355 - Ferrari F355 Challenge Steering rack | FerrariChat

355 Ferrari F355 Challenge Steering rack

Discussion in '348/355' started by SOstergaard, Sep 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SOstergaard

SOstergaard Rookie

Apr 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Soren Ostergaard
    Hello.
    I have recently aquired a F355 - garage queen - and started bringing it to life :) -with all the pleasures of a non used car ... The steering column is leaking - and I thought I wanted to change it to the Challenge part no. 176036 - Do any of you know how to find one - the usual sources Eurospares and Scuderia parts - do not seem to be able help?
    Kind Regards SorenO

2. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    Unobtanium these days. Speaking of which, what are people’s thoughts on removing the power steering and going to a 348 manual rack?

[email protected] and ShineKen like this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Seen a few threads on this out here historically so it has been done, I recall it was liked generally.

OCKlasse likes this.
  4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It was an option on '95 355's but almost nobody ordered it - same p/n as the 348. You'd probably want to align it with less caster to reduce steering effort. Personally I have no desire to have manual steering in a street car, and I find when actually pushing the 355 the steering weights up nicely, so I don't see the point. I'd send the factory rack out for rebuild unless you can find a challenge/fiorano rack.

f355spider, OCKlasse and 308 GTB like this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I’m currently on the hunt for one. They are unavailable new. You can only source them used. I actually found a few, but they are pricey and it’s hard to tell if it needs rebuilding until you take it apart. Then finding the right people to rebuild them is another story. Only TRW in Europe or ZF (USA) can rebuild them properly.

Installing a steering rack is a big job. The last thing you want to do install something that might not be working 99%. Especially, something as important as steering.

Very early 95 cars in Europe came with a manual steering rack. I’m not sure if that’s the same one used in a 348 or not, but that item is also unobtanium new.

OCKlasse likes this.
  6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Since these were only offered on FHP equipped cars and challenge cars, they would only be removed for 2 reasons: It was leaking/had issues or it came off a crashed car indicating possible structural damage.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I survived a few of these rack removal jobs. I even rebuilt a 355 rack once. This is a job where I save only for my best of friends. Extremely difficult to do.

Nur964 and Yassa like this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My new best friend :)

OCKlasse likes this.
  9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I wonder if TRW can convert a standard rack into a Fiorano quick steering rack.

10. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Im also on the hunt for one lol

ShineKen likes this.
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    FerrariIcona likes this.
  12. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    On a side note, the Fiorano steering rack must also be paired with the Fiorano pump to get the full effect.

Yassa, OCKlasse and Qavion like this.
  14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is an interesting watch. It's about 50% similar to the 355 power rack. Knowing what I know now, I would not convert a 355 rack to manual for a street car.

To the OP, if the top of the center column is leaking (you can see this from inside the car), you probably can replace that seal without removing the rack. Plugzit did. If it is leaking at the bottom, then you would have to remove it from the car to reseal the whole thing.

I suggest you just replace the seals with the kit for a Volvo TRW rack, and put it back. I just sold my extra rack for $500 a few months ago. Good luck. The hardest thing anyone can do on a 355 is to replace the PS rack, the only thing that beats that is to remove said rack from a Mondial T.

17. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken

I was going to mention this when somebody suggested a 348 manual rack. I would think it would have the opposite effect.
    I love the steering feel of the 355, but the turns to lock is excessive. Tightening it up would be amazing.
    You know how a lot of these 355 parts are shared from other manufacturers? I wonder if the steering rack has interchangeable gears that could be done at a steering rack shop?

ShineKen and OCKlasse like this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My understanding is the majority of what makes a rack a quick steering rack is spec changes in the pinion and rack. Since TRW built the Fiorano rack, they should have that pinion and rack available.

Now I’m wondering if those parts can be ordered as part of a rebuild kit or if they offer a rebuild service, it can simply be built to Fiorano specs. Or someone can get a hold of an original rack, open it up and have said parts duplicated by a quality manufacturer.

OCKlasse likes this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    348 and 355 mechanical steering racks have different part numbers.

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  21. SOstergaard

SOstergaard Rookie

Apr 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Soren Ostergaard
    Hi,

Correct market for Challenge racks is dead - as in none available - will try to contact TRW - and post their reply :)

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What country are you in?

23. SOstergaard

SOstergaard Rookie

Apr 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Soren Ostergaard
    Hi in Denmark - Europe - and TRW aka ZF ENgineering - replied it was not available :-(