Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 605 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Speed Demon 1

Speed Demon 1 Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2009
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    SS
    progression from "forbidden love" to "forbidden threesome"

2. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #15102 treynor, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    I can agree the LaF is nicer to look at then the Enzo, however I don't think it is a beautiful car. I keep thinking of a cyborg whenever I see it with the doors open. Maybe with time the futuristic look will work...

4. Speed Demon 1

Speed Demon 1 Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2009
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    SS
    lol! Indeed it is! Congrats on your new cars Treynor! Please share some driving impressions with us!

5. perrm

perrm Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2010
    Canberra, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey Ben,

firstly, nice collection of cars. It's great to see a car guy doing what a car guy loves!

You've confused me a bit though, 'cause I was taken by Peter's TDF LaF, but your Giallo Tristrato LaF is amazing as well. The colour really pops! If I had the choice, it would be a truly hard decision.

Anyway - I have a couple of quick questions for you if I may. I know that you've had seat time in the 918, and obviously the P1 and now the LaF as well. I saw that you weighed the P1, coming in at 1547kg with a full tank . Have you done same for LaF yet, and if so, what are the numbers?

Also, as far a walking into the garage, which one do you 'spot' first? That is, which one is it that makes the heart skip a little beat and makes you want to put some more seat time into it?

Lastly, now that you've driven all three, (and we're all still waiting on some hard numbers!!!), from both a drive hard and a "just get in it and putt around town" point of view, which one do you prefer?

Cheers.

6. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    Thanks a lot!
    ... Any chance about vBox sheets?!? :)

7. ScuderiaCarParts

BANNED

Feb 8, 2013
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Car Parts
    #15107 ScuderiaCarParts, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
  9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    He believes the F1 could also cure cancer and fix Obamacare.

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    ... down a cliff!

11. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    #15112 Zaius, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    LaFerrari uses an exotic motor the v12, 918 and P1 use turbo v8's. That closes the case for me alone. An exotic by it's very definition needs to have something rare as a powerplant.

I also like how Ferrari implements the electric motor for a major performance boost instead of eco driving.

12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Right there with you, and of course I quite love that car.

I do look forward to him doing something new - not sure if he has the budget and backing to pick a proper fight in the hypercar realm, but maybe I am wrong.

>8^)
    ER

14. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    #15115 kandi, Jan 6, 2015
    McLaren status:
    F1 >, ...future maccas ,> P1 > ...

Amen.

Gordon Murray is a living constructor legend.

The F1 ,IMO, is the only one McLaren looking amazing by the LaFerrari. (And its price on those days was also staggering and it still is)
    If I had to complete my garage it would look like that :
    288 GTO, F40, McLaren F1, Enzo, Bugatti Veyron, and now LaFerrari .

15. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    From that article he comes across a living legend with an inflated ego (sadly not uncommon). Apply some realistic reasoning and approach and I'm sure he can craft greatness once again.

16. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    McLaren status:
    F1 >, ...future maccas ,> P1 > ...

Amen.

Gordon Murray is a living constructor legend.

The F1 ,IMO, is the only one McLaren looking amazing by the LaFerrari. (And its price on those days was also staggering and it still is)
    If I had to complete my garage it would look like that :
    288 GTO, F40, McLaren F1, Enzo, Bugatti Veyron, and now LaFerrari . Yeah I know Veyron looks fatty 'cheap' in comparison to those cars, but between Enzo and LaFe that were no one else's but Veyron's times.

17. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    #15118 kandi, Jan 6, 2015
    First, slightly off topic:
    An Artist is remembered from his greatest one work. If something can be replicable, art repeatable - it loses its status of the great idea. Great but not the art, the craftsmanship comes to mind.
    (If we need an example, wonder how would we appreciate Mona Lisa if da Vinci had painted two of them;),two variants.)

Saying this, I do not exact Murray to try to repeat that success. Neither I think we can transpose so simply the F1 to our current times. Many of things have changed. Even Ferrari had to go hybrid path. Who could have thought about electric motor in Ferrari - years ago?

The F1 was the greatest car of its time and its story has got an Amen at its end. The P1 unfortunately didn't repeat the story.
    And I have just kicked out Veyron from my list. I was thinking loud.

18. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Making LaF a hybrid was not something they had to do, it was something they chose to do. There were many proposals for the Enzo replacement, a smaller V8 powered concept was one of them. There is nothing negative about Ferrari going hybrid with LaF.

19. driftwithme

driftwithme Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    True, while i agree that people don't like change, change is always inevitable.

This is the day and age of hybrids. The three manufacturers have proved that hybrid tech is a powerful advantage.

20. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe

Precisely.

21. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    #15122 kandi, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    Of course it was their sane performance choice, remember that Ferrari had been working with KERS, HY-KERS with F1 motors and 599 prototype already and it(the technology) came evolved to LaFerrari with almost only benefits. (the cost of weight increase/hp they reduced to about 1:1, CoG retained low, etc.). So I didn't say they were forced to. Rather that, even Ferrari, considered a purists NA car, had to change. So IF the "McLaren F1" was considered to built nowadays it wouldn't be the same car as it was. Thank god G. Murray is a creative mind and he doesn't only look back to his former achievements for the rest of his life, but his idea of F1 as a real driver's racer car, I hope will live in its lightweight, nimble, fun to drive sports cars.

Now, the LaFerrari is the car of its time. :) And yes, it didn't bend to the ideas promoting the e-mode drive, and retained the magnificent V12 instead of V8 or turbo V8.
    For me, even not mentioning its performance, it's a clear winner. Same as the McLaren F1 was my winner of his times.

22. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Surprised some of you didn't catch this.

FWIW: 918 motor is not a turbo (if that's what you were saying).

And it can be argued, though it's not a V12, it's the most state of the art engine of the trio (as was agreed previously her, many moons ago), as a race derived, thoroughly modern, purpose built, 135 kilo, 132 HP per liter, 608 H, 9000+ rpm engine signifies.

And why would you dislike "ECO" benefits (your "instead of"), as long as it boost performance as well (i.e., you get both)?

23. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    The last time I had a nosey around a Veyron 'cheap' was not a word that sprang to mind.

24. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    The curse of the Veyron is the ridiculous maintenance scheme, which in turn has a negative effect on values. The Veyron is comparably "cheap" to purchase second hand because of its depreciation - the problems arise when you want to keep the thing running on the road. Suddenly you need a service and it's a $50,000 bill, not to mention the price of consumables like the tires....