Ferrari Hydraulic Lifters 149750, a detailed look | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Hydraulic Lifters 149750, a detailed look

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, Dec 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Doubtful that vacuum on the outer body would do much. A proper tool for the piston will grip pretty well. When I tried prior, I just looked for something in the shop that would work. I was too lazy then to make something ;)

We don't have a manual lathe (should get one). But I will have one of my guys knock this out during the week between jobs - we have a job ending in a couple days.

I do have a vacuum generator so it should work well

:)

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Think about it. Dave said the piston area is 0.14 sq inches. So the max pulling force a vacuum could generate is 2 lbs. Is that enough?

3. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The inner piston area is .14, the outer diameter is larger so the area will be a bit larger.

If I get a chance today I will use some weight to determine the load needed.

It's such an easy part to make that it's worth a try. Might take my guy Paul 1/2 hour to make :)

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I was replying to you last post John but it vanished ;)

I have a vacuum generator. Yep, already looked to see it I had tubing that would fit, but I don't ;)

I just checked the force with some blocks - it's approx 6 lbs. But, that is also on clean parts. So, add some oil friction and possible grime and yeah, it's probably not a safe bet so back to the sure method of a collet :)

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Vacuum applied to the outer body would pull a vacuum on both sides of the piston through the leakage gap. Plus, you would have to plug the oil supply hole or you would just suck air.

So far the best idea were a pair of pliers designed to grip the piston, or just banging it on a board.

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I was not going to apply it there without an o-ring seal on the outside of the piston, so nope :D

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    FBB's pliers idea was good for sure. I looked yesterday at parallel jaw pliers and possibly machining the jaws. It's a good idea and I'm happy to admit it. But, I feel better about the secure nature of a collet.

As to banging them on board - look that the damage to the edge (probably not a huge deal). I'll send you my 50 (40 + 10 spares) and you can bang away, John :)

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hey Paul,

They don't list the ID that I can find and they are not smooth - but thank you very much for this coz I did not know these exist and I need a set for my seals :)

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Dave are there any pliers made that can accept a collet? So rather than threading it just draws it in to compress?

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Not that I know of but see these clamps - they are linear pull some a concept like this could be used.

Straight Line Action Clamps - Push & Pull Clamps | DESTACO

As far as the threads, that's a very easy machining operation and I don't think more that a turn or so will be needed.

11. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Pretty sure they come in a variety of stem seal diameter sizes, find one oversize to your needs and line it with some thin rubber, Bobs your uncle.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The gripping area (amount of piston protrusion) is very small, about 0.08". The gripper needs to be precise. :)

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Noticed the part number for these is 149750 for 355 and changed to 195017 for the 360.

Would be interesting to compare the difference.

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So how did anyone know if theirs were bad as I have mine apart but no way to test them