Ferrari f430 or Corvette ZR1 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari f430 or Corvette ZR1

Discussion in '360/430' started by howydo, Mar 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Comprador

Comprador Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I thought that was a new George Forman grill under the plastic...

2. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    #27 howydo, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    I guess my genes must be alright smart ass because I already own both! Perhaps you should learn how to read. I simply posted the thread because I thought the responses would be interesting. Yes, I also posted this thread in the Corvette forum.
    I have also driven both extensively both on and off the track.

3. laswyguy

laswyguy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    how about new ZR1 or used 360 f1?

4. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    You buy a Ferrari for the passion, you buy a Corvette for the muscle and power.

Obviously I'd go for the Ferrari. That's why I'm on "FerrariChat" :D

5. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Obviously, your wrong. If you read my post you would have learned that I currently own both cars. I know the Corvette handles better. It generates more lateral G's on the skid pad, gets through the slalom faster and has a faster lap time on the ring. I have driven both cars on the road and track.

Now, with that said I'm not saying I like the Corvette better. The F430 is still an amazing car and offers many things the Corvette doesn't. I love Ferraris and always will but you have to give some credit to GM on the ZR1, they did an incredible job with the car especially for the price.

6. Swiss Frank

Swiss Frank Karting

May 6, 2008
    Hong Kong
    No you don't. You see the exact same thing as the Chevy: an intake plenum. It sits on at least like 20cm of velocity stacks. The actual engine is so far down in my spider that I've never actually seen it I don't think, even though I've popped the bonnet a couple times.

This is in contrast to my old Supra: you can't help but see the engine and its easy to touch.

I do agree that the intake plenum on the Ferrari is a class act, but a glass window to look at it on the Spider is as stupid as the one on the Chevy. Put it this way: if I had a ZR1 I'd try to get a Z06 bonnet for it. (As well as scrapping the interior. As well as looking for any bodykit that is more understated than stock!)

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Secret ballot on our OP owning both or either car. Poseur. Kind of obvious.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Karting

Mar 3, 2009
    back in Jersey
    I can't believe ZR1s are going for $30K+ MSRP in this marketplace!

9. SeaGate

SeaGate Karting

Mar 21, 2007
    PNW
    Full Name:
    PEMA
    The ZR1 could do 0-60 in 1.4sec, pull 4g on the pad, be made of gold and it still wouldn't turn my head. I think it is great GM made something that performs well, but it is still GM. IMO, they should only build trucks and SUVs, and they're not that good at that either. I know people who love Corvettes and wouldn't consider anything else, they just don't get to me like Ferraris do.

10. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #35 jjsaustin, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
    ummm.... I read your post and it does not state the you own both, it is postioned as a hypothetical question.

So YOU stand corrected, I can read... I accept your apology....Perhaps you can't write!

My answer still stands... *you* should stick with the vette

11. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #36 jjsaustin, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
    Oh yea, YOU may want to learn how read as well learning to write. My answer is below and makes no reference as to whether you own them or not. Just a simple request to keep to keep you out of the gene pool. My guess is your arithmetic would be called into question as well.

Reading, writing, and arithmetic... That was learned in school, No?

"Anyone that asks a silly question like that belongs in a corvette so we keep you out of the Ferrari gene pool "

12. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Your response would be valid except for two things. First, I also posted this thread on corvette forum and second the question was asked to create some controversy and see what both forums thought of the other car. The corvette ZR1 was produced specifically to compete with ultra high performance cars like Ferrari and Porsche so I feel it was a fair question. I have already made my decision, I bought both cars. I didn't ask this question to help me decide on a car, I plan on keeping both.

13. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Ok, I can see this debate is futile. Talking to you about cars is senseless. This debate was started to discuss the differences between two cars, both are great. I thought it would be interesting to start the thread to hear what both forums thought about the other car. I in no way did this to help in my decision to buy either car. I currently own both cars and love them both. I further, have no plans to sell either car. It was you that started this with your nasty comment referring to "gene pool" etc. You have a right to your opinion but so do I. As far as education goes, I can only tell you that I more than likely spent more years in college than you. I'm doing just fine thank you even in this crummy economy..

14. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    You have a right to your suspicion/opinion but your wrong. I have owned many cars in the past and present including Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes, Lotus, etc...I do currently own both the 2009 ZR1 and 2007 Ferrari f430 F1 along with many other cars. I'm not a poseur just trying to stir up interesting debate...

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #40 tazandjan, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
    Credibility = zero.

Incidentally, it is you're wrong. Your cars (not) but "you are" contracted is you're. You need even more college once you get out of high school.

