Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 165 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    McLaren certainly did not discover that. I'll refrain from the use of a winking smiley here but they are clearly quite pleased with the performance of the P1.

I think Ferrari should be able to comfortably slide in under 7:00 as well if they actually have a go at it. I don't think from the video we have seen so far that they are really trying for a lap time. Not every lap of the Ring is a hot one, it is a pretty effective place to test.

>8^)
    ER

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    So if McLaren P1 did the secret blitz lap they are posturing in effect like, "Yeah we did a super fast lap time, but you know it's not really about that because we're too cool". They're really going Hollywood with this. :)

3. Maggio23

Maggio23 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2013
    Don't feed the troll

4. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It's not as far fetched as one might think. Read the Car & Driver article about their efforts to do instrumented testing on a Ferrari F50 over one year after its release.

Scans are available via these links but they are a bit on the small side.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/927/221lq.jpg

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9306/402wo.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9767/723p.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4877/874p.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3773/155k.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3976/836j.jpg

>8^)
    ER

5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I'd take an F50 over an F1 any day of the week. That thing has never looked better.

6. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    ...and its unsafe...despite them doing it anyway.

7. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    One of my favorite articles of all time! Love when they say Evans was either driving or on the phone. I don't recall too many people having cell phones in 1997.

Acceleration is very respectable for a car with so little power at low RPM. I find the F50 very fast, but you gotta keep the revs up!

8. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Does that include putting the car on corner scales ? :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

9. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Good for you. :cool:

Look, I realize you are childishly looking for any opportunity to take a shot at me but it matters not whether you or anyone else likes something more than the McLaren F1. I think diversity is a good thing.

For the record, I also happen to think the F50 is a fantastic supercar and if there was never a McLaren F1 it would easily be my favorite car. Just keep the roof on, is all I ask.

>8^)
    ER

10. giacomodiroma

giacomodiroma Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 11, 2013
    #4110 giacomodiroma, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    These thread are so funny, I can not stop laughing!

For example,

Now dear Luque, this is beginning of the end for Ferrari if this is like they now think. 10 more years like this and they are to be in problems, only for the show off. Ferrari does no more mean top performance sport machines? Why? Hehehe, you are funny!

Poor subirg, so Ferrari don't have anything to prove??? Maybe because they cannot prove anything? Mclaren didn't deliver what, below 7 minutes? Hehehe, you are funny to!

Modena, Mark is connected to Mclaren P1 engineering, more respect for him please. Mclaren finded 375 buyers already, the their goal. Now more people want one but it is to late for them. Mclaren failed miserably at the Ring? Please inform us what exactly is this miserable time? You to are funny.

Yes, they do it. But it is dangerous for a 918 or LaFerrari to try to go fast as a race/road machine on the Nurburgring. You are not funny, sorry no insult but accidents are a very serious subject.

11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Dude you are becoming a bit maniacal now. Relax.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Giacomo always deliver for nonsense funny posts.

13. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    I am amazed by such a clear vision of the automobile industry.
    Ferrari sells cars for 65 years and without set any record at the Nurburgring.
    So ten years are just passed .... some other illuminating sentences from your side ?

Luque

14. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Mark could be Ron Dennis for all I care, it wouldn't change a thing. McLaren's original production goal was 500, which they failed to reach so they settled for 375 and the fan-boys here are trying to put a stupid spin on it going through the exact phrasing with a fine tooth comb to find any vague, indirect terms to suggest that they wouldn't build 500. And yes, McLaren failed miserably at the Ring. They went there, they tested and they didn't not achieve the time they set out for. If they did, they would have told us.

I don't believe a word regarding any claims from McLaren because McLaren don't like telling the cold, hard truth when it comes to these things.

15. scorpio5

scorpio5 Karting

Nov 30, 2007
    A lot has changed in 65 years. Enzo Ferrari was convinced that Aerodynamics and disc brakes were the devils work. Aren't you glad Ferrari left that kind of ridiculous thinking behind?

16. scorpio5

scorpio5 Karting

Nov 30, 2007
    Oh, the irony in that coming out of a Ferrari fans' mouth.

17. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    #4117 Luque, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    Absolutely.
    There are people thinking the last real ferrari is the F40 because still conceived under Enzo Ferrari.
    I don't think so.

Luque

18. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    Oh oh oh
    Finally a LaFerrari arrived in my plant ...

19. giacomodiroma

BANNED

Apr 11, 2013
    You are writing this comment with a serious attitude Luque? Tell me please you are still trying to be funny.

Yes, I have many more illuminating sentences for you.

Ferrari LaFerrari can accelerate from 0-300kph in 15 seconds (ok, Ferrari actually say sub 15 seconds).

Ferrari LaFerrari weigh 1255 kilo dry.

You feel better illuminated now?

Or like WTF?

More: 10 years from now Ferrari will be like Mike Tyson, once great, now a punching bag for McLaren, Porsche, Audi, Bugatti, Pagani, etcetera. Maybe Caterham to. Why? Because Ferrari will rely on there reputation, not the hunger to be the best sports and performance machine in the world. So donot forget, if it is the fun driving feeling they want, there are many fun machines to drive. Top performance cars, very few my friend. Dangerous marketing target for them to follow…you are familiar with the english word "poser"?

20. giacomodiroma

BANNED

Apr 11, 2013
    Modena, you must try harder to make us believe you are petrol-headed.

McLaren original production goal 500? You read this somewhere? Where? Please use copy and paste keys on your computer from where you read this. Please, I am serious and I beg you.

They fail to reach 500? Yes, also they fail to reach 5000. Why? Because they want maximum exclusivity and for sure this volume at the price they establish
    gain them much money. You understand the english word 'economics'?

Mclaren tested at the Ring, did not achieve the target time, or else they would have told us? They would have told us? For what reason they must tell us? For people like you later not to believe them? To say 'impossible' or 'that is sorcery'? To cause 918 and LaFerrari development team to go next year to the ring to fight for their pride and honour? To tempt the physic law with a machine that is not 100% conditioned for racing? I believe Mclaren maked such a fantastic time that they realise that any manufacturer who try to better this time can be in grave danger for their driver and reputation. You understand the english word 'responsibility"?

21. giacomodiroma

BANNED

Apr 11, 2013
    Plant? You see this LaFerarri? Is this plant a marijuana plant?

22. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You're right, instead they just deliver cars on time for real owners to verify on their own.

10 P1s already in customers hands. Doubt all you want, we'll surely see cars reviewed and tested long before a customer's ass even graces the seat of a production LF.

You really think McLaren is going to BS the performance of the P1 when so many are going to people who will have no problem actually testing them?

23. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have never got my knickers in a wad over Nring times but have always felt the Mclaren will probably be the quickest car out there, regardless. Do not underestimate them, although the way they have handled it is pathetic.

In effect, Ferrari now have the easiest job as they know what they are shooting at, how the competition performs and they are yet to deliver a customer car so they can continue tweaking.

Wouldn't it be great to get a P1 Fiorano time?

24. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    McLaren P1 Limited to 500 at $1.2 Million Each
    McLaren P1 limited to 500 units, to cost around 1.2M USD
    New details of McLaren P1: also limited to 500 units

*Also refer to the quote below

You can stop begging now Giaco :)

And are you actually saying that the McLaren's P1 time is so incredible that disclosing it would be irresponsible as it is so fast that anyone that tries to beat it would end up paying for it with their lives? I've heard it all now, you McLaren fan boys are ****ing delusional, I've never come across such bull****.

McLaren tried to break the Ring record and failed miserably. Porsche tried to break it and succeeded. No excuses, no false claims, just a record time and proof of it.

25. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Who said I was a Ferrari fan? The real irony here is that I'm actually a McLaren fan, my favourite car ever is the F1. I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm as much a fan of Ferrari as I am of Porsche and Lamborghini. The P1 is an absolutely amazing car, I don't doubt that for 1 second, but it's not as amazing as Ron Dennis told us it would be and their recent failure at the Ring is nothing short of a PR disaster. I'm sure the new P1 owners will be happy with their cars though, as a recent survey from EVO magazine found that P1 owners in particular don't care at all about lap times, be it the Nurburgring or Dunsfold.