Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 73 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    IMO they are not even remotely similar. For one just about the entire front of the Pista is CF, the F8 is aluminum. One engine is a "turn up the boost" exercise, the other is a "race inspired" engine with race components. Aero is very different on each car. Weight reduction is 90kg (with the CF wheels). So in essence a very different car.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It's the exact same engine, with the addition of a particulate filter in the F8's case, and thus a bit different in calibration.

3. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    not according to techs at my dealers

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #1804 MalibuGuy, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    I am under the impression that when parts for a car are produced in smaller volumes, the cost per part increases dramatically. So a limited series car will be inherently more expensive. Then take into consideration that with the Pista there are more expensive non -optional carbon fiber body panels such as bumpers and the s-duct hood.
    So I tend to understand the extra premium charged for the special series models.

Ferrari does follow a strategy, call it marketing or simply product manipulation, where the special series outperform the next new model. 360 CS outperformed the F430. F12 TDF outperforms the 812. This is supposed to help maintain the desirability of the special series cars.

In the looks dept, Is the Pista better looking than the F8? Perhaps they look too much the same!
    Does aero dictate the design at this extreme level of performance? Maybe the S duct is now simply a given for all cars in the sport range, I wish that Ferrari had given the F8 different doors and a more unique design of the engine intake duct on the 3/4 panel.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    360 CS dis not really outperform the F430, and the Speciale definitely not outperforms the 488 - the Speciale may be more desirable for some than the 488 for different reasons (exclusivity, NA engine, hardcore definition or whatever) but certainly not for performance.
    Regarding premium charged for special series, the fact is that Ferrari has put it at another level for the Pista compared to how the Speciale was priced.
    Obviously they know their customers, so they knew many would accept it happily - but my perception remains what it is.

sampelligrino likes this.
  6. fireplace63

fireplace63 Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    Grigio Titanio

7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It's been reported as Grigio Silverstone a few pages back, which I believe is right.

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    O
    As far as my statement regarding the special series outperforming the next new model, I was referring to what Ferrari publishes as the official lap time at Fiorano. At Fiorano the 360 CS is faster than 430, the TDF is faster than 812, and the Pista is faster than F8.
    That’s what I meant by Ferrari marketing strategy and product manipulation.

I think buyers are influenced by all of the obvious factors: looks, performance, exclusivity, desirability, engine music etc. One unique aspect of buying a new Ferrari model is that one doesn’t often get the opportunity to test drive the new model. Perhaps this explains the reasons for a lot of the content on these threads.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Fiorano lap times:
    360 CS 1'28"
    F430 1'27"
    430 Scuderia 1'25"
    458 Italia 1'25"
    458 Speciale 1'23"5
    488 GTB 1'23
    Pista 1'21.5"
    F8 1'22.5"
    Pista faster than F8 is reasonable, with same power, lower weight and better tyres (I suspect most of the difference is in the tyres, but apart from them the lighter Pista would still be faster).

Frenzisko likes this.
  10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    AFAIK only the exhaust is different (the Pista has an inconel exhaust). Ferrari themselves mention that the F8's engine uses parts derived from the 488 Challenge. They say the same about the Pista. Then again, I can't claim to know better than the technicians of your dealer.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    True, but independent testing show that the 812 is even with, or perhaps a bit quicker than the tdf, and that the 430 is considerably quicker than the CS:
    http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel6632-5997.htm
    http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel1887-1143.htm

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The F8 has modified exhaust, but still with Inconel manifolds according to Ferrari web site.

REALZEUS likes this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I stand corrected.

14. SmokinV10

SmokinV10 Karting

Oct 19, 2017
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Copy that. I took the presumptive leap that the 56 miles meant it was new. Turns out that example car is only effectively new. That said, those cars, new or near new, got cheap really fast.

16. SmokinV10

SmokinV10 Karting

Oct 19, 2017
    Yes. Compared to a Fcar you can get into a 720 for 30-70k off of msrp for a 19 and 50-90k off of an 18. No wait, better customer care, carbon tub, faster, etc. even with the initial drop, a reasonable spec 18 720s seem to be holding value better than a comparable 488. Seems that Ferrari and mclaren may be starting to swap spots on depreciation. People are starting to notice the better customer service, and the popularity of the mclaren cars in pop culture seem to be outpacing Ferrari. It’s really kind of surprising

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Natkingcolebasket69 and IPO1 like this.
  17. This is exactly how different the F8 TryHarder is from the Pista.

If you were given the choice of ordering either an F8 TryHarder or Pista, which would you choose?

I'm guessing 99 out of 100 would say the Pista. The one person who would choose the F8 TryHarder is just lying to you.

18. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    From a technical standpoint sure- different. But visually very similar cars. If the stripe wasn’t on the Pista - I’d bet 99% of the people wouldn’t tell the difference.

But to your point, it is those technical differences that have me excited to get one in lieu of my 488. Whereas no chance in hell I’d sell the 488 to get an F8.

Viperjoe and Shack like this.
  19. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    F8 Try Harder!! Lol. That’s funny. More like F8 Trying to Keep up? :). Flame suit on. Lol

Viperjoe likes this.
  20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The F430 actually has two official lap times at Fiorano. The first F430 time was slower than the 360 CS. Then Ferrari listed a second time which was faster than the 360 CS. I believe the explanation from the factory was that the second time benefited from CCM, better tires and racing seats.

21. Sushistar

Sushistar Karting

Jan 20, 2018
    Berlin
    My dealer offered me 6 weeks ago a Pista and I take the F8. I told this one page before. We in Germany have no speed limit on the motorway and I take the F8. 340 km/h is enough.

I will enjoy the car with my woman and will drive round about 10.000 km. the year to Italy, Austria and South France. So the F8 is absolut the better car.

22. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Will try get some more specifics after Easter

REALZEUS likes this.
  23. Sushistar

Sushistar Karting

Jan 20, 2018
    Berlin
    From Ferrari:

The F8 Tributo’s engine also inherits highly efficient weight-reduction solutions from the 488 Pista which have cut the power unit’s weight by 18 kg compared to that of the 488 GTB. Once again, the racing world played a pivotal role. In fact, all the main lightweight components are derived from either the Ferrari Challenge or Formula 1.

The content that makes the greatest contribution to the reduction in the engine’s weight are:

• Inconel exhaust manifolds derived from the 488 Challenge
    • Titanium con rods
    • Lighter, optimised crankshaft and flywheel

Reducing the weight of rotating and non-static masses, such as the titanium con rods, crankshaft and flywheel, allows engine speed to rise very rapidly, so much so that the driver can see the rev counter needle flying, particularly in rapid transitions, such as gear shifting and scorching low-gear acceleration, making the car feel even sportier still. These reductions in the weight of the rotating masses yield a 17% reduction in inertia.

Apart from the extra power, the F8 Tributo’s engine makes both the car’s handling more intuitive and its performance more accessible. A slew of high performance features have been introduced to allow drivers exploit to the very fullest the potential afforded by the best engine of the last 20 years. These include a new boost reserve control strategy which optimises response time and performance in sporty driving on the limit, making all the power the driver asks from the throttle available virtually instantaneously.

Adaptive Performance Launch analyses grip as the car accelerates and then uses electronic controls to optimise the torque delivered by the clutches to suit the grip level of the road, reducing wheel slip to a minimum which, in turn, maximises acceleration.

The rev limiter’s “Wall Effect” strategy is another leap forward in terms of extreme engine performance. Rather than gradually limiting the revs towards the limit, it cuts off right at the red-line of 8,000 rpm, maximising the amount of power available in power-on dynamic driving situations and consequently improving lap times.

Adopted once again on this model is the hugely successful Ferrari Variable Torque Management strategy for all gears. To adapt it to the car’s extreme sporty spirit, all of the curves were redesigned to deliver a feeling of consistently smooth, powerful acceleration all the way to the red line.

Maximum torque is also 10 Nm higher than on the 488 GTB also and is available even at lower engine speeds.

The exhaust layout has been extensively modified across the board from the turbos to the tail pipes to produce a sound absolutely unique to this particular car. The result is an unmistakable engine timbre that is superior in terms of both the intensity and quality of the sound. The sound is also higher than the 488 GTB, particularly at medium/high engine speeds (up to a maximum of +5dB), in proportion with the progressive increase in power and is clearly audible to the driver in the cockpit.

The exhaust line also features a new Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF) to comply with new homologation requirements.

For full details see pdf

Attached Files:

Natkingcolebasket69 and kandi like this.
  24. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    No

I prefer the F8 to the Pista. Your guess is simply a guess based on your own thoughts.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LVP488 and REALZEUS like this.
  25. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    As mentioned in another thread, the F8 engine is identical to the Pista's engine, except for the GPF at the downstream end due to emissions regulations.

Pista is the better car, but anyone thinking the engine is different are likely the some folks that thought buying a Lusso or Portofino was a factory requirement to get a Pista. They'll believe anything... This is the new Ferrari trying to get maximum ROI on the Pista engine R&D.

anishka and IPO1 like this.