It would have been possible to start a nice discussion on the differences between a ZR1 and a 430, but that is not what you did. A more realistic discussion would have been between a 599 and a ZR1, or a Z06 and a 430, roughly performance equivalents.

I really enjoy interacting with the young Ferrari-loving posters here on the Forum who admit they are young and really want to learn about the cars and one day own a Ferrari. It is not much fun when someone pretends to be someone they are not. Have to put up with the good and the bad, I guess. Luckily most of the interchanges here are very positive.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

16. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    For me , 430 for sure regardless I have never driven a ZR1; not because of the name but a Ferrari Spirit.

I tested driving a Murcielago (e-gear) and a Gallardo-manual-spider side by side compared with my 430-spider yestersday; needless to say, I like the F430 much better than the Lambos - the feeling and handling are totally different.
    After the test drive, my desire to purchase a Murcielago was gone :-(

Ferrari is Ferrari , nothing can replace.

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I would hope the they felt different since they are all wheel drive, but if you ever get the chance drive one that has been converted to RWD. I was hoping I would see less of a Ferrari is a Ferrari, and more appreciation of what a great car the ZR1 is. I will own one of these at some point down the line, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, no it is not a Ferrari, but either is my moded 997S, or my moded gallardo, both of which are faster, handle better, and are more fun the drive than any Ferrari I've owned. I will own a few more Ferrari's before I am done, but I am not blinded to the other amazing cars that are out there.

18. gadgetman

gadgetman Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2008
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Curt W
    I'd stick with a car from a company that's still going to be in business in 12 months. Lets see.....Chevy.....Ferrari.....Chevy......Ferrari..........who's auditors just said they don't have money for continued operations.....?

...just sayin'.....

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Morrie- I have owned 10 Corvettes, from a 1961 to a 2008 Z06. They are great cars and, based on everything I have read, the ZR1 is the best of them all, and would be even if it did not have 638 hp. Corvette shortcomings are mostly cost related, with every nickel being watched on interiors, etc. The frequency response of the Corvette transverse elliptics is inferior to that of the coil springs on the Ferraris and Lamborghinis, giving the Italians a handling advantage on rough or irregular roads and during rapid changes of direction. The transverse elliptics do give some advantage in unsprung weight, since only the tips are unsprung, but this does not translate into much real world advantage because of the springs' frequency response.

One thing Corvettes do have over most Ferraris is wheel and tire size. In general, the Ferraris are underwheeled and undertired for their weight, and would corner better with wider wheels and tires. The fact they are fitted with relatively low life, very sticky tires makes up for some of that deficit, but a ZR1 corners about 0.10 "g"s better than a 599. The mid-engine layout of the 430 makes up for some of that, and the Scuderia is even closer.

I have said this before, the Corvette and the Ferrari do not compete in the new car market.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Taz:

I agree, and I doubt there have been many who have had to make such a choice.

21. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Incidentally, "you're" an *******! Ninety percent of the posts in this forum have spelling errors or are grammatically incorrect. Who cares? This forum is for quick posts it's not a spelling contest or a thesis. It's unfortunate that your so arrogant instead of contributing to the post in a constructive way.

A Ferrari f430 and corvette ZR1 are fair comparisons. The ZR1 was directly targeted against the F430 during its development. Sure, you can also compare the 599 GTB to it but it's really more of a GT car than a track oriented car. I'm happy to meet you at any track in the country with my cars face to face. Your obviously, naive in thinking that only an old man like you could have a Ferrari. It's arrogant people like you that make the rest of the world have so much scorn for people who own and drive Ferraris. Lose the attitude! By the way my post is perfectly legitimate. I will remind you one final time that it was you who started this whole argument not me. I asked a question to stir-up conversation/debate, nothing more. You then felt it was necessary to make false accusations about someone you don't even know. There always has to be a trouble maker out there like you making unproductive, nasty comments which do nothing to advance our discussion.

End of conversation!

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup- Have a nice day and enjoy your "cars".

Taz
    Terry Phillips

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thread is now useless and I for one was interested in the car talk.
    There's far less drama on the Nissan GTR boards.

24. boraville

boraville Formula Junior

May 7, 2008
    Livingston, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bora Sultan
    Stick to the GTR site. Ferrari's are'nt about 0-60 times. If you own one, you've outgrown that crap. And anyone that owes one understands the meaning behind the statement, "It's a Ferrari."

25. Nick85

Nick85 Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    USA
    Get the F430 no question. Forget about the cheesy Corvettes. If you want American Muscle get yourself a Shelby GT500, reflash the tune and swap the pulley out and enjoy your 600 hp brawler.