Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 102 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    Buying a new 992 is just
    The 992 is just a 997 with more power....
    :(;)

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    911 changes over the decades are virtually imperceptible to anyone except Porscheaphiles. The changes wrought by the F8 in comparison to the 458 is easily observed by anyone with eye sight. The engines are completely different, as is the aero dynamic elements as will be the driving dynamics using the 488 as a benchmark.

elmadi, MANDALAY, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  3. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    The changes from 997 to 992 can be compared with 458 -> F8.
    Engine, gearbox, suspension, steering.
    However, I agree with you: It‘s a lot.
    ;)

elmadi and Alexcle like this.
  4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Why do many prefer the driving experience of the 458 N.A. V8 over the faster and more nimble 488?

It’s not because these folks are not bright enough to recognize the difference between the two.

I think the sound and vibration is an important part of the driving experience.

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Why do many prefer the driving experience of the 458 N.A. V8 over the faster and more nimble 488?

It’s not because these folks are not bright enough to recognize the difference between the two.

I think the sound and vibration is an important part of the driving experience.
    The 488 and F8 sound pretty much the same same Maybe 588 is a little better

Not sure how much negative effect the filter will have on the 812 spider. Obviously the N.A. V12 in the 812 is very musical.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    In my region, you can’t drive the new models. You can only test the used cars.

If anyone here has driven the new F8, please chime in.

My person observations are what I believe to be what I will expect when I get the car.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
  8. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
  9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Gorgeous thing. Can’t wait for the head to heads vs the 720S.

stavura likes this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I believe they mixed it up with the price of the 488 Spider. The coupe was slightly lower than the F8's quoted price.

MANDALAY likes this.
  12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Seeing the video really makes me anxious to find out if Australia will have GPF :(

At the launch no one had any idea at all.

For me definitely a deal breaker if it does.

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Here is what an auto reviewer said about the engine music and driving drama

“Speaking of noise, the V8 still lacks the operatic quality we expect from a Ferrari; there’s not the same tingly and fizzing raw appeal as the old naturally aspirated unit of the 458. But those days are long gone, and this is the new reality, so we just have to deal with it. At low revs there’s a baritone blare that gives way to a hard-edged metallic mid-range through the operatic top end howl. This is an engine that has you rifling up and down gears just to hear the constant change in note. That Hot Tube helps here, channelling more of the noise inside, although its proximity to the turbocharger means a little more whistle and wastegate chatter.”

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Listen to the F8 engine start-up and rev at 2min 40 sec in this review.

The Hot Tube does help to improve the sound inside the cockpit.

16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    They say it is now a better sound than the 488 and Pista, even with the GPF.

LMH likes this.
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That car is just beautiful.

Avia11, stavura, Maggio23 and 2 others like this.
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #2545 Shadowfax, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Nope not true. I spoke with the head tech at length and detail about this today and was clearly advised the GPF has most certainly reduced the sound from where Pista and 488 are. So if someone is saying F8 sounds better than 488 and Pista then it's BS. He explained how now there is more sound being piped into the cabin and Ferrari has thrown a lot at trying to recover the sound but it will simply never sound as good as 488 or Pista for obvious reasons. F8 will only offer superficial sound on inside but outside it will certainly be quieter and even lamer than ever before. Just listen to SF90 vid, you can barely hear it around the track even going full noise. It's very quiet!
    Also, now, there is absolutely no way can you play around with the exhaust on the F8 due to pressure sensors now fitted post turbos which will detect any change - no matter how minor - or reduction whatsoever in back-pressure, or pulse, and, if any change is detected will send the engine haywire. So guys F8 is destined to be a car you buy stock and leave it that way.

PS. Re the 488 and having valves open all the time, I was given a detailed explanation of how and why the performance and torque is most definitely reduced at lower rpms along with the risk to engine health - this situation not warrantable by Ferrari when the files are read. Far better to use a valve controller in this situation so you can return it to stock when on it....but forget about all that totally with F8....can't do anything to fix it.

Gh21631 likes this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #2546 Shadowfax, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    That is totally ridiculous. Huge differences. Nothing at all to do with being Porscheaphiles...
    But would agree with Ferrari changes as being equally significant. F8 is faster and more improved than 458 and 488 but is sadly a mouse in the sound dept going by what I was told by someone who has actually driven one and, who knows all about the technical background on the car. OTOH was told the latest 812 sounds utterly amazing. Something positive there.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    With the Sterling at risk of losing value against other currencies, it would be strange to have the price lower for the F8 than for the 488 while in Euro the F8 is about 7% more than the 488.

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Find it very hard to believe you cant demo one before buying... unless you want to be first cab off the rank before the dealer gets their demo. But why do that when you already have doubts?All dealers get a demo and then they offload that at one point.

And, fair enough, but then knowing all that then why on earth would you buy one? I would agree with you that the sound and vibrations are part of the overall experience, but knowing these elements have been removed from the usual equation means the car will need to make up in other areas significantly to make it even worth your while surely?

22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Mate did he make any comment whether all F8”s will have the GPF ?

Well especially Australia