Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 648 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Honestly, I don't think either would be materially quicker than the other. If I were a betting man, I'd say the difference in average speed on such roads would be a couple mph. I think each car would feel faster at different points and that without some sort of timing gear, you'd be pretty hard pressed to say which was faster and by how much.

I think these cars could so easily be driven so far beyond the speed limit that the difference would come down to just how daring you are to do such things.

I've been passed in the 12C by far lesser cars on roads that I just thought weren't safe or didn't want to get a ticket on. I think that's what happens in the real world between a 918 and a P1. Pretty much a wash.

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16177 noone1, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    The last 500 lbs separating road cars from race cars doesn't have much to do with the raw materials used for construction. Aside from the always-required safety equipment like airbags and such, no one will buy a car that is too bare bones. The amenities required to make the car even remotely tolerable and usable in the real world quickly contribute to a lot of weight.

Google race car interiors and you'll see what I mean. You're pretty much just sitting in a body shell on a bunch of moving parts. Exposed metal, wires, no passenger seat, no amenities whatsoever.

3. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #16178 MarkNC, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not only is this a meaningless test but it's somewhat dishonest to test a McLaren doing low-RPM acceleration in 7th gear against a 918 doing the same because the 918 isn't really in 7th gear. Only half the of the 918's drivetrain is in 7th gear. The front axle uses a fixed gear so it's essentially in 1st gear. If you turned off the front engine of the 918, so the car was genuinely in 7th gear for this idiotic, pointless test, it would be slower than the P1.

If you want to test rolling acceleration you should be driving through the proper gears to get the fastest result. In many of those cases the P1 is plenty up to the task against the 918, sometimes even faster. All this test does is show how good the fixed gear ratio front axle motor is at pulling the car. But you should have known that. It's one of the most positive features of your car. Apparently your "research" wasn't very good.

In 7th gear at low RPM the front axle motor of the 918 is delivering more torque than the gas engine which is pretty amazing! See Porsche's own chart below to illustrate that.

Whoopsy: this is the kind of thing that bugs me so much about your silly arguments and why I've now written you off as a source of truthful and honest discussion despite you actually owning one of these cars. Apparently your "research", despite owning a 918, is completely bogus.

Sorry if I'm being harsh but I feel very let down because I assumed someone successful enough to be able to buy the kinds of cars you have to be smart enough to know what they're talking about or at least be smart enough not to pretend to know what they're talking about. Some of your criticisms of the P1 sounded a little fishy and fanboy-ish but I just realized, in that last post of yours I replied to, that you have actually no clue what you're talking about.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Race mode wouldn't change anything. The P1 might be faster in this situation because canyon roads tend to have a lot of S-curves and the extra weight the 918 carries would have it pushed out into those curves so you'd likely lose speed there. My experience driving the 918 on track was that it didn't handle those kinds of direction quick changes well because of the weight but it sure was awesome at rocketing out of corners into straights!

Where the P1's race mode would probably put it ahead of 918 is at Spa. I think the P1 would probably win on the track at Spa simply because the P1 would catch the 918 on the run up to Eau Rouge, be flatter through Eau Rouge and toast the P1 on the very long Kessel straight where you'd be over 200 mph well before braking. There are so many high-speed corners there where P1's downforce and lower weight would be an advantage over 918 and I can only think of one or two corners where the 918 would have an advantage.

It would be interesting to see the two competing at VIR as well. That's my home track. 918 holds the lap record there but there hasn't been a P1 on the track yet. There are a lot of fast corners there and two nice long straights. I think it's well suited to the P1 but I've not tried it yet in the P1. Unfortunately I'm not brave enough to try to beat the 918's record myself or rich enough to lend my P1 to someone else to try it. If I had a fleet of P1s I'd let someone give it a go in my least favorite one but I only have one and I love it too much to risk it :)

5. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16180 unotaz, Feb 26, 2015
    I believe a C7 Z06 holds the record at VIR (2:41.3), which was driven by a GM factory driver (Jim Mero, same guy who set the C6 ZR1 N-Ring lap record). The 918 record at VIR (2.43.1) was driven by the Car and Driver journalist, so there were plenty of time left on the table.

I really hope there will be another comparison between the 918 and the P1 at GP tracks like Spa or Yas Marina. I have a friendly wager with a buddy of mine who owns a P1 (I actually sold my P1 allocation to him) over steak dinner. I have been making fun of his P1 over the recent on-track head to head comparisons and he is looking for revenge (hopefully soon)!

6. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    Wrong.
    I'll say it again - every spec parameter was announced as minimum. Until final specs were announced. They only changed the performance specs in 2013, not the power output.

You have the right to show me a documents, which proves otherwise, though... :)

7. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    So now we racing 7th gear lol.

Mbn

8. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    #16183 LMFAO, Feb 26, 2015
    Yep.

Can't do that without driving dangerously.

'Internet facts' which are firsthand testimony on telemetry data from the owner of the P1 used in the test, who also owns a LaFerrari.

Wouldn't matter what experience I have with the tyres, because I wouldn't be using the same bespoke versions. It would be like comparing a standard car to a modified car.

I can guess which one of those two you'd prefer. The one drawn with a ruler and set-square.

9. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    Sheesh. This BS again. It just shows the problems one magazine tester can make when they put the wrong pressure in the tyres to start with. The P1 at Laguna Seca with the correct pressure in the Trofeo Rs ran 15 laps within 0.3s of the hot lap and the tyres were still fine at the end. The owner of the car has also done much more laps on a single set of Trofeo Rs, so please research your facts a little better.

So actually, you could comfortably do 30 laps, pull out a 1 lap lead and then change tyres, if needed, and have a cup of tea, and still come out in the lead.

Only you're doing that.

Nope, that's ironically exactly what Porsche did by using hot lap mode, which only lasts ~2 minutes before depleting the battery.

The tyres don't get shagged unless you're a nob that runs them at cold street pressure instead of hot track pressure. The 918 battery does recharge in hot lap mode, but nowhere near as fast as it's used. Hence, why it's called 'hot lap' mode. And hence why the 2nd and 3rd laps after the hot lap were 1s and 1.5s slower respectively at Laguna Seca.

You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

10. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    Dieselchat.com

11. wrx

wrx Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Hi all!

I see that many people are trying to argue with MYCROFT/LMFAO, but I want to know that he is an old acquaintance of many people on the Internet.

Disputes with him are meaningless, because this man has never accepted foreign opinion and it is legendary.

Here are some historical facts about MYCROFT/LMFAO. Guess you will know his style :) And just to know, not to loose your time...

FAO Mycroft - Subaru Enthusiast Forum - ScoobyNet.com

Mycroft is offically Full of Poop..... - Subaru Enthusiast Forum - ScoobyNet.com

Soarer cont'd from page 20 (12+8) - Page 7 - Subaru Enthusiast Forum - ScoobyNet.com

And many... many more.

12. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    #16187 CarMaven, Feb 26, 2015
    Huh?

This: Coming from a guy who loudly proclaimed 918's were literally littered on dealer parking lots-available, and selling for under list price ("Yeah right").

SMH/"LMAO" indeed.

Nothing here. Next!

13. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Huh?

This: Coming from a guy who loudly proclaimed 918's were literally littered on dealer parking lots-available, and selling for under list price ("Yeah right").

SMH/"LMAO" indeed.

Nothing here. Next!

14. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So let me just reconfirm for the record. You have ZERO driving experience of the P1 or the 918? Well, that's pretty much case closed boys and girls. We have been arguing all this time with a person who has ZERO real world experience on these hypercars.

Also for the record, you are taking Treynor's statements (who doesn't own a 918), twisting them, and spinning off endless arguments with other 918/P1 owners online? You have both 918 and P1 owners telling you to shut the fu*k up, yet you continue.

Keep it coming LMFAO!

15. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Here's my simple take FWIW...

1. Nice to have all three because they are very different and are the latest and greatest.

2. Pick 918 if the guys want to drive really fast on the street and track. It will be the fastest and easiest to drive by far on tight curves and long sweepers. But maybe a little boring because it's too smooth. No rough edges at all. You cannot break it.

3. Pick P1 if you want to have a fun time and don't need to be the fastest. The turbo lag, lack of 4WS, 4WD and hydraulic suspension not really communicating will keep you behind the 918. But the turbos add character and you'll scare your friends with how fast it accelerates over 130 mph or so. More fun that 918, but don't try to hang with 918 in the curves. Don't try anything too crazy because you might break it.

4. Pick LaFerrari if you need to feel really satisfied in a short time. It will scare you to death. You still will not keep up with the 918 (and maybe P1) because you'll be afraid to. For straight line events, LaFerrari would be the clear winner over 150 or so. For shows, LaFerrari will be the most requested. P1 and 918 are not nearly as exotic. Like, P1, don't try anything too crazy or you'll break it.

That's pretty much the same deal with the Enzo, CGT and 12C, but a bit slower.

