Ferrari is the worse brand ! Ferrari Stolen From Newport ! | Page 6 | FerrariChat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I would commute in a Lambo but the towing charges would kill me. :)

Way2fast likes this.
  2. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    side question: Wasnt there another Ferrari, I think 488, that was stolen from the service center at Ferrari SF recently? It was also found at a gas station when the thief was asking for gas money wonder what the resolution was for that one....

All these meth heads running around CA stealing ferraris!!

3. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    no... this thread is about that Ferrari.
    resolution is in post 1.

4. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Mothers lock up your daughters! You are correct!

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/06/13/stolen-ferrari-san-rafael-georgia-man-arrested/

However, the SF car was merely a 2016 488 worth $245,000 (per the article). Here we have a 2015 458 heirloom worth $340,000, according to the OP.

On the positive side, at least California meth heads have class and taste (even if they don’t have gas money).

308 milano likes this.
  5. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I stand corrected.
    Wow, this is way too common.
    Btw, anyone can point me to a $245K 488? :)

6. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
  7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think I sort of understand what OP wants/wanted. He wanted some sort of gesture. I don't know if the dealer offered one, or one that made sense.

However I can understand OPs disappointment. His car that he/family treasured is no more. And per op, the dealer handled the post event situation as a car rental agency would have.

If this happened to anyone who cherished their Ferrari and the dealer offered $5k off a California or msrp on a new 488, you would be as upset as OP.

Dealer should have put in the effort and not some b.s. discount on a California (which dealer probably can't move since portofino is coming..).

Yes it's the criminal faults but the dealer negligence made it possible.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    We don't know what happened at the Ferrari dealership IIRC. Did the perp dress like a dealership employee and walk into the service area? Were they so busy in the service area that nobody noticed him come in or walk in back? It sounds like.. and I wasn't there.. that they left the keys in it while they were moving it around back on their property. I'm not so quick to blame a dealer. While I agree when you trust your car with someone they *should* have processes in place to protect it and they're responsible on some level for its care, we don't know what really happened.

I know a lot of knuckleheads :) that keep the keys to their cars IN their cars while they're stored in their garage at home, some might have them hanging nearby.
    You're saying if someone breaks in or walks in while you have the garage door open and getting mail and drives off with the car.. the owner is at fault or "negligent"? No. If you don't have permission to be driving a car it's theft until proven otherwise, the responsibility is on the perp. :)

9. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    The OP wanted more than a “gesture”. They wanted $340k (as set out in post #43).

As a great American philosopher (Clint Eastwood) once said: “A man’s got to know his limitations.” Clearly the OP did not here.

As previously stated in this thread, you have to negotiate on a reasonable basis. You cannot seriously negotiate with a dealer on the basis that they should pay you the new price for a used 458. They will immediately know you are nuts and impossible to deal with and simply call it a day and move on.

The OP obviously failed Negotiations 101. You start with something high but in the ballpark. For public relations purposes the dealer would then have its insurance pay the fair market value and would throw in a sweetener to make everyone happy. But the dealer won’t bother if they think you are insane and they never will be able to make you happy (on a reasonable basis).

So now the OP is mad because they blew the negotiations. Lesson learned.

thorn and italiafan like this.
  10. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Breaking in into your house is different than someone walking in the dealer lot or service dept as it is expected to have much more foot traffic than in someone's house, esp one that is locked or closed.

But even then, I was told many times that I couldn't walk the service area for insurance reason, even at dealerships where I serviced my car. So it seems here the dealer here messed up by letting someone they didn't know wander around. 100% their fault.

4th_gear likes this.
  11. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

It seems he wanted $340k but was also turned off by how little the dealer was willing to offer as a form of apology. No discount on a new car and 5k on a Cali T after the negligence that caused your special car to be ruined is a spit on the face.

How many guys here have specced their Ferraris exactly how they want so much so that there is no equal car and if that model is no longer being made, then how do you replace it? With a run of the mill red 458? I don't think so.

Sure insurance should not give him msrp regardless of how special the car is/was to his eyes (unless he had agreed value on it), but that is where the dealer should have bridged the gap. Maybe not with an $80k check but certainly more than $5k off a Cali T (which is probably not out of pocket money for the dealer).

12. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Maybe the insurance company (person's own insurance company) wanted to fix the car and they said NO. This is what seems the likely scenario to me. You don't have a car of this value without agreed value insurance.

In the OP posting and the other one in Vancouver it seemed that in both cases the owners wanted to dealers to feel pain and couldn't fathom that dealers would make money on them in the proposed deal. In the Vancouver situation the dealer was willing to buy the person's 430 but were going to turn around and sell it for a higher amount, which seemed to make the owner more mad.

It sucks this happened but in this case the dealer was trying to make amends but looks like the OP was being unreasonable in the solution they wanted. Also, a lot of this comes down to what insurance companies want to do with the situation.

13. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    +1

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Based on the fact that the OP has now purchased a Lamborghini - Do I take it that all Lamborghini dealerships in the USA have armed guards keeping an eye on the cars at the dealership, including in the service area? :confused:

And should anything happen to a two year old Lamborghini whilst at the dealership, do I take it that Lamborghini Dealerships will automatically give you the original MSRP rather than the current (depreciated) market value of the car? :confused:

Maybe I'm being a bit naive here, but I can't help suspecting that, had this incident involved a Lamborghini at a Lamborghini dealership, then it would have been dealt with in pretty much the exact same manner as it was dealt with by the Ferrari dealership.

