Ferrari FF Road Test Data | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF Road Test Data

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by BusDriver, Feb 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Here in the frozen north, winter also freezes the car hobby. Most driving opportunities come to a halt. There are no track or racing events, no drives with friends. Even cars and coffee stops for the season.

Other than the relief provided by an occasional snow storm (relief=700hp RWD winter car), there is not much driving enjoyment to be had. So, I was going through the cars folder on my computer and found my FF road test notes from 2016....

In 2016, I did a performance test on a Ferrari FF on a private strip. Acceleration at lower speeds was good, and excellent at higher speeds.

My time was limited to 20 minutes so that meant a few experiments with starts and only a handful of runs. The sand blown tarmac limited traction and I found best acceleration was obtained by launching in Wet mode (!). Starting in Sport or Comfort mode resulted in too much wheelspin and there was no need for Launch Control. The FF’s lower speed acceleration is limited by a number of things – its heavy, tall geared (50mph in 1st gear and 80 mph in 2nd), and the 4RM system allows plenty of rear wheelspin, and only has 2nd and 4th gears for the front wheels. But nice that the 4RM system feels very RWD and the rears have to properly spin up before the front wheels kick in. A little weird sensation when that happens in a turn, and the FWD engagement is “laggy” in both turns and in a straight line.

Interesting that compared to a Porsche 911 Turbo S (a car with a similar power/weight ratio but much better torque/weight and AWD system), the FF has about a 1 second deficit at 60 mph but similar acceleration beyond that. No car that I have driven launches as hard as a 911 Turbo, not even a 918 (which is torque limited by software for about the first 1 second or 25-30 mph after launch). For the GTC4 Lusso, they improved launch and lowered 0 to 60 times partly by “a more efficient heat exchanger with increased thermal capacity [that] enables the delivery of more torque to the front wheels in dry conditions.”

The FF and GTC4 Lusso V12 remain my favorite Ferraris. There is nothing quite like the music of a Ferrari V12 and carrying 4 people in style.

Here is the data

Results:

30 mph….1.6 sec

40 mph….2.1 sec

50 mph….2.6 sec

60 mph….3.4 sec

70 mph….4.2 sec

80 mph…5.1 sec

90 mph….6.2 sec

100 mph….7.4 sec

110 mph…8.8 sec

120 mph….10.4 sec

130 mph….12.3 sec

140 mph….14.5 sec

150 mph….17.2 sec

(1 foot rollout. All data is actual from vbox, except the 150mph time is extrapolated from measured 15.5 sec to 144mph using a curve fit)

0 to 200 kmh….11.2 sec

1/4 mile 11.4 seconds at 126 mph
    (126mph is the instantaneous speed, not the 66 foot average reported on a drag strip)

Average gradient was – 0.3 percent. Virtually flat.

Weight was 4290 lbs with about 30 percent full gas tank, and without driver.

AMN, gh0st0, Jo Sta7 and 6 others like this.
  2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Very cool. Thanks for posting.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Very cool post. I’d love to see something this detailed for your other cars!

4. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Impressive data for a 4300lb car!

5. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Thanks!

The FF data is the most thorough I have for any car. Haven’t done many acceleration tests in recent years due to the lack of an appropriate venue. But did take my old F430 to the drag strip about 5-6 years ago. Will find vbox data and post here.