Ferrari inventory levels driving Lamborghini sales | FerrariChat

Ferrari inventory levels driving Lamborghini sales

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by xotik, May 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I read an article in a car mag that was discussing Ferrari production and the possibility of a Ferrari SUV. Included in the discussion was a comment that Lamborghini sales are strong because people who want a new Ferrari can't get one due to availability, so they buy a Lamborghini. They opined that the newly rich don't care about who Enzo Ferrari was any more than most Americans today don't care who Henry Ford was. They just want a status symbol.

The article went on to discuss the fact that there are more millionaires and billionaires than ever before, and that number will continue to climb. Therefore the number of high end cars from all brands, especially Ferrari, should rise to meet demand.

Not sure how I feel about all that. First, I feel there is a distinct difference between Ferrari and Lamborghini owners for the most part, so brand loyalty does matter. Second, I think flooding the market with anything decreases its exclusivity and, in time, its value.

Regardless, I have been pondering those topics and thought I weigh in with you guys.

Jakuzzi and daytona355 like this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I agree, if Lamborghini or anyone else wants to up production, let them, but the exclusivity of the product is the thing that makes them most attractive, so if there’s one on every corner, it becomes less of an achievement, and less of a symbol of status. I look at Porsche a little that way now, can’t help it. When I was a boy (and that was post William H Bonny, before anyone says otherwise), a Porsche was rare, and as such, was a status symbol much like a ferrari or lambo to the general unwashed. However, now you see so many round, and cayenne’s etc too, even someone that likes them, such as I, don’t really see them as the same level as I once did, slotting them in closer to a step or two over a nice Mercedes rather than a rung under a lambo or ferrari.

3. Back'n'Black

Back'n'Black Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    In my little part of the world, you might see a Lamborghini or two every so often....but to see a Ferrari "in the wild" around here is rare and a treat I don't get very often. I guess that makes spotting them even more special.

I think the article is right in the sense that now more than ever, we have people with more money than brains and want instant gratification when buying that "status symbol". Why wait months when you can have it NOW!