Ferrari GTEs RIP | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari GTEs RIP

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Kalidengas, Jan 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Where did this car come from? Who built it? Does it still exist? From the photos, it looks very nice.

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Certainly most of you remember that years ago, it was not only OK, but quite the right thing to do to buy a chassis and have a special one-off body made just for you. Even today, there are shops in Italy that will do conversions/modifications on exisiting vehicles.

I would agree with the opinion that using an existing chassis to create a replica is not kosher, but to come up with a one off design sounds very interesting. No, I would not use a car that already is in limited supply or already a one-off. And if it were made by known fabricators like Tom Meade, then you might have something exciting. Even Enzo was OK with Tom's work.

3. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Yes, each of us is responsible to live our lives to our maximum self interest. We do not have the responsibility to subjugate our self interest to that of another.

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Is that the spirit of Ayn Rand stirring in the background.......?

James

5. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Yes, but it is not in the background.

OK, we are getting close to the answer here, somebody say it.

6. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    um, buy yourself a miata and turn it into a (very) SWB Cal Spider?

you are my soul brother in P&R, fish, but you gotta let this one go; you're in Vintage country here.

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    It sounds like the spirit of Lord Brockett is among us.

8. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    No, the answer is that the replica represents the unauthorized use of another's property. So, if we are to be true to our self we cannot take what belongs to another. In short, the real reason to discourage replicas is that it is not your own work...I think that is the position Ferrari has taken in the past. So, if you take a GTE or any Ferrari that you own and crush it, you are within your rights, but if you change it to resemble something it was not, you steal from he who owns the original...that is why property rights need to be absolute...the design is also property...Now, I still don't think it is our place to condem those who don't respect those rights, but It does demonstrate why I would never participate in such activity.

9. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    #84 JonBrent, Feb 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not a Cal Spider, but still neat
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think the Miata is quickly replacing the Fiero..

11. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Is the driver wearing a helmet so people won't recognize him? I'll bet his bumper sticker says "My OTHER car is a Gremlin".

12. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    #87 JonBrent, Feb 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's not a Ferrari emblem on there is it!?!

14. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    does anybody know where you get the miata/daytona body kit?

15. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
  16. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
  17. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I had to laugh at that quote. I have a friend with a Lusso and he used to drive around with that exact line posted in his rear window.

18. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Interesting article in the March 2006 Sports Car Market concerning the topic of "recreations".

19. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    Very well said. Thank you.

Does the factory have an official position on recreations, modifications, replicas and such? I seem to recall several articles in Cavallino perhaps two years ago on the factory plans for an authentication program in which the owner would pay a fee to have a factory rep authenticate that the owner's car was the real thing. Was that program implemented or dropped? I have not heard much about it for awhile. Maybe this has been throttled to death in previous posted, if so, I apologize for bringing it up again. In the dark,
    Ed

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The factory does have an authentication program and it is the opposite of what you have stated. Unless your car is 100% as it left the Ferrari factory it is not able to be authenticated.

There is an example on this board where a 100% genuine car has had it's differential replaced (due to maintenance) with a correct part and Ferrari will not authenticate the car. Perdantic is the right word ... thus these hacked cars, even if converted back to original would I suspect never be genuine Ferraris according to the factory :(.

Thus you cannot bribe Ferrari into authenticating your car as you suggested ;)
    Pete

21. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Factory has an army of lawyers out trying to stop the unauthorized use of the name Ferrari. They do not appreciate those that make 308/328's in to GTO lookalikes and try to call them real Ferraris. Same with manufacturers
    og modle cars, only Mattel has the legal right. I would do the same if I were "Ferrari".

They do not frown on customizing, rebodying, etc, as long as it is not presented as a real Ferrari design or build.

22. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Every statement you made in this post, save the last, is incorrect. And by the way "Perdantic" is not the right word; as a matter of fact, it isn't even a word. (I assume you're thinking of "pedantic.")

I suspect that you, and many other, don't know anything about the factory's certification program except what you've heard second and third and fourth hand. I don't know about the example you cite of a differential being replaced and have little interest in spending time trying to find it. I do have first-hand knowledge of a car which had its transaxle replaced with one of the correct type but a different number. The car was certified by the factory, with a note concerning the gearbox number in the certificate book.

The same procedure is followed for a car which has an engine of the correct type but the wrong serial number. It will receive a certificate with a notation on the engine. If the proper engine is ever re-installed, the certificate is updated to remove the note.

Whatever issues may exist with the factory's certification program, they are nothing like what you describe.

O.Gl

23. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    My friend, you are tainting the intended meaning of “responsibility” with the old "I, me, mine" philosophy.

If you make this your mantra, eventually you’ll have aeropales crashing into your buildings again.

john

24. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    We cannot serve anyone's interests but our own and live up to our maximum potential. Altruism is the call of the underachiever, the Toohey's of the world. As a result of each man exerting his self interest, society is moved forward...it is the only way a society can advance.

25. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005

Ahhh... in what direction does this "society" advance? What is forward?