Ferrari in Camera , the register | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Ferrari in Camera , the register

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Dino2400, Feb 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I bought Konradsheim's Carrera RS book from them at a ridiculous discount.

Zeltweg likes this.
  2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    So they released FIC in 1996 and it seems they were still selling standard (all be it red) editions brand new through the Palawan website up until 2018 or so.
    Is that correct?

3. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Yes and no. All copies were finally sold out. Due to the cult status of the book the publisher decided to assign 32 numbers of destroyed copies to book blocks that they still had on the shelf. These copies were all hand bound in red buckram and offered for sale.

Buchpilot likes this.
  4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    When did the blue cloth standard edition sell out ?

375+ likes this.
  5. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    They sold out in 2001.

Zeltweg, Rosey and Jack-the-lad like this.
  6. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    #181 MHK69, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
    I think around the same time I bought the RS book for $75 from L'art et L'automobile, a deal for sure

Different times now, seems there's no bargains to be had.

Buchpilot, Rosey and Zeltweg like this.
  7. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Today print runs are smaller, paper more expensive ect. But there will always be bargains, you'll find out.....later.

Lusso123 and Zeltweg like this.
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    There can be at large "in person" auctions. Online bidders don't want to pay to collect, pack and ship the books(plus high commissions). There are some good opportunities from time to time.

Lusso123 likes this.
  9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I think there are less "bargains" out there then say 20 years ago with the internet providing such an easy way to get a value on things these days.

Most people these days know what they have, but having said that I've bought a few bargains in some auction houses, mainly when a few books are sold as a bundle once you break down the value per book.

Buchpilot, Lusso123 and Seppefan like this.
  10. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    #820 is up for sale at a price of 1,495 USD at eBay:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/203949525849?hash=item2f7c56cb59:g:L5wAAOSwmkFifwUz

The seller writes about a "very good condition" and an "excellent condition" (which one is it now?), but one of the images shows heavy damage and a huge scratch at the back cover. So the phrases "very good" and "excellent" are up for discussion ...

11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Yeah, scratch and corner damage look nasty.... anything but "excellent".

Buchpilot likes this.
  12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    These phrases are neither trademark protected nor certified in any way. Comparable with the car market. "A very strong runner" :)
    Something different. While I love my "Ferrari in Camera" it also was the trailblazer for many overpriced books to come, which very even more expensive, but lightyears behind Ferrari in Camera regarding quality.

Best from Germany
    Martin

Sharknose, Rosey and Buchpilot like this.
  13. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Highest bid was 1,300 euros - not sold.

14. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    In the end quality is the only determinant.

Buchpilot and Rosey like this.
  15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Same here, I had no idea that when I finally anteed up the money for a copy of FIC I really thought my expensive book spending was over.... little did I know !! :( :(

Zeltweg and Buchpilot like this.
  16. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    #62, blue standard edition, safely arrived today. What a great book, indeed!!!!

ivo73, ggjjr, Zeltweg and 5 others like this.
  17. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Re-visiting this site always puts a kind of wry smile on my face. I think if we divide the then-generous sum that publisher Simon Draper paid Geoff Goddard and me by the number of books sold we would be lucky to have earned around £12-£15 per copy. All these years later they sell for how much?

Fortunately, Geoff (who died in April 2006 aged 76) and I went into it with our eyes open, and the book's status today pays homage to him and to his wonderful work. We preserve his originals today in The GP Library Collection.

DCN

Jack-the-lad, Rosey, Ferri and 7 others like this.
  18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Did miss this back then. R.I.P Geoff. I also love your work on "Track Pass", which I purchased soon after Ferrari in Camera and was already a rare item back then.

Best from Germany
    Marrin

19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    All these years later Doug it's still one of THE all time classic Ferrari books ever published.

20. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    #373 (red version) is for sale in the Netherlands, asking € 1500

Rosey and Buchpilot like this.
  21. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Are red versions more/ less/ the same value as a standard blue cloth version do you guys think?

22. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Red editions tend to be a little bit lower in price than the blue ones, although they are even more rare than the blue ones and their copy numbers are in accordance with the overall print run of the book. It's just that 32 blue copies were damaged in production and Palawan chose to reproduce them. Why they chose to make them red, I don't know.

So, objectively, there is no reason why the red ones should be of less value, but very slightly they are if I look at recent offers and sales.

23. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I can't see any reason why they would be different. The content is identical and they are part of the same numbered sequence. Just that the red ones were printed later (and Palawan charged more). That said, I own a copy and I don't intend to sell it, so the value of my copy and others is immaterial.

Buchpilot likes this.
  24. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Anyway, the price asked here of 1,500 euros is a very good one. If I hadn't a copy already, I would buy it.

25. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    #200 bloomberg, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    To be correct, these books were not printed later. A publisher will always print some more than needed for the edition, in case of damage etc. The unbound book blocks were given the numbers of the destroyed books, and were (contrary to the blue books) bound by hand and given a red buckram cover. Given the choice, I would always go for the red book, the binding quality is a little bit better.

Lusso123 and Buchpilot like this.