Ferrari Historians | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Like to find the names of active Ferrari Historians.
    Possibly start this thread off by listing the inaugural members (still living) of the Ferrari Club NA or anywhere else for that matter. No doubt all these individuals have a great knowledge of Ferrari.

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Marcel Massini

NürScud, jm2 and PaulK like this.
  3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    They can close the thread now.

NürScud and Thomas S. like this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    How about Ferrari historians for the people who bought, drove, and sometimes died in these cars?

5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Marcel Massini hits two of the three points you posted and hopefully won't be hitting the last one for a very long time. He has contributed a lot to the community and has even wrote books on the subject.

To me Marcel would be the A-List Ferrari guy. He's traveled the world to drive and learn about them. He's basically lived what only everyone else can dream about. The level of detail he possess about the subject is stunning.

Carbon McCoy is another historian and has a rabid appitite for all things Ferrari, especially VINs. The guy changed his freaking name and has the cavallino tattoed on his chest. He focuses on the modern stuff where Marcel focuses on the vintage. I don't think he has written any books like Marcel but he has written for car magazines.
    What both of them have in common is their rabid appitite for all things Ferrari and that their appitite is never satisfied.

NürScud likes this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Who?
    ;)

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I think it's some guy that says he knows about Ferrari. :)

NürScud and 375+ like this.
  8. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    #8 Ferrari27, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    This is the name that should be at the top of everyone's list and I would add DWR46. There are lots of others but unfortunately many are no longer with us. You only need to look at the list of contributors to Cavallino to find out the names of others. Lots of them contribute to Ferrari-Chat and many of them are unsung heroes.

I would be really interested to see which names Marcel Massini would add to the list.

dodici likes this.
  9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This +100. I've always wanted to know who his
    favorites are, what his favorite Ferrari books are, and publications. I have been meaning to ask him. Considering he subscribes to just about all of them all over the world... What is his favorite magazine?

10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    All of them... literally.

Robb

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Absolutely. Add Dick Merritt to the list.

Lusso123, dodici and jm2 like this.
  12. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Ed Niles

NürScud, Lusso123, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  13. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    There are a lot of guys with a lot of knowledge about Ferrari's.
    Taking nothing away from them as they are all well respected.
    But like a multitudes of authors, some can write an interesting tale more so than others.
    I have read as no doubt everyone else on this forum, hundreds of classic articles over the years, and some of the writers do have that ability to be the Fredrick Forsyth,
    Sydney Sheldon or Clive Cussler, in their style. Well I guess you know what I mean.
    Each to there own specialization I guess. The a fore mentioned historians are (in my opinion), more factual, and love them for that.
    The difference comes in road reports or personal interpretations of likes or dislikes.
    So ..... feel free to include the other guys also.

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    In no particular order: Alan Boe, David Seielstad, Hilary Raab, Jess Pourret(dec.), Michael Lynch(dec.).

Lusso123 likes this.
  15. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Particularly liked Boe's report on 0438MD.
    Showed the cars life, and the involvement with, Phil Hill, von Neumann, James Dean,
    and of course Porfirio Rubirosa.

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I respect all those names and pretty much everyone else who is alive that owned a Vintage Ferrari and has a story to be told at one time. To be a historian, You must know alot about each individual car. A way to find out is to talk to the previous/original owners. They are "kinda" considered a historian of that specific car, No?
    The info has to come from somewhere?