For Sale - Ferrari Flashlight restoration | FerrariChat

For Sale Ferrari Flashlight restoration

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by Snapshift, Jan 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    #1 Snapshift, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    I have a good friend who runs a professional machine shop and he has successfully restored 2 of the hopelessly corroded Ferrari mini mag lights that were included with several of the car models in the glove compartment .

If you think you might be interested in attempting to restore yours, I will be offering his services. The minimum charge would be $60 plus parts & shipping each way, to to machine the batteries out of them and rebuild to the original incandescent style. They can also be converted to LED style, but that involves more expensive parts that have to be cannibalized.

The plastic switch plate in the end of it is sacrificed because this has to be drilled out from both ends and it cannot be salvaged. So once the bore is cleaned out the way we rebuild it with the cannibalized parts from a new model flashlight and can do it in the LED style or incandescent.

He says the amount of work can be variable on these, the last one we did he gave me a break on it, but he says it was over $200 in labor anything over $200 labor to machine it out is probably not worth salvaging and we can notify you if that were to be the case, etc

if anyone is interested in this prospect that I'm just putting it out there that we can explore the possibilities and maybe restore some of these ridiculous lights back to near their original glory for anyone that would be interested. PM me for details.

Would take the flashlight with a labor deposit, Venmo pay pal etc. and after examination probably could give a firm price after examining it and determining how you wanted it reconstructed.

if it were quick and easy would refund any balance. Not looking to make anything on this myself. Your costs are out costs. Whatever your maximum would be to restore say hundred dollars plus postage, ship it to me and we would return if it exceeds that we would return the light plus your deposit. If you have any other ideas how we might make this work for the Ferrari Chat I'm interested in exploring it. I've seen these things as high as $800 on eBay and it's not certainly not worth that. But for a few hundred bucks. It may be something that would be of value to some of our members here.

Ryan S. and Red 27 like this.
  2. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004

375+ likes this.
  3. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    This a great service. I restored one and it is a b&#@ch.

4. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Yes it is. Some are easier than than orhers

5. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    I'm in.... mine is stuck shut, would love to get it functional and interested in the LED option.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Castlemount

Castlemount Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 18, 2020
    Notts, UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    They are a nightmare once they get stuck.

7. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    super cool

8. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Once the restoration is completed, do you still unscrew the tail end to replace batteries? I ask this because I did ˋclean up´ a seized flashlight and the threads were very corroded where it can’t be tightened. The cap is very lose due to the corrosion eating away the aluminum.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    We try to clean them up and re machine them. Sometime we can fit a threadsert coil in to tighten them up.

10. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Anyone have any suggestions how to unstick a bottom that is stuck shut?

I've tried soaking it with PB blaster for a few days but nothing

11. Art H

Art H Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 15, 2014
    How do I get in touch? I have 3lights

12. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    PM me and read the original post. Probably could send them all and we could look at them and try to give you a fair estimate. They can be a bear to clean out. Some may not be salvageable but cant tell until we see them. I am trustworthy and will return them all. Let me know what will work for you. It is hard to know what the cost would be until the work is started, and parts for led re construction are about 30 in parts plus the machine work. machine work is roughly 60/hr. How do you have three of them?

13. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    We just accumulate crap. I have two of these sitting in a drawer doing nothing since I sold my F430.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. Art H

Art H Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 15, 2014
    Hi, I have several flashlights that need repair how do I get in touch? Thank you!

15. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    You can box them up and send to me in about a week. I am on vacation now. Wont be back until Aug 9. Insure them for what you want . I Recommend FedEx I will photograph your inventory as received send you the copy, then take them to machine shop- for estimates. after that we will communicate about what needs to be done to each. Number them if you will please. Then we will discuss how you want them rebuilt, LED or incandescent. I recommend using Energizer lithium ultimate batteries in these as they are guaranteed not to leak. I will return them to you after reconstruction and repair if they are repairable. If some are not repairable, I will return them as it was received. I will pm you contact info address etc.; Hope that helps. Before any work is done I will get you the estimates. Return will be after receiving payment by venmo etc, and then Fedex tracking with photos will be uploaded to you. Thanks. Hope I can help you.

van22 and Ryan S. like this.
  16. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke

a better option I have found that I cant beat is this

https://www.normalguysupercar.com/product/forza-componenti-forza-mini-maglite-led/

17. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
  18. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Oh, OK, I didn't realize not OEM. Offer still stands then. Thanks.

19. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Hello Snapshift,
    I’ve got one that still has the battery cases stuck inside. I tried drilling out as much as I could, but couldn’t get it opened up enough to fit new batteries in. Do you know if this can be drilled out by your friend ?
    Thank You,
    Dominic

20. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004

21. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Yes it can be filled out by graduated drill bits.

22. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    That’s what I figured, but I don’t have a drill press and don’t want to buy more drill bits for a one time use with a hand drill !!! I figure letting someone with the proper vise and set up would be safer.
    Thank You,
    Dominic

23. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    I ca do it if no one else wants to do this.

24. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Sounds good. Let’s see if I get a response from Snapshift !!!
    Thank You,
    Dom

25. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    No prob