Ferrari is the worse brand ! Ferrari Stolen From Newport ! | Page 4 | FerrariChat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Woah here buddy. We are not your enemy. But there is no way you could have sold your car at MSRP. That's a fact. Just go to Cars.com if you don't believe me. If someone smashed into you, you would be in the same situation.

Should the dealer do something? I think so. But what we cannot tell from the information you've given us.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    In the eyes of the insurance company..its just a car. Nothing more. They dont care how you felt about it. Be it a ford or ferrari.

Its sad what happend to the car, but deal with it at this point. Be happy you are a poaition to buy and complain about ferrari service. Move on.

3. Benignetti-Scarfiotti

BANNED

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Has The Worst Customer Service !

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You seem to believe that because your car was not for sale, and would never be offered for sale, that the market (insured) value of this 2yr-old used car was $340K.

That is delusional.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Let's get a few things straight before everyone goes off the deep end.

When this was first reported in the press,

1) 100% of the people here felt it was as far as we can tell, it was the dealer's fault. It certainly doesn't appear to be the fault of the owner
    2) 100% of the people here felt it should not have happened and questioned how it could happen
    3) 100% of us had sympathy for the owner and would be very upset if it happened to us
    4) we were appalled at how badly the car was trashed
    5) we were happy the criminals were caught
    6) we believed the insurance companies would be able to sort this out and give appropriate compensation
    7) we believe the dealer should do something to make the owner feel appreciated and minimize his loss, if any.

I don't think any of our opinions have changed since then. Everyone wishes the person who owned the car feels satisfied with the results as best as possible and that the dealer, and all dealers, never let it happen again.

6. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ... buyer remorse on the Lambo and you want to switch back to the Ferrari? :D

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    This is part of the problem. I'm trying to understand with what's been given. Maybe the lawyer GF can chime in with some coherent presentation of the facts/timeline.

If some meth addict stole my Ferrari when she was getting serviced I'd be mad too. Well since its a stick there is some limitation who can steal it.. ere I digress. Once the check was cut and I was in another car then I'd be good. OTOH I don't EXPECT any dealership to offer ANY personal service or warm fuzzies. That's what the lawyer is for.

8. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    458 = a family heirloom ????

That’s funny .

As others pointed out the Insurance made you whole, they don’t care whether it’s a pinto or a Ferrari, and just because you did not ever intend to sell it does not make the value appreciate.

9. Benignetti-Scarfiotti

BANNED

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    It is delusional to think that we should be Happy with the fact that the car was completely destroyed due to the dealers gross negligence with no replacement and no discount for a new one ! That is Delusional Thinking ! When it happens to you let's see you be so Delusional to Be Screwed Over !

4th_gear likes this.
  10. Benignetti-Scarfiotti

BANNED

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thanks !

11. Benignetti-Scarfiotti

BANNED

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Is it so absurd to think someone would save a Ferrari 458 to pass down to another family member ? It's not a Pinto.

12. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Look, I'm extremely attached to my car and would have a very hard time replacing it. I get you are pissed and seemingly, rightfully so. But, suppose the dealership had a fire and the car was destroyed. Would you feel any different with an insurance settlement of deprecated value?

13. Benignetti-Scarfiotti

BANNED

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ha Ha ! The Lamborghini Kicks The 458's Ass ! They are both beautiful machines but the fact is the technology in every Ferrari is dated !

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm not saying you should be happy; please don't rephrase my words into something I didn't say nor imply. I'm trying to determine your logic in what you believe your car was worth vs what you were paid for the loss.

What was the insurance company's final amount paid to you?

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So you've given up trashing Newport and now want to trash the cars? Then you should be happy these criminals took your piece of junk off your hands.

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

You don't seem to understand that your "heirloom" Ferrari is nothing more than a used Ferrari. ........your about 60 years too late.
    You also seem pretty entitled.

17. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    You're a new user here, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt ... once. You're welcome to post your complaint, but you must do so within the rules, which include not attacking other users who choose to comment on your posts. You claim to have a purpose for your posts, but so far that purpose is unclear, other than you want to trash both Ferrari and Ferrari Newport Beach. If other users dispute whether your situation, methods, position, or intent appear reasonable or consistent with what you post; well, that is what you signed up for when you posted your complaint on an open forum.

18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I think the point is the keys left in the car and stolen off the lot is the issue. A fire would be a different story. I think that's comparing apples and oranges.

Now, back to the OP, even though he may have gotten the depreciated value, I also would have expected the dealership to make up the difference somewhere. Is it unreasonable for them to kick in the difference, I don't think so. But that's just me, if the difference was $60,000 - the dealer could have offered up to 60k in options on the new order. They could have gone about it different to keep a client.

I think this is what the OP is getting at with his "customer service" comments, and I don't think he is being unreasonable to assume the dealer would have stepped up a little.

Now, before everyone gets all crazy about a business is not in the business of losing money, let's be clear, every business at times takes a hit at something going wrong where they lose money on deal. It's natural, sometimes, a business takes a hit for the sake of keeping a client happy, this could have been that time. Let's face it, 50k for a Ferrari dealer is not the end of the world to make a client whole and somewhat more at par for something they may have caused.

