Ferrari is the worse brand ! Ferrari Stolen From Newport ! | Page 5 | FerrariChat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    My favorite part of the show: “ the dealership caused this”. That mentality scares me more than anything else. They of course told him to come to the lot, mentioned that the white 458 in the back has keys in it and to please take it out and trash it. Not like he trespassed, found a car that was awaiting servicing and drove away with it while everyone was busy. Yet gets a check for a new Audi.

anunakki and thorn like this.
  2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The dealership doesn’t have to care about his business. They have more customers waiting in the wings to buy a car from them. Insurance paid out the value of the used car. They could sue for any difference. Why they didn’t is a good question if their complaint valid.

anunakki likes this.
  3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    If that's the case, then they could have bought another 458. IE, buying the Lamborghini wasn't due to a lack of funds.

I suspect the OP wants us to feel that they lost a Corvette and could only afford a Prius with the settlement... that's why I've asked what the settlement was, and they've ignored the question.

But again, hope they are enjoying the Lamborghini. Now, put down the internet and go driving. :)

4. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    To clarify it would appear that the Dealer's insurance picked up the tab for this incident. As I mentioned previously, the bailment created by dropping it off for service put the liability on the California Dealer to secure the car regardless of what the fine print on the service agreement might say.

I don't know what was said between the vehicle owner and the insurance company. The dealership did at their cost provide the owner a new California for 3 weeks. I'm a little fuzzy on when the car was recovered versus when it was stolen. Presuming that the car was recovered during the 3 week period, I'm sure the Dealership's insurance company offered to repair the car to "new" condition. This would have been the easiest path for all involved and I would have expected the Dealer to kick in a loaner car for the repair period. They could have also "given away" a few years of extended maintenance which would cost them very little.

If the car was not recovered during the three week period, then it became a discussion of how much the owner would get for the car. The owner wanted what they payed for the car even though its actual insurance value was $60k less. That is a battle the owner cannot win in California. I doubt that even in California: a rich person claiming emotional distress about a two year old "family heirloom" being taken from them would carry the day in a jury trial. More likely they would lose and add the cost of litigation to the depreciation calculated on the car.

What happened between the owner and the Dealer is unfortunate but frankly I haven't heard the Dealer's side of what happened when the car was stolen and when it was recovered.

paulchua likes this.
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #105 thorn, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Customer went to dealer on Oct 19 to pick up car; appears theft occurred on Oct 17/18. Car was recovered by police on Nov 1.

And indeed, the car was completely trashed. Vomit in the car, evidence of meth usage, significant interior and body damage... there's no reason to believe engine wasn't redlined and thrashed beyond all belief. I would have demanded the insurance payout as well.

And then would have purchased another 458. The dealer currently has 5 in stock, btw. She didn't want to work with that particular dealer, but there are many other 458s for sale in America. She could have purchased one if she indeed got a $280K settlement.

anunakki likes this.
  6. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Then what's the problem? Drive the Lambo more and move on. Life is not fair and that is the reality. You're an entitled jackass and wants sympathy because of your loss, whatever that might be. You're trolling, get a life and move on.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You can't replace a well kept well cared for car with another "equivalent" used car becUse some trade car probably led a very different life.

Nor are ferrari by their own account just a car comapany so they need to behave appropriately.

Since the 458 is no longer In production they should have given a great deal o anew 488. Instead they offered no deal.
    Maybe a great deal would have cost the owner some extra but at least it working with them

4th_gear and Ron328 like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The car is not worth $260K, if she got that much she is ahead of the game by a lot.

anunakki likes this.
  9. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Agree on the insurance payout, the victim shouldn't have expected to be paid out for depreciation.

The bigger point is that it does sound like FoNB has not been the most pleasant to deal with -- the victim's attitude isn't a excuse, we'd all be extremely pissed if this happened to us. I'm not a FoNB customer currently, but I'd never patronize them after this incident. This is a big screw up and shouldn't just be swept under the rug and forgotten.

Stentboy and Susan Friedman like this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I dont think your family should be taken into consideration, you shouldn't be treated differently than anyone else. If I owned the dealership I would do anything within reason to make you whole but I get the feeling that no matter what they offer you will not be happy and perhaps they realized this and have moved on. I have had to deal with unreasonable customers, you get to the point where you say screw it this person is never going to be satisfied so you cut bait. They made a mistake but it is a car not the life of a person. Perhaps you step back and put things in perspective and be thankful that it wasn't something worse like you getting car jacked and by these nuts and God knows what.

m5shiv likes this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    But this 458 was "special" and a 488 replacement even at a discount would not make the customer whole.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Tell that to someone who had a loved one taken from them in a criminal activity.

Nothing will make you whole again. Nothing in life is fair. We do the best we can and move on.

Who is REALLY at fault here? It's the criminals. The dealership should have done a better job in preventing it but the criminals are the ones who did this, not them.

That doesn't make them guiltless. It just puts the blame where it really is.

Ron328 and anunakki like this.
  13. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I am still trying to figure out what made it the car so "special".

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    1) read my previous post
    2) I was obviously being sarcastic in this comment.

Come on now Mayor... :)

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1. Nobody gives a hoot. Anyone who thinks that they should be treated special because their family member did ______ is in for a rude awakening. Guy who works at the cellphone store whose great-great-great grandfather was The Duke of Winchester should get a free cell phone charger and be treated any differently than that guy over there? IIRC "the niece" is an IP attorney. Really winning the races for Ferrari and then dumping them at a moments notice for Lambo. Cause history means so much...

My interpretation is that my lost luggage had Gap T-shirts that suddenly became precious lost heirloom T-shirts blessed by the Dalai Llama the moment the luggage was misplaced.

anunakki likes this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Nothing, thats the point. It was a white 458. There are literally more than 1000. I would be upset as well but heck I would use it as an opportunity to buy another car but thats just me.

anunakki likes this.
  17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Didn't Justin Beiber have one like it? ;) Beliebers will do strange things to be like him.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I wasn't being critical with you. You had a point that I think the OP hasn't realized.

I hate to say these are "1st world problems" but to some degree, you have to put things into their real perspective. For example, how awful would it have been if these criminals ran a red light at 100mph and killed kids going to school that day. It sure could have happened with nutcases / druggies like these in a car like that. Would the OP feel pretty bad about that? I bet he would. But the family of those kids will never recover.

anunakki likes this.
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Exactly.

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Dude..........its a freaking Heirloom Ferrari !!!!!

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    As my uncle used to say, “white people problems”

this person originally tried to say it wasnt about the money, it was about it being an heirloom. then they buy a lambo and suddenly the ferrari sucks. Well that says everything you need to know about them.

this was simply a case,of someone hoping to make some profit off an insurance claim

22. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/endowment-effect.asp
    pretty sure Mayor and SURGEON do not work for the dealer.
    they don't even live in the same state

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Way2fast likes this.
  24. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    so you are happy that you got the Lambo instead?
    in other words, didn't the dealer in fact do you a favor by accidentally got the 458 stolen and paid out the value of the car. Therefore, you now have, in your own words, a marque that has superior technology to the dated ones in the Ferrari.
    why you mad then??

anunakki likes this.
  25. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    yeah but not if you do the commute in a Ferrari, even a low-tech 458.