Ferrari has Pontiac Fiero 355 replica siezed .... but misses Noble P4 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari has Pontiac Fiero 355 replica siezed .... but misses Noble P4

Discussion in 'British' started by P4Replica, Oct 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Someone earlier compared replica cars to pirated software and movies. The problem is, pirated software and movies are, well, pirated. They didn't build software to look and act like the real thing, they made an illegal copy of the real thing to sell AS the real thing. The same is true of a pirated movie. They didn't shoot a new movie to look close to the real movie, they made an illegal copy of the real movie to sell AS the real movie. In each case, the seller acts as though he is the real, authorized seller of the product.

Replica watches are made to be, at least to the casual observer, indistinguishable from the real thing. They look and perform like the real watch. Note, however, that Rolex (for example) does not go after the "sterile" replicas (those replicas that look and perform like the real thing, but which do not have the trademark). There are even other watchmakers who make watches that are otherwise dead ringers for a Rolex, but which carry their own trade mark.

Most replicars (Tongascrew's "250 California," the Mera, the 308/328 replicas, etc) are not exact replicas. They mimic rather than replicate the original car's lines. In this respect, they are more like a sterile Submariner style watch than pirated software, so long as the original manufacturer makes no claims that he is selling the real thing. And as for the owner putting the nameplates and emblems on, why should that be illegal? If I walk into a BMW dealership and by a set of Roundels, do you mean to tell me that I can only place them on a BMW? What's next, that they can only be placed in the correct, factory approved spot?

To place the nameplates and emblems on replica may (or may not) show a lack of taste, but so long as the builder of said vehicle is not a business, and so long as the builder does not then go out and try to sell said vehicle as "the real thing," so what. Is there some rule that everyone must have the same, "good" taste?

I'd love every minute of owning and driving a Calspyder. No, I personally wouldn't put Ferrari emblems on it. I have my own name for my creations. But I think one would be sweet.

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #27 rdefabri, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is no laughing matter. I spent a TON of time painstakingly hand crafting my Enzo replica. I spent a serious amount of money on it, only to have the goons from Ferrari confiscate it from my gnarled, worked hands.

A lot of blood, sweat, and tears (along with a wad of cash) went in to making this the most accurate replica ever. I'm devastated and appeal for the madness to end.

All I have left is one picture of the now caged beast...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login