Stentboy, 4th_gear and Flea7 like this.
  19. Benignetti-Scarfiotti

BANNED

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    There are a few lessons here we learned from this ordeal at Ferrari Newport Beach.

1) Do not trust Ferrari Newport Beach Service with your exotic auto as you may never see it again !

2) If the Ferrari you love gets stolen & trashed because of Ferrari Newport Beach's gross negligence, don't expect anything but a check for the depreciated value and a fight with their Insurance for every dime !

3) Don't expect to get lucky and find a replacement. No one will really care to help you. You will be lucky to get a call back with prices if you happen to see a used car on their website. They will smile and tell you what they are doing for you, and how hard they are working in person.

4) Don't expect a call from the owner saying they were sorry they caused your car to be destroyed !

5) Expect to be told you got a better deal from the Insurance than you would if they bought it from you to resell !

5) Don't expect to be given a nickel discount on MSRP on any new Ferrari !

6) Don't expect them to give you an equivelent loaner for your supercar. We were told over & over by the GM how he gave us a New Cali-T to drive doing us a huge favor blah, blah, blah..! BS..! After we drove the car for 19 days he wanted it back. We gave the car back 21 days after the incident and we still didn't receive a check for 10 more days from the Insurance. Cheated Again ! The night we dropped off the car we were sent a disturbing text from the GM about how we drove the car 900 miles. We didn't even get a copy of the original mileage on it, and over 100 miles was driving back and forth to the dealer. The GM accused us of lying to him about driving the car out of the area, when we only went local. I guess we were only suppose to park it and look at it. This is how you will be treated by this dealer, then vilified for driving a loaner, so that they can turn their issues into yours. 100% Crappy Service !

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    What was the amount of the check?

21. Benignetti-Scarfiotti

BANNED

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    They lost a great customer whose family has been with Ferrari for a very long time !

The dealer refused to step up to make it right ! We were told by the owner's son they didn't want Ferrari Italy to penalize them for giving a discount on a new car as they would lose two cars to sell !

22. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    comment was made that he/they lost $60k on the car, that coupled with the initial $340 number they keep throwing out leaves $280

23. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I think this thread isn't going the way that you hoped.

Every person on this forum who saw the original story felt very bad for you and no one would want to go through what you did. You just dropped off your car and then through no fault of your own, it was stolen and now here you are.

I think your expectation of being made whole was beyond what the legal obligation was and even though you went to Ferrari North America; they probably told the dealer to not give in to you. This situation has happened in the past with all types of dealers. Plenty of customer cars have been stolen waiting for service (a few in my area (primarily corvettes).

From what I gather; Your car wasn't damaged enough to be written off. It could have been repaired but now would have bad history. Your insurance company would have wanted to repair it instead of giving you a total payout. Dealer went through their insurance and they decided to write you a check for whatever value the car was instead of forcing a repair. In this way; I feel they went beyond what they were required to do since you no longer wanted the car. (This is my though sitting behind a keyboard but I would've been just as mad as you are)

I don't know any exotic car dealer that will give a like for like exotic car as a loaner. Most people don't need one and they probably felt they owed it to you to give you one. I'm sure that they probably would have been upset that they did something voluntary and you drove it in far excess then what your stolen 485 was driven while you owned it. (most of the time the rental of a car would be capped by your insurance company).

btw; the math doesn't seem to add up. It leads me to believe that you must have bought the car used. It's doubtful that a 2015 458 spider value was $280K. Judging by what I'm seeing on these forums the value is probably in the $230K range. If it was bought used then there wasn't enough money in the buy transaction for the dealer to really go out of their way to make you happy (they may have only made a consignment percentage). This can make a big difference in how much they go above and beyond their legal responsibilities., i.e. if you had bought multiple cars from them in the past and they didn't think you would go legal on them then they probably would have treated you in a way that would have made you more satisfied.

You must have not been on good legal footing to get what you want because it seems that you settled by getting the insurance proceeds?

Once again; we all feel bad for you and none of us would want to go through what you did.

randkin and Gh21631 like this.
  24. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I don't really understand what's the confusion here. Insurance payouts are always in cash for the market value of the car, unless it is an agreed value policy.

A 458 Italia is a depreciating car, so the payout will be less than what you bought it for. On the flip side, if it's an appreciating value car, then you can get more than what you paid!

This has nothing to do with Ferrari. If you total your Lamborghini next year, you will face the exact same fight with the insurance company.

With that said, I do believe the dealership was being negligent, and should have made more amends if they wanted to keep you as a customer.

But remember, the dealership has no obligation to make these kinds of amends unless they lose a lawsuit to you. Unfortunately if they find the price or trouble of making you happy is too high, they will choose to lose a customer rather than make him happy.

25. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Interesting question about agreed value vs market value. I don't know what limit insurance companies use but probably cars bought at a price above $200K they probably will only do agreed value. My insurance company hasn't given me a choice to do market value of any car below $215K.