Ferrari factory tour 30 Sep. 2004 | FerrariChat

Ferrari factory tour 30 Sep. 2004

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by AEHaas, Oct 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I just got back from a 15 day tour of northern Italy. Among the stops were trips to a couple of small towns, Sant’Agata and Maranello, the Lamborghini and Ferrari factories.

We ate lunch at the Ferrari Restaurant across the street, a good meal and not overpriced as I thought it might be.

New on the Ferrari tours are the leather area and the foundry where they actually mill out the engines. The wind tunnel is said to be used for all model designs now, not just the F1 series. About one in 15 cars on the V-8 assembly line were 430’s. On the V-12 line were 612’s and 575’s, about 50-50. All models were driven inside and outside of the complex for test driving. Ferraris were everywhere being driven about. They say the paint shop building may open for tours soon. All the buildings are HUGE.

Some tid bits as I remember: The V-8 engines are on an assembly line and each one made by several people producing many engines a day. The V-12 engines are made by a single person in around 7 hours. The engines are bench tested at full power for a few hours before installation and again tested on the track in the car. The guide hinted that breaking the engine in by us owners was a good idea but not really necessary.

Lamborghini was different, much smaller. The workers who begin with the car finish with it thereby keeping up the interest. They do not get the same job over and over again. There were many Gallardos on that tract and just a handful of Murcielagos. About one in 10 were the roadster version. I was able to talk with a few of the guys on the line and actually get right into some cars to see exactly how they were made. My main interest was the framework. They do not let you get this close at Ferrari. We went through the leather factory. It is amazing to see these people work. I got a few good smiles.

The Lamborghini foundry and frame building areas are in the design building complex and strictly off limits.

Overall both factories were very clean, impressive and the workers seemed family oriented. The Ferrari tour group was around 20 people. The Lamborghini tour was just the 2 people I went there with; it was very intimate.

aehaas

2. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Wow, very cool write-up. That's a great experience I plan to enjoy one day, as well.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Thanks for the write up. I assume the rest of the V8s were 360 spyders, or are they still building Challenge Stradale models?

4. pipecrash

pipecrash Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    Los Altos, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter A.
    I was in Maranello on sept 20th and they were building F430 360cs 360 and 360 spiders on the V8 line and some of the v12 line was also building various v8 models as the demand for the 575m and 612 was not in full swing. 3 or 4 of the last Enzos had just rolled off the production line and were waiting to be shipped with the protective white plastic. Also saw a nice MC12 being wheeled into the factory on a special dolly.

5. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    The 360's were of all types. I also saw the MC-12. It was very impressive.

aehaas

6. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Just got back as well. My factory tour was on Oct 8th. The guy that gave us our tour was very knowledgeable and spent some extra time with us. We went an extra 15-20 minutes.

My wife and I stayed at the Planet Hotel. The hotel parking lot always had 3 - 7 ferrari's parked there. Highlights include the MC12 screaming past the factory doing ~80MPH!

My wife took a 3-hour nap one of the days that we were there...so I took a 3-hour walk around town with camera and stopped in many of the small garages working on several 60's vintage cars. Most of the garage owners are ex-F1 mechanics from the 60's & 70's. Really neat people to talk to.

The main gate where all of the road test cars exit is on the left side of the factory. What an awesome time in Maranello!!

7. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    What he forgot to tell was that he ran into another F-chatter on the bus to Maranello from Modena! While my wife and I were trying to figure out if we were at the right place to get a bus ticket to Maranello from Modena, I spotted Greg's red Ferrari duffle bag. Somehow a few busses later, I noticed this dude...speaking English. I'll let Greg tell the rest of the story.

Here is a site to checkout from the Northwest Region for some photos of our trip:vFerrari Factory Tour & Italy

8. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    We arrived in Modena and got on the first bus that takes you to a bus depot. This bus depot can get you to Maranello. Buses are not really that well marked and at least 2 say "Marene...", maybe 3 buses had part of the word Maranello parsed. Anyway, after speaking to a bus driver, we board what we believe to be the correct bus. I notice this other couple, obviuosly American, standing in front of my wife & I. After a few introductions, Peter & I realize we are both Ferrarichat dudes and my wife is happy because she has a female to talk to.

It just so happened that Peter & Lauren's schedule matched our schedule, to the day. We saw each other in Venice and Florence.

Peter, I started another thread on our trip to Maranello. That's where I'll be posting some pics once I get them resized.