..;)

Or he may run away with it..we shall see soon.

25. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    :D

yes, very true.

but i hope both Scuderia drivers will deliver, and be consistent. i'm not bothered which one, as long as one of them bring the WDC to Maranello.