It's also quite funny to read how, according to the OP, the technology in the Lamborghini is so far in advance of Ferrari's, and how the Lamborghini kicks the 458's "ass" ! (I'm struggling to recall a single test or review of the 458 that described it as being a car with outdated technology, that gets it's arse handed to it by the equivalent Lamborghini!)

TBH, this all comes across to Me as the OP having completely unrealistic expectations of what the dealership should have done for them (especially the: "I was never going to sell My car so it was still worth the original MSRP from 2 years ago" part!), and being slightly delusional as to how important they are in the grand scheme of things, and how "special" there car was.

As I say, I seriously doubt that any other dealership, be they a Ferrari dealership, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren or whoever, would have handled it any differently!

anunakki and RonH like this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

My take.
    I had a bad experience myself with ferrari of central florida and i can relate.
    I do also sense entitlement because of your family heritage or cost of your prized possession .
    That being said; although it is fully right to feel the way you do; insurances work differently and unless the car was insured for $340k you will not get that money. Sad but true.

Trashing ferrari for lamborghini is silly. Sorry but in every single test the 488 is faster than the lambo.
    Lastly if Lamborghini was that great they would not be a glorified Audi which they are. The engine is no less the one of a R8; great car though.
    Wishing you well in settling your ordeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Just the op's tone and demeanor of posts would indicate to me that they might be somewhat difficult to negotiate with. Generally, I have found that a reasonable, professional approach yields better results than throwing tantrums.

And I think, the op doesn't really understand that to the rest of the world, their "heirloom" is just a depreciating asset. To the dealer, and insurance company, this was a business transaction. Understanding the other side and their motivation usually results in more successful negations.

Natkingcolebasket69 and anunakki like this.
  18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I got you.. my point is.. we don't know how "meth dude" got into the service area. You're assuming that some guy just walked in and took the car. That might have happened. OTOH.. if you put on clothes that the repair techs wear and happen to then sneak in when the door is ajar to the service area.. that's not just strolling in. That's all I'm saying here. I've been burned with my assumptions and presumptions with these cases posted here. With what's been reported you seem to be correct, but we've only heard one side of the story...

19. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I could pass the keys to any of my friends who haven't driven an exotic car and they wouldn't even know how to put the ferrari's in gear. They would just be sitting there trying to figure out how to put it into drive. It's not intuitive to upshift to get the car into drive.

20. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Oh lord, what a read.

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    i guarantee you I wouldnt be anywhere near as mad and i think you know that ;)

22. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I don't know why I wasted so much time reading this thread.

23. Benignetti-Scarfiotti

BANNED

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Has The Worst Customer Service !
    It all boils down to Customer Service and Ferrari Newport Beach's Customer Service Sucks, and so does Ferrari as a Brand !

24. Enzo91

Enzo91 Rookie

Aug 11, 2016
    I remember when this story broke and I felt really bad for the OP that had her car stolen. I thought the dealership was not being fair to her and they should have done more to make things right. That is until I started reading this thread and realized what a childish, unreasonable, entitled person OP is. I have dealt with angry customers enough to know that her behavior is most likely why she isn't getting what she wanted and why the dealership isn't bending over backwards to help her. The whole "do you know who my uncle is?" comment really showed her true colors. In every exchange she posted (so that is the story being told by her that paints her in the most favorable possible light) I ended up feeling bad for the dealer. And the "I switched to Lambo and they are so much better than Ferrari anyways" comment just made her sound like a petty child.

Natkingcolebasket69 and anunakki like this.
  25. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't believe there many if any personal auto insurance companies offering "market value" what ever that is. There is usually three values - stated value which is the lesser of the value stated at the time of the loss or actual cash value (ACV); ACV which is what a similar equipped, similar maintained and used (mileage) would sell for at the time of loss or damage or Agreed Value which is the value of a total loss to the vehicle as agreed by the owner and insurance company at the time of purchase of the insurance contract.

The Fcar dealer's garage keepers legal liability insurance is ONLY required to pay the owner of a vehicle damaged or stolen from the dealer's custody legal liability which is usually determined to be ACV. If the customer gets any more $$$ than ACV this is an accomidation to the customer. Like any business if the dealer or garage pays or offers more than their insurance companies settlement amount that is a further accomidation - like the use of a Cali Fcar for 20 days which they were not legally required to do.

My guess that while the dealer was very sorry to have had OP's car stolen and that's why they offered the loaner at all, in the end they felt that they would never be able to make OP happy so turned the matter over to their insurance carrier assuming the customer relations were a lost cause and decided to move on with business.

While I can completely understand OP's position, he might have gotten a better settlement had he reacted less outraged to the dealer. Yes I know that would be hard to do but as the saying goes "more flies are caught by honey than vinegar". I have seen claimants charm more $$$$ out of insurance claims adjusters than by threatening or bashing them also asking for the dealership's help when dealing with their insurance companies loss adjuster. IMHO I could be wrong?