Ferrari FF MANETTINO Failure - 4WD Failure | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF MANETTINO Failure - 4WD Failure

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by PhantomCypher, Sep 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Sounds like a software/ecu issue or a wire harness issue somewhere else in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deltona likes this.
  2. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Update:

I got the car back last week. Drove it quite a bit (read: over 1,000 miles) and no issues so far. Noticed that there is an alignment issue that needs to be corrected with the wheels but I don't think that's related.

Mechanically the car is sound and shifts smoother than even in all gears. PTU swap remedied the issue.

Approximations of the cost in USD:
    Total cost of parts: $19,000
    Labor: $3,000-$4,000
    Total: ~$25,000 incl. tax

Thankfully factory Ferrari warranty covered this. I hope story inspires others to buy warranty, extended warranty or to buy a car with existing factory warranty.

3. Magnani

Magnani Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have been following this thead because I had the same PTU warning lights for the last 8 months on my 2012 FF. Dealer looked at it 3 separate occasions saying nothing appeared wrong. Noticed a noise on takeoff in snow mode last week. (I think in snow mode the PTU engages off the line regardless of rear wheel traction) Just now finished the week of back and forth negotiations with the factory and I got approved for a new PTU! Hooray!
    The answer to all those deliberating about purchasing the yearly warranty...... get it. It officially became one of the best purchases I’ve ever made this morning

Melvok, BaronM69 and PhantomCypher like this.
  4. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    How could you put up with it for months? The car goes into a limp mode effectively when it happens.

Glad to hear it's getting taken-care of,.

5. Magnani

Magnani Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Update. After installing new PTU, the same momentary gravelly noise occurs at PTU engagement. Another week of back and forth diagnostics with the factory and they have ordered a second new PTU. Awaiting it’s arrival......

6. biotequity

biotequity Rookie

Jun 22, 2012
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Michael Taylor
    Wow - i am just waiting for the FF to take the final leg down to $80-120k. It appears it might be sooner rather than later! Seems there is no warning for the PTU, just a roll of the dice on purchase?

7. Art19

Art19 Rookie

Jun 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Art Brown
    Hello guys, so did they ever disclose what the final cause of the problem was? my 2012 ff is currently at the dealership with the exact same problem PTU has been replaced for a brand new unit and the car still goes into limp mode as soon as you shift into reverse

8. Magnani

Magnani Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sorry to hear that. I had a slight grinding/gravelly noise and vibration on PTU activation with hard acceleration or on takeoff in snow mode. After a month or so of countless diagnostics and replacing PTU twice they just kind of gave up..... said they could not find anything wrong with it. I have not had any warning lights go off since then. Maybe they just unplugged the sensor:eek:. Now I just chalk these noises, as well as the click someone else noticed in another thread, as Ferrari charm;)

9. Magnani

Magnani Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Jason
    But there is definitely a ghost in the machine when it comes to the PTU

10. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Does anyone know how's the PTU holding up in the GTC4 Lusso?...Have all the PTU kinks been ironed out in the Lusso?

I wonder maybe I'm not hearing noises like that because I almost never drive with the windows down.

11. sesto22

sesto22 Rookie

Jul 19, 2016
    I'm having the same issue on my '14 FF, 'total electrical failure', manettino failure, tpms failure, and it won't start--new Interstate battery placed yesterday, put new snow tires on the car yesterday, as well--wonder if it was a TPMS failure issue to start that started down this road...:confused::rolleyes:

it had done it twice before and 'reset' with just stopping, taking the key out and restarting the car. It never started while in reverse, always did it while accelerating (gently :)), from a stop light. Last night it did the same thing on my way home, tried to stop/start, but did not 'reset', limped home and got it into the garage. Let it sit overnight, but this am, wouldn't start. Now, worried I have a PTU problem. Any other suggestions on what to attempt before getting it to the dealer? Im in rural Idaho, and its a LONG way to the closest dealership, and I am used to doing most of the maintenance myself.

Thx.

12. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Most glitchs and errors are battery related. Try change battery to new one first. Cheapest way to find out.

And then next will be factory software reset only done in service shop.

Also dont forget the alternator. A usual suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Melvok and vegasviper like this.
  13. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Luckily, last winter was so mild I didn't need to put on winter tires. But tomorrow, I'll be putting them on for the first time. Now I'm worried despite everything currently working fine on a brand new Interstate battery installed last month. Hopefully the car will pick up the new tpms without the electrical system going crazy.

14. sesto22

sesto22 Rookie

Jul 19, 2016
    Yeah, I don't know what it was that happened, prob a combo of the wrong battery, new tires requiring TPMS reboot, and now I cant get it to start--I wish I could find a way to just do a full reboot somehow. I wouldn't worry about yours.

Kirk

otakki likes this.
  15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ive been switching winter/summer wheels since 2012 and never an issue recognizing the tpms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melvok, Caeruleus11 and otakki like this.
  16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Luckily, everything worked great and the system picked up the tpms right away. I keep each wheel as marked at its respective corner, but wonder if the system will go crazy if they are swapped left to right.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    highly doubt it. taking wheels off and on isnt an issue given my experience.

otakki likes this.
  18. Ghostly Bear

Ghostly Bear Rookie

Jan 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Elvis Fu
    #68 Ghostly Bear, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Hi guys, can anyone teach me on how can I resolve the following fault code for a Ferrari FF. Thanks

- P1770, PTU gearbox wrong rank command

- P1520, hydraulic master pressure line under minimum threshold

19. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi Gostly Bear. Any solution for those errors?

20. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    Still no issues? Pls let us know!

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    it seems lussos having more DTC and PTU issues than ff from talking to shops.

22. Beezer

Beezer Rookie

Oct 19, 2019

Were you able to track this down? I am having the exact same issues.

23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    He hasn't been here since Sept, 2020. You might want to try sending him a PM.

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    he hasnt logged into fchat since sept fwiw

25. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I thought I'd post my experience merely as a data point. I own a 2014 FF with 27,000 miles. I have owned the FF about a year now and it is my daily driver. About three weeks ago I got the dreaded 4wd and manettino failure messages and was stuck in wet mode. Took it to the dealer and sure enough it was diagnosed as a PTU failure. Luckily it was covered by my New Power warranty. Best. Money. Spent. Ever.

I had no indication that there were any problems prior to the error messages. I have never had any problem starting the car or getting it into reverse as noted above. I occasionally get the full christmas tree treatment of error messages but I have always been able to solve that problem by getting the car on the charger (why do Ferraris always have battery problems?). No unusual sounds or leaks noted prior to the failure. The car drove fine in wet mode after the failure.

I'm not really here to speculate or complain. Instead I just wanted to add my car to the list of failures. I knew this was a possibility before I decided to take the plunge into the FF world. Frankly, even with the possibility of a PTU failure, the FF has got to be one of the best supercar values out there. Just... buy your FF from a factory dealer and make sure you pony up for the warranty!

andyrichter likes this.