Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    P1 is your best option:)

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mike's comment:

"There's a fresh generation of suckers out there and I'm not part of that group anymore."

really does.

3. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    Because they have done that in the past and it blew in their hands when the market when down in the late 80's (most of their cars were terrible then though...) Now they want to expand "slowly" and especially in new markets. They don't want to use this extra capacity to fill the usual US, German, UK markets as the "difficulty" of buying a Ferrari is a big part of the appeal for a LOT of people....

I know you are not feeling it but they have never made this much money and they have never been in such good financial health. Do you feel that? ;-)

We know you have a HUGE gripe with them for many reasons (some of them we know and probably many others we don't) but I think you shouldn't forget that if it wasn't for them you would never have made your P4/5 ;-)

4. DLC

DLC Karting

Feb 22, 2008
    Upstate New York
    Full Name:
    David
    + 1

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah know, that's fine.

One man's "sucker" is another man's "life long dream". There's need to spoil it for them. We all choose our paths.

Too much vinegar on the best salad will ruin the taste. :)

6. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
  7. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    How about 250 units, €2m a piece, number plaque in the car "007" etc. In other words a (fairly) strict 250. Not the usual 1 of 399 cough cough.

8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Then how do you choose which of the previous buyers get one ?

9. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Public auction the build slots. Let the market determine their value. And Ferrari can keep all the money. That would prevent a large majority of flippers.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hey if your life long dream is to buy an F70 buy one.

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #111 Napolis, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    I'd rather have Ferrari than flippers keep the money as well. Personally I'd make about 600 and price them at 1.5 MM Euro's. That's where I think the market for this one is today.

As an aside when I met with JT at the factory in 06 he asked me about pricing and I sent him data on how many F430's and 599's were being flipped and at what price. They raised the price on both a bit, about 25K as I remember it. 25K on 2K units isn't the worse thing that ever happened to them.

Getting back on track which is what this thread is about.

The 918's Ring time of 7:14 was from a standing start so I now see a time of about 7:09 for the 918.

My guess after seeing P1 and speaking to them (They made no estimates but did seem confident that P1 will be very fast) is 6:55.

I think the F70 will be about 7:05.

It will be interesting to see.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Why arent we including the Pagani Huayra?

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually it isn't. I've run my course I think and will probably go back classic. But, the discussion of the car should relate to the car, not someone's personal animosity.

I can dislike a particular movie actor for their personal beliefs and still appreciate their talent.

14. mpowered

mpowered Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2008
    United States
    Full Name:
    You Know Me
    Well i think personally it's at a different level, not inferior, just different.
    The pagani should be compared to the koenigsegg agera r. they're more of hyper cars with better build quality from boutique automakers. but don't listen to me i don't know anything haha.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I was watching the EVO car of the year video and it hit me that the Pagani is 1m Euros but offers less HP than a F12. I know it's more than that but still..In that video, you can see how the MP4 12 can keep up with the Pagani on the track.

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Something no one has mentioned is that the 918 has 4wd and 4ws which is in my opinion the ideal setup.
    I quite dislike Porsches but I think this choice will give them a good advantage at the ring, even if at the expenses of lightness.
    Old gt-r anyone?

17. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Widely reported the P1 will be LHD only. I find it hard to understand why they won’t do both left and right set up’s, if that really is the case. Sure the four Ferrari supercars have all been LHD (as they left the Ferrari factory) to date, probably F70 also. But Mclaren are British!

Be odd if Ferrari makes the F70 available with RHD and Mclaren don’t with the P1.

18. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK

Very annoying!

19. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Napolis! Could you elaborate please? This is really VERY VERY interesting!

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You have to compare apples and apples.

KERS can be used to fill in torque and provide more performance but it weighs something and that something depends on how much battery life you build into it.

In racing at the Ring you can generate about 50 seconds of boost by recapturing energy that would otherwise be lost in creating brake heat over a full lap.

On the road as there's much less braking you'll have to generate most battery charge from the petrol engine.

The government regulations that measure cafe are complex and by using KERS Ferrari can claim a big CO reduction and better mileage. Porsche has taken it a step futher by having so much battery life and enabling those batteries to be charged at Home that it's cafe is
    90mpg+.

In the beginning KERS is driven by emissions and MPG. The P1 and the F70 systems are still performance orientated but the most efficient use performance wise is McLaren's in that it allows a lighter TTV8 with huge trubo's and KERS to eliminate Turbo lag that huge turbos cause.

Personally I hope that all of these manufactures really test these systems (Porsche has built over 20 test 918's) as they are complex and having a local dealer service them may be interesting.

This will give you an idea about what's involved:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/dc32af6f#/dc32af6f/10

21. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    I heard there's only one (1) 918 order from CA. I wonder if that's true.

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  23. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Doesn't seem possible. There's somone on another Fourm who has a few bugattis and a koenisegg agera who has one ordered. I doubt he's the only one in the whole state to order one.

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #124 Napolis, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    He's looking back for the position of second best.