BTW, on the street, a well sorted GT3 RS or CGT will easily hang with 918, P1 and LaFerrari until you hit a long straight. Track is different, but a $100K track car will beat them all.

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16191 noone1, Feb 26, 2015
    I agree with this as well. When you back out all the power, the cars are not going to do vastly better things than far lower priced cars. Ignoring the power advantages, the chassis in the 650S, 488, and 911 are more than capable of dealing with anything you can throw at them in the real world.

But even on the track, if you stick race car level aero on them, lower them, and tune the suspensions enough, you'll probably be 95% of the way there as well until you hit a long straight. Remember, the Viper and Nismo GTR were only like 10-15s behind the 918 and they were massively down on power. Yeah, they were probably pretty damn aggressive and expertly set-up, but it goes to show just how capable these lesser cars are if you set them up properly.

17. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This post is spot on, I couldn't agree more! :D

18. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Huh? The suspension in the P1 is incredibly communicative. In fact the suspension, chassis, and steering provide lovely feedback of what the car is up to.

Have you driven a P1? I've never heard anyone who has come up with this critique. Of course I've never heard anyone who has driven P1 bemoan the lack of AWD or AWS either. The car has an incredible feel when you're driving it.

19. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    "Lesser" Nissan GT-R with 4WS, a bit more power and special tires will comfortably beat 918 at the Nurburgring. 918 will pull on a long stretch.

If Nissan demonstrated this a year or two ago (which they did not), Porsche would have scrambled to do better. McLaren and Ferrari would have found it interesting and then cheer to selling all their cars.

FWIW, I believe LaFerrari will be comfortable below 7, but it may be a year or two before someone shows that. P1 may do it as well, but you need to find someone with big b@11s.

20. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Just going by my personal experience with 12C. It takes a lot of practice to know the limits on the street. Can't imagine P1 being much better, but looking forward to trying.

21. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I just checked and you're right. Sorry about getting that wrong. The 918 is the second fastest at VIR. My point is I'd love to see them compete at our track because I think it could be more suited to the P1 than the tracks they've so-far compared them on.

I don't know Yas Marina other than from video games but I've driven Spa and it would be an awesome track to stretch out these hypercars and see what they could do! I've driven a 650S on Spa and I absolutely loved it. It has become my favorite track.

22. Apolo1

Apolo1 Karting

Feb 10, 2015
    Ref 918
    I am confused as to why you say that the power will drop off when the batts run down,? the fact is that the e-motor output will remain the same if the batts are at 50% or 90%.

So why do you keep pushing this point.....

23. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I would be VERY happy if I owned ANY of the three cars! (918, P1, LaFe)

24. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC

No offence taken. You are not the first, and certainly won't be the last. I have taken plenty at mlife for posting what I have uncovered. You, like most P1 owners, for some reason are super sensitive to negativity on the P1.

Thank you for posting the 918 output graph. As one can clearly see, the power output is very complex, which is the same for the 3 hybrid hypercars. There is no 'fixed' valuation like a conventional gas powered machine. A 903HP rating may not be a true 903. 887HP certainly isn't always 887. I have been saying that for the longest time, don't take the 903HP, 887HP or whatever at face value, the hybrids works differently than normal cars. No one would listen, especially the P1 crowd, they are just religiously admiring Ron Dennis' words and the 903 number and nothing else can get through.

I tried to dumb it down in earlier posts to explain the situation, just give simple numbers to explain the principle, in reality the calculations will certainly be a lot more complex.

You already have the P1 delivery and enjoying it, don't you want to understand more about your own car? You really should find time and have a long chat with Woking discussing how the car works, and have them skip the PR speak also. I certainly did with Porsche on the 918, and when Dr Wallliser start using PR terms, I question further just to get past that mask.

I have a 918, but I certainly will not blindly defending it nor Porsche, it is no saint and there are plenty of problems and delays and most of which I had documented elsewhere publicly and give them plenty of black eyes. One of the latest recall on the 918 about the front suspension arm was actually discovered first on my car during PDI, it was installed upside down, and cracked a level sensor. A bunch of cars got the don't drive notice immediately after and had to return to dealers to get that sorted out. You would have thought those Germans would have discovered that during their validation time at the factory. I also have one of my buttons' finish delaminated from the inside, I certainly don't expect that on a million dollar car and Porsche again got an ear full from me.

25. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I don't know what they're selling for, but they are definitely sitting in showrooms.

I hope you don't give yourself a concussion with all those smh's.