Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    That P1 looks really amazing.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    In real life it's very cool. The interior is roomy and there's enough room for a helmet.

Visibility is very good and the fenders are cut so you can see apexes. The driver 's position is pushed to the center line a lot.

Several FChatters are getting one. Should be a track monster.

4. Meb10

Meb10 Karting

Sep 25, 2011
    #54 Meb10, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Try the mclaren p1 apple app. Here is a virtual p1 sitting on my iPad. They have just updated it with smoother movement and more detail.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    One probably needs to be a current F1 owner and or MP4-12C owner to get a P1 allocation I would imagine? No?

6. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Not entirely the case. There is some vetting being done of interested parties but they aren't excluding people who have not previously owned a McLaren solely for that reason at this point. I know someone with a P1 deposit who would not qualify if that were the case and in discussions I've had with the right people, I was assured he would not be excluded on that basis.

To your point, owning an SLR might help as well as McLaren do consider those people their customers too.

>8^)
    ER

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    what need is there to fill in a torque gap when modern turbos have flat torque curves from as low as 2000rpm to redline? i have to drive it but KERS just doesnt appeal to me intuitively...

8. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    McLaren will sell a P1 to anyone that is willing to pay the asking price.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If anyone wants one I can put you in touch and you can get one. This one is the real deal.

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Good sales policy - Customers will not need to beg for one - First come first served :)

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Here's the reason. P1 has HUGE turbo's that produce HUGE HP but have a lot of lag. KERS fills in the lag. This is a good use of KERS. On P 4/5 C we use KERS the same way. To fill in torque lag before petrol engine spools up and produces torque. Driving a KERS car is fantastic.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's interesting but it seems like it's very tricky to balance. There's so many variables. It might work great on the track but on the street?

Would you drive you 4/5 on the street if you could? Do you think it would work as a normal car with kers fighting off turbo lag?

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Of course it would. P 4/5 C KERS is fine on the street. Not tricky at all. When you want to accelerate hard floor petrol engine and activate KERS for about 4 seconds. Shift without lifting throttle.

At The Ring we developed a program that triggers KERS automatically when you accelerate out of turn from a GPS signal.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    But it's not kinda jerky when the turbos spool and then the kers cuts off. It seems like if you're in a corner when that happens, it could be unsettling. You're increasing power in one and then terminating the other.

Maybe I'm overly thinking it but it seems like there's so many variables, it would have to have some downside. It might not be a downside in performance but it could be "odd". I don't know how linear you can control the Kers output as the batteries drain so quickly or if they are not fully charged when you need them. In a straight line... yes. In a turn as you wait for the turbos to spool.... I'm not sure.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #65 Napolis, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    They are always fully charged when you need them. At the Ring we get 50 seconds of free torque (50KW) per 8:30 second lap (NS+GP) in 4 second bursts exactly when we need it recharged just from braking. There no jerk at all at transition simply a very smooth instant full torque from 0 RPM.

Think about it this way. The 599XX has a LOT more HP that we do but we're a LOT faster around the NS. Instant torque is the KEY. The P1 will be a monster at the Ring. I bet around 6:55 on the NS.

16. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Yes its a good policy. Think about it -- I have absolutely ZERO chance of getting an F70, despite having owned 2 F40s, an F50, Stradale, 575, 2 458s etc.. NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER. In fact I was told if I buy an Enzo, I could *possibly* make it to a 'list', which is still no guarantee. So pay 1.5 mil for a car I don't want so I can pay ANOTHER 1.5(+?) mil for the car I do want but probably wont get anyway. Riiiiighhht.. Or I can call McLaren and order a P1 and be done with it. Driving-wise, the cars will be so closely competitive (or at least insofar as my ability to use them) that if 1 is .5 seconds faster at the ring than the other, its no matter to me either way.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    True! Then again, Ferrari can afford to treat its customers like that due to demand and the myth. I am sure that if McLaren could do the same, they would!

18. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Supply and demand!

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141930960&postcount=194

As my friend John sang:

"Instant Karma gonna get you"

20. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    What does Karma have to do with this????

McLaren will sell the car to anyone as they must do so as the demand is not to big.....you said so yourself. Ferrari has been choosing who it sells these cars to for as long as I have been around and they will keep doing so.

Of all people someone in finance should know this well:supply and demand is what makes the market go.

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I big to differ weather McLaren would do the same.
    No other manufacturer does what Ferrari does for customer allocation.

22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    YOLO go for the P1 :)

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Spending a fortune to double your manufacturing capacity.

Currently running at 70% of that.

Producing less than demand.

Brilliant.

24. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    McLaren hope to build and sell 500 P1's - key word being "hope". Will 500 people be willing to pay $1MM for this new McLaren? Not likely, but McLaren hope so.

Ferrari will build ~500 F70's and sell every single one of them without even trying. If they really wanted they could sell 1,000 of them at double the price of the McLaren. That's the way the market is.

To be fair McLaren should be happy about this situation as a lot of their P1 customers will undoubtedly be the same people that just can't get on the list for the F70.

25. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    This might come as a surprise to you but McLaren don't exactly have 500 people queuing up to buy their new car.
    There you have it. If ANYONE wants a McLaren P1 they can get one. Same goes for Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Pagani, Lamborghini, etc.
    To summarize - you'll be getting a P1 because you can't get on the list for an F70. Given the choice between a P1 and an F70, you'd take